View Full Version : just got the passat back from the garage

hongkongstuey
23-02-2009, 06:19 PM
head gasket
water pump
thermostat
head re-face and pressure test
cylinder head bolts

+ labour, he charged me for 5 hours, took 7 hours (he had the car for a week though)

total £349.28

i think i did alright :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

so glad to give him the harlequin courtesy car back, has been the slowest 270 miles of my entire life :aargh4: i asked how the gasket looked after he removed it and he said he couldnt tell from looking at it, but said cyl 2+3 were clean where water had got into cylinders, 1+4 were sooty. i reckon it could have been a lot worse and i caught it just in time :beerchug:

paulthefox
23-02-2009, 06:27 PM
head gasket
water pump
thermostat
head re-face and pressure test
cylinder head bolts

+ labour, he charged me for 5 hours, took 7 hours (he had the car for a week though)

total £349.28

i think i did alright :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

so glad to give him the harlequin courtesy car back, has been the slowest 270 miles of my entire life :aargh4: i asked how the gasket looked after he removed it and he said he couldnt tell from looking at it, but said cyl 2+3 were clean where water had got into cylinders, 1+4 were sooty. i reckon it could have been a lot worse and i caught it just in time :beerchug:
good result then by the sound of it it was caught just in time and saved u alot of grieve and money:beerchug:

paul

hongkongstuey
23-02-2009, 06:38 PM
i build engines for a living and its bad enough locating and fixing a problem on one thats not in a car let alone doing the back breaking work taking it all apart, one thing they missed is a self tap screw out of the turbo heat shield and the air box is a bit loose. just didnt want the fiasco i had with my 306 about 6-7 years ago, that was a more effective water pump than engine :biglaugh:

cbrpaul
23-02-2009, 08:39 PM
good price that , :D did you not have the cambelt done while he was in there too ?

£50 for parts thats all , ;)

Also I was wondering , is your passat chipped ? AFN tdi is 110 bhp

:beerchug:

hongkongstuey
24-02-2009, 07:52 PM
good price that , :D did you not have the cambelt done while he was in there too ?

£50 for parts thats all , ;)

Also I was wondering , is your passat chipped ? AFN tdi is 110 bhp

:beerchug:

i had my cambelt done 10k ago, he did say if there was any sign of wear/contamination that he would replace it, still under the 12 month 12k warranty for that anyway (just). mine is chipped yeah, having it rolling roaded this weekend at the group meet :beerchug: im hoping its more than the 143hp quoted figure.

took it easy on the way to work, saw 68.8mpg :biglaugh: still going well. havent given it more than 3k revs or more than a light throttle yet either.

cbrpaul
24-02-2009, 07:55 PM
143bhp , nice ;)

10k on a cambelt should be fine

but ,,,, do you think remap etc, contributed to your head gasket going ?

paul b
25-02-2009, 12:37 AM
143bhp , nice ;)

I'd have thought it would hurt the clutch more than anything.

These TDIs have plenty of extra grunt in them, just got to be unlocked.

RickT
25-02-2009, 12:58 AM
143bhp , nice ;)

In my opinion you should NEVER re-tension a cam-belt twice which has already been running for 10k.... :aargh4:

Good price... but i would of got a new belt for the sake of £25.00 ..

Rick

paul b
25-02-2009, 01:26 AM
In my opinion you should NEVER re-tension a cam-belt twice which has already been running for 10k.... :aargh4:

Rick
Can second the above, I believe it is THAT that ultimately snapped the belt on my Octavia, resulting in a horrendous amount of damage that, if I wasn't doing the work myself, would have gone down as an insurance right-off.

Eshrules
25-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Was this repair as a result of a cambelt failure? Having gone through this absolute ball ache recently, I can only agree with the above, in that a new timing belt really ought to have been fitted. for the sake of £20/30 for a belt, it's not worth the hassle.

Was the condition of your valves checked? I presume they were sound mate?

cbrpaul
25-02-2009, 06:10 PM
quote]

In my opinion you should NEVER re-tension a cam-belt twice which has already been running for 10k....

Rick

Rick i was just wondering why you have quoted me, above ?

I have not said either way whether to its ok to re-tension a belt or not

I merely stated a belt with 10k and not even 12 months old should be ok , so please dont quote me out of context

Im sure it wasn’t intentional

cheers

paul b
25-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Was this repair as a result of a cambelt failure? Having gone through this absolute ball ache recently, I can only agree with the above, in that a new timing belt really ought to have been fitted. for the sake of £20/30 for a belt, it's not worth the hassle.

Was the condition of your valves checked? I presume they were sound mate?
Are you talking about me or Stuey there? If me, yes 2 valves were shot and a lot of the buckets.

quote]

Rick i was just wondering why you have quoted me, above ?

I have not said either way whether to its ok to re-tension a belt or not

I merely stated a belt with 10k and not even 12 months old should be ok , so please dont quote me out of context

Im sure it wasn’t intentional

cheers
Paul you made a very good point, you asked if Stuey had the timing belt done at the time, I think Rick is just making the point that if its been off it shouldn't go back on again... ;)

cbrpaul
25-02-2009, 07:00 PM
ah i see, the wonders of the net, things can taken in the wrong way :D

no harm done ;)

paul b
25-02-2009, 07:03 PM

no harm done ;)
Indeed. Its just words on a screen. :p

hongkongstuey
25-02-2009, 07:06 PM

no harm done ;)

cant say either way wether the chip caused the gasket to go? as for the cam belt, i wouldnt know either way, they can go for multiple reasons, mine had the first one on since new and that was 8/9 years old

paul b
25-02-2009, 11:12 PM
cant say either way wether the chip caused the gasket to go? as for the cam belt, i wouldnt know either way, they can go for multiple reasons, mine had the first one on since new and that was 8/9 years old
So they took the head off and put the old cambelt back on?!?!

Dangerous game Stuey, your garage is playing with fire... :aargh4:

hongkongstuey
26-02-2009, 08:47 PM
oh well, if it goes its goes, the garage said it will be fine, so i trust them seeing as they have probably changed a couple of thousand belts, they know when to and when not to, i'd say belts have changed a lot over the years quality wise. lets put this one to bed eh. i am not worried, it may be frowned upon but they are at fault if it goes premeturely, if it does, i'll make sure they pay for it to be repaired.