PDA

View Full Version : A4 TDi (2000) is Underpowered: Is it the Turbo?

Cass
11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
:1zhelp:Hi,
I bought an A4 Avant (W Reg) at the weekend - 1.9 TDi 110. Drove it round town and it felt fine. Only drove in a built up area and very bendy lanes though... once I'd paid my money and started heading home I got to a bit of wider road. Tried overtaking a car doing 40mph, got alongside it and realised there was absolutely no power there, and really had to struggle past :(. (My old 1.3 Punto would have lost me by miles!) Then when I got to a dual carriageway (with a slight incline) the car would barely pull 40mph (Managed to get it to 60 going down hill!). The revs would increase but speed would not.
I bought it from the 2nd owners - and I don't think they have had it serviced in 20,000 miles / 2 years! (But this resulted in a reduced price...)
I turned around, went back to the vendors and they have agreed to take it into a garage to get it looked at - if they get it sorted I've agreed to proceed with the sale, if it's not fixable (or too expensive) sale will (should) be cancelled.
Any suggestions as to what it's likely to be? I've been reading threads on here and it seems that it could be one of about a thousand things! :confused:
What I am most worried about is that it's a serious fault, which may be fixed temporarily, leaving me with a completely worthless car. :(
I would appreciate any ideas as to what the fault could be and whether a temporary fix for such a fault is possible...
Thanks