PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Strikes

Braveheart1981
23-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey Guys.

Let me start by pointing out that I love my car. Its an '04 1.9TDi 130 Avant. She's great!!!!!

However, I developed a problem at the weekend. My Wife To Be decided it was time to trade in her 8 year old Ford Focus and bought a lovely '05 2.0TDi A3.

So here is my problem her car is now 140BHP in a dinky wee car and I'm now feeling sluggish in my 130BHP A4.

Definitely time for that remap I've been promising myself I think. So a few questions:

1. I think my clutch maybe on its way out will a 170BHP remap finish it?

2. How difficult is it to replace the clutch myself? Are their any good alternative clutches ie uprated?

3. Anyone ever had a remap from A4Audi in Clydebank?

Thanks in advance!

Braveheart1981
25-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Just Managed to get my hands on some Forte Advanced Diesel Treatment and stuck the first bottle in half a tank today so we will see if this improves things to A3 beating levels. LOL

Anyone using Forte Regularly or just as one off's???

danclyon
25-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Just Managed to get my hands on some Forte Advanced Diesel Treatment and stuck the first bottle in half a tank today so we will see if this improves things to A3 beating levels. LOL

Anyone using Forte Regularly or just as one off's???

I used to use it twice a year on my petrol Mitsy - both the fuel system treatment and the engine flush prior to the oil change. Nothing but praise for the stuff as the colour of the oil was still light golden after 6k miles in a car with 80k miles on it :)

danclyon
25-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Guys.

Let me start by pointing out that I love my car. Its an '04 1.9TDi 130 Avant. She's great!!!!!

However, I developed a problem at the weekend. My Wife To Be decided it was time to trade in her 8 year old Ford Focus and bought a lovely '05 2.0TDi A3.

So here is my problem her car is now 140BHP in a dinky wee car and I'm now feeling sluggish in my 130BHP A4.

Definitely time for that remap I've been promising myself I think. So a few questions:

1. I think my clutch maybe on its way out will a 170BHP remap finish it?

2. How difficult is it to replace the clutch myself? Are their any good alternative clutches ie uprated?

3. Anyone ever had a remap from A4Audi in Clydebank?

Thanks in advance!

If the 5th Gear tests that were done a couple of months back on the "Performance diesels" (ie Shell VPower and BP Ultimate) are anything to go by - you could get another 7bhp out of a fill with that....then there's only 3bhp in it ;-) Keep hers running on supermarket diesel and you might just about balance the BHP figures out......ofc the power delivery will be different!

:beerchug:

dan.

benjie
25-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Don't forget that the 1.9TDI 130ps engine is widely regarded as the best diesel vw have made to date, many arfe known to put out 140ps+ after they've been run in (80k). But you have another 600kg (at least) to lose before things will be equal!

Braveheart1981
25-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I know I'm a bit over weight but don't think even I have 600kg to lose lol

benjie
25-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I was referring to the weight difference of the cars! But I've just checked and it's only about 70-80kg! So just the other 520 for you then!

danclyon
26-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Don't forget that the 1.9TDI 130ps engine is widely regarded as the best diesel vw have made to date, many arfe known to put out 140ps+ after they've been run in (80k). But you have another 600kg (at least) to lose before things will be equal!

*boggle* - did they include a spare bag of horses somewhere under the bonnet that gets released at @80k then - as it normally goes the other way :)

Dan.

danclyon
26-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I was referring to the weight difference of the cars! But I've just checked and it's only about 70-80kg! So just the other 520 for you then!

*double boggle* - there's a lot more car in the A4 compared to the A3 - how on earth did they achieve that feat of logic......doubly so when there's apparently some extra horses in there too ;-)

Dan.

Braveheart1981
26-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Maybe their is some unicorns rather than horses that kick in at 80k miles hence the extra power and their wings help make the car lighter.

Marco34
26-02-2009, 10:50 AM
If the 5th Gear tests that were done a couple of months back on the "Performance diesels" (ie Shell VPower and BP Ultimate) are anything to go by - you could get another 7bhp out of a fill with that....then there's only 3bhp in it ;-) Keep hers running on supermarket diesel and you might just about balance the BHP figures out......ofc the power delivery will be different!

dan.

The only thing that bothere me about that test on 5th gears is that they didn't use the standard fuel from BP and Shell!! Why choose Supermarket fuel then go straight ti Ultimate and V-power. I would be keen to see what BHP their standard fuels produce. ;)

Marco34
26-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I've had my 130 remapped to 165bhp. I think that's enough. The torque was said to be an increased to 380. On vagcom the other day mine registered 400Nm... :aargh4: Higher than I thought. I'm wondering if VCDS was reading right!??!?!? I drive carefully anyway, I don't boot it low in the rev range. I think the clutch should withstand being driven hard but with care! Boy racer style driving could well see it off.

A remap is a must on these engines. I'd been thinking about it for years then decided at 43k to go with it. I'm very happy with it now and the car is very nice to drive. Iopted for a more mid range pull and the ability to keep in gears.

Mine was form more-bhp in Nutsford Cheshire.

lucas88
26-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Go for the re-map mate. As Marco said, torque and mid-range pull will be vastly improved and that will not only make the car faster but far more satisfying to drive.

Clinterous
26-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Definitely go for a remap, but don't tell the wife, just to baffle her!:D

There is no way of telling what will happen to the clutch, but as Marco says, some mechanical sympathy will go a long way. My car has 207k on the clock and is running a remap, all on the original clutch.

benjie
26-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I have a mate whose 130 bora was putting out 138bhp (standard) when he'd done 99k, now remapped etc with 170ish. Remember the tuner on the day saying it's not unusual for them to be putting out more.

As for the car weights... check here for the A4 (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=23831) and here for the A3 (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=28835)

Braveheart1981
26-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all your info so far guys and I suppose there isn't much of a weight difference so a remap should give me the edge back lol.

I really can't have the WTB running a more powerful car.

The clutch might be ok it seems fine but one day last week i changed gear and when i lifted off the clutch and back on the gas and the rev's shot up and the speed didn't change then after a couple of seconds everything went back to normal. As i say it has only happened once so might just be a one off.

spartacus 68
27-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Forte diesel can be used direct into the fuel filter. Drive the car hard in 2nd and 3rd gear for 5-10 minutes and look at the plumes of soot behind you. You'll need to replace the fuel filter afterwards.

I swear by the stuff - my 80 TDi Avant used to get it twice a year and was running sweet at 175k. Pity it's now £15 a bottle.

benjie
27-02-2009, 02:28 AM
I've had my 130 remapped to 165bhp. I think that's enough. The torque was said to be an increased to 380. On vagcom the other day mine registered 400Nm... :aargh4: Higher than I thought. I'm wondering if VCDS was reading right!??!?!?

Mine was form more-bhp in Nutsford Cheshire.

Marco, mine was remapped at more-bhp too. Any chance you could tell me how/give me a link to the instructions for measuring the car's torque using VCDS please? I've had a quick look, but can't find anyhing useful!
Cheers

Braveheart1981
27-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I managed to get my hands on 5 bottles of Forte for £49 including delivery.

I'm just putting it into the tank with 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank and letting it run through that way. Should I still be looking to change the fuel filter once it has run through.

Also I was gonna put a bottle in each of 2 consecutive tanks to give it a good clean as it's done 90K miles and is just running a wee bit rough. Nothing major just not quite perfect.

Marco34
27-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Marco, mine was remapped at more-bhp too. Any chance you could tell me how/give me a link to the instructions for measuring the car's torque using VCDS please? I've had a quick look, but can't find anyhing useful!
Cheers

Hi Benjie

Have you got the registered version? I found nothing documented, just experiementing. I'm using the latest version of vcds 805.02 (I think). Anyway, go to engine and select measure blocks. Scroll up until you see a torque measurement. I think it's beyond 20. I'm at work so can't check. Just keep browsing up through the modules. If you can safely place your laptop in the front well, go for a drive and log the data. I found an excel spreadsheet that allows you too enter rpm values and torque which gives you BHP. I'll see if I can find it.

With regards to more-bhp, how have you found the car? I've noticed slightly more rumble from the engine. I expect due to the advanced timing. The turbo on mine spools much lower down. I didn't notice much difference at first on that rest run Jason has you do. Only when I drove home and after 100 50 miles would I say it really became evidant!!