PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Golf MK5 TDI engine

Mini Mark
23-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi Guys

yesterday I decided to check the oil on my MK5 Golf 1.9TDI when I **** the bonnet it wouldn't lock down!! Well we sorted that but I dropped a torque bit driver down the front of the engine after what seamed like hours (this is where classic cars are so much easier to work on the tools fall right through!! lol) I managed to get it back but I was covered in dirt and grime so I've decided I need to clean the engine a bit.

I know I can use engine cleaner and water but is there any bits I need to cover up can anyone recommend a good cleaner that will get rid of 85,000 miles of dirt and rubbish that has built up.

paul b
23-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi Guys

yesterday I decided to check the oil on my MK5 Golf 1.9TDI when I **** the bonnet it wouldn't lock down!! Well we sorted that but I dropped a torque bit driver down the front of the engine after what seamed like hours (this is where classic cars are so much easier to work on the tools fall right through!! lol) I managed to get it back but I was covered in dirt and grime so I've decided I need to clean the engine a bit.

I know I can use engine cleaner and water but is there any bits I need to cover up can anyone recommend a good cleaner that will get rid of 85,000 miles of dirt and rubbish that has built up.
I used Gunk from Halfords and then jet washed it. A good liberal spray, rubbing it with a rag followed by a jet wash. Looked good afterwards.

Don't stand too close to the engine with the jet wash, (if you have one) hold it a couple of feet away, you don't want to dislodge any connectors. ;)

elitedetailer
28-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi Guys

This stuff is great and Gurcharn uses it when he's cleaning engines.

303 Aerospace Cleaner (Larger 32oz bottle) (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=79&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) It can be diluted also and be used on interior etc.

Here is a good protectant for your engine bay:
303 Aerospace Protectant (Large 32oz bottle) (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=49&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug: