PDA

View Full Version : glovebox woes

1660bob
23-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi all, opened my glovebox yesterday and CRACK!-the hinge broke :mad:.It `s always been too stiff to fall under its own weight,(Ooh Err missus!:Blush2: ) and I have read on this forum that the damper is at fault and should be replaced to prevent such a calamity .Well too late now, but I was appalled at the ease at which it broke, and even more appalled at the cost of a new lid (about £88 plus Vat, £13 plus vat for a new damper) I spoke to my audi dealer and they say that there is no recall, but tell me "It will happen again unless you fit the new (less stiff ?)damper" Surely this is an admission of design fault here and Audi should (or have) recalled cars for this?
Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Cheers, Bob.

Bristle Hound
23-02-2009, 11:31 AM
My A4 is a Sept. 2005 and I'm on my third glovebox!

The first went within a month, damper stuck.

The second went 3 days out of warranty. Same problem again.

Luckily for me they replaced it out of goodwill rather than the £120 repair bill.

I agree there is a fault with the glove box, so much so its been completely redesigned for the B8 model.

toff
23-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Do you have a CD changer in your glovebox?

I'm just about to sell mine, complete with JVC CD changer and interface adapter (for RNS-E) if you're interested.

Al.

1660bob
23-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Toff, but i have just fitted my Alpine changer and ordered the interface for it. looks like i`ll have to devise some sort of repair for the time being, Bob.

SINGHY
23-02-2009, 08:42 PM
My gloveboxx damper was replaced whilst the car was in for a 20k service, I didn't even know there was a problem with it, the work was done under warranty and apparently it was a recall fault.

1660bob
23-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks Singhy,could you tell me who your dealer is, if this is a recall issue,I could perhaps contact them to put pressure on my local dealer to toe the line on this one....., cheers, Bob.

SINGHY
23-02-2009, 10:23 PM
It was Bradford Audi, good luck.

JohnH
23-02-2009, 11:00 PM
My A4 is a Sept. 2005 and I'm on my third glovebox!

The first went within a month, damper stuck.

The second went 3 days out of warranty. Same problem again.

Luckily for me they replaced it out of goodwill rather than the £120 repair bill.

I agree there is a fault with the glove box, so much so its been completely redesigned for the B8 model.

yeh... but the glovebox light is an optional extra on the B8 - strikes me as a little cheeky on a car costing £25K and up ?

Lord Buckingham
25-02-2009, 02:47 PM
On my first B7, 05MY, I broke 3 hinges, all replaced under warranty, my second B7, 07MY didnt suffer at all from this.

Cheers

Richard

Niexplorer
25-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi all, opened my glovebox yesterday and CRACK!-the hinge broke :mad:.It `s always been too stiff to fall under its own weight,(Ooh Err missus!:Blush2: ) and I have read on this forum that the damper is at fault and should be replaced to prevent such a calamity .Well too late now, but I was appalled at the ease at which it broke, and even more appalled at the cost of a new lid (about £88 plus Vat, £13 plus vat for a new damper) I spoke to my audi dealer and they say that there is no recall, but tell me "It will happen again unless you fit the new (less stiff ?)damper" Surely this is an admission of design fault here and Audi should (or have) recalled cars for this?
Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Cheers, Bob.Do you have a part no. for the damper as my glovebox has the same problem?

Niexplorer
26-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you have a part no. for the damper as my glovebox has the same problem?Anyone??

redducati
26-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh **** mine has now snaped at the hinge, Really not impressed. Im begining to wonder about these B7 TDI's after reading some of the horror stories on here regarding reliability. My B5 1.9 TDI never missed a beat and nothing ever snapped

Mafu
09-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Do you have a part no. for the damper as my glovebox has the same problem?

exactly the sam thing happened mine - stiff glovebox then one day the hindge breaks. got it fixed under 3 month warranty (from non audi dealer) and they just removed the damper so theres no probem anymore. without the damper the lid still opens smooth enough - doesnt slam down.

Meteoro
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi, my problem is different, I need to replace the glovebox in order to install a CD Changer, I read that some of you may be have one, please let me know. Audi A4 B7 (USA)

Meteoro
02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Do you have a CD changer in your glovebox?

I'm just about to sell mine, complete with JVC CD changer and interface adapter (for RNS-E) if you're interested.

Al.

Hi toff, you still have this glovebox? I am interested.

Thanks.

redducati
02-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi toff, you still have this glovebox? I am interested.

Thanks.

Id be interested in your old one if you find the one your after

Meteoro
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Id be interested in your old one if you find the one your after

Hope I can find the one for replacement, I want to keep my car OEM. Hope some one has this Glovebox with accept the CD Changer, Audi A4 2008 2.07, the inside is gray. I don't need the door but if is complete, no problems.

bez101
02-04-2009, 08:28 PM

i have a brand new black glovebox i bought it for my a4 but sold it b4 i fitted it if ur interested pm me

Meteoro
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
i have a brand new black glovebox i bought it for my a4 but sold it b4 i fitted it if ur interested pm me

Hi, is this glovebox with the setup for a CD Changer and for what year it is?

bez101
02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi, is this glovebox with the setup for a CD Changer and for what year it is?
it fits any b6 b7 no cd changer but if u are replaceing your glove box u have the cd changer part you need

Meteoro
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
it fits any b6 b7 no cd changer but if u are replaceing your glove box u have the cd changer part you need

Thanks but that is exactly the part I need, the one I have is not for CD Changer, I am looking for one that came ready to install this unit.

A4_3.0_TDI
03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
As the third owner of my car - The glovebox had always been stiff.
Until it snapped I didn't know there was a common problem.

I'd advise anyone to either remove the damper (leave the switch in light off position!) or get the updated one before it costs you a ridiculous amount of money.

I did a nice bodge job with some long wood screws and epoxy resin that lasted a few months until I could pick one up from Ebay (Took 12months of bidding to one for £10).

My question is - the newer box has an Airbag disable switch. Can this be incorporated into my wiring? Not that I’ll ever use it - but it’s a shame not to improve things.

c4a5er
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Just on the stiff glovebox issue, I checked mine after reading this thread and found i had to pull it open. I removed the damper and popped off the switch which allows you to pull out the piston. Then put a light smear of silicon grease on it and reassemble. It now drops at just the right rate under it's own weight.
15 minute job, no cost. Thanks for the warnings :beerchug: