PDA

View Full Version : Cupra - chips, turbo and tinted glass

Mav2006
11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
My brother in law has just bought a yr 2000 cupra. It has had some mods

1) It has a little gadget that keeps the engine running for a while after you remove the key - told me it was to esnure the turbo cools down. Is this needed?

2) Chip - I believe it has been chipped up to 220 BHP, what effect does this have on the insurance. How easy is it to reinstall the original

3) Glass - the glass has been tinted quite heavily, how can one check that it is still legal ?

4) He says it only runs on super unleaded. I thought that the ecu would compensate for the octane level automitcally.

5) Is there any thing to look out for on these models?

Thanks

Niall76
11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
1 - That's called a turbo timer and is very very usefull. When the turbo has been going at it it gets very hot. The turbo timer runs the car between 1 and 2 minutes (you can set it) and ensures that the turbo gets oil. Stops it dying prematurely. Use it every time.

2 - You need to tell your insurance, the cost may go up? I'm not sure, but they do need to know. Very easy to install the original, they just plug in.

3 - There is a limit although I don't know what that is, google it? Pepipoo may know?

4 - Sorry, I can't help on this one.

5 - Sorry again, I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows? As far as I'm aware though they're pretty good. Reliable, quick and nice to drive.

Hope that's of some help.

Mav2006
11-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks very helpful. My reason for asking about the turbo timer is that if it's that important why don't all turbo engines have them? I have a 2003 Pst 1.8t which I believe is the same engine?

Niall76
11-03-2007, 06:26 PM
A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to run down in speed and cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply insuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off.

devonutopia
11-03-2007, 06:48 PM
The chip may not be that easy to remove - you need to find out where it was done. It may not be a switchable map like Revo, etc. (Eg with my map, if I suddenly went total stark raving mad, I'd need to drive to Peterborough to get mine removed)

I believe the current laws on front tints means that 70% light must transmit through the front glass. With may standard windows from the factory already only letting through 80% light, it only needs the slightest tint to make it illegal. From the B pillar back it doesn't matter.

If the car remapped on S.U I would continue running it on it. It will be really nasty to drive on regular fuel - lumpy, less power, smokey. I would not advise it. If you return the car to standard tune it may not be as bad, but it will prefer running on S.U for sure.

Cupras are pretty solid, so nothing extra to really look out for - just the usual. Be aware of the service intervals, especially the cambelt one. :)