PDA

View Full Version : Does this look normal? EGR

Marc1
22-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Taken the engine cover off my B6 1.9TDI 130 as I'm getting an overboost fault, so thought I'd check all hoses etc and see if everything looks ok. Noticed there is a lot of oil or grease around the EGR, does this appear to be normal? Here's a few pictures:-

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp108/1-marc/220220092959.jpg
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp108/1-marc/220220092960.jpg
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp108/1-marc/220220092961.jpg

http://audi-sport.net/vb/images/misc/progress.gif

Crasher
22-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Completely normal, nothing to worry about.

Marc1
22-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Phew, cheers Crasher. Was starting to panic for a minute then. Now on with the rest of the checking.

spartacus 68
22-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Would it be worth taking off to clean?

Crasher
22-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Possibly but cleaning an EGR valve effectively is a disgusting operation if there is significant internal build up, which I regularly see at 1-cm thick. I would replace the EGR valve if you can afford it and scoop out as much crud from the manifold as possible using an old spoon.

geffg
23-02-2009, 10:45 AM
my car is smokey when you put your foot down, is it the egr that will cause this, no other problems with running of it. what would you clean the egr with? how much roughly is a new one?

Crasher
23-02-2009, 11:47 AM
A genuine EGR valve is £170, less from places like GSF if they can get them. I clean them in a tub of very strong neat alkaline truck wash and if you don’t use gloves, your hands fall off. It is a vial and disgusting job and not one I relish. A failed/blocked EGR can cause smoking but so can quite a few other problems.

danclyon
23-02-2009, 01:30 PM

Mine looked like that but I managed to get Audi to change it....to be fair it was spraying oil out.....

D.

Clinterous
23-02-2009, 02:40 PM
A genuine EGR valve is £170, less from places like GSF if they can get them. I clean them in a tub of very strong neat alkaline truck wash and if you don’t use gloves, your hands fall off. It is a vial and disgusting job and not one I relish. A failed/blocked EGR can cause smoking but so can quite a few other problems.

I'm sure you've seen those kits that do away with the EGR completely? Whats your views: keep the EGR connected or do away it?

Crasher
23-02-2009, 02:46 PM
If it was spraying oil out, the problem is not with the EGR but where the oil is coming from, which is either the breather or the turbo.

My views on deleting emissions reduction equipment are not printable; the acceptable version is that I think anyone who removes emissions reduction equipment should be flayed alive in public, that is the soft version….

danclyon
23-02-2009, 03:17 PM
If it was spraying oil out, the problem is not with the EGR but where the oil is coming from, which is either the breather or the turbo.

My views on deleting emissions reduction equipment are not printable; the acceptable version is that I think anyone who removes emissions reduction equipment should be flayed alive in public, that is the soft version….

It was deffo coming out of the EGR I watched it do it - they checked everything else and all was fine - it was a very very fine mist - which I guess would account for the gunk on the one in the pic....

Crasher
23-02-2009, 04:38 PM
The only problem is that the EGR valve does not have an oil feed, it is fed with pressurised air so if oil is escaping from the EGR valve to that extent, where is that amount of oil coming from? A small amount of oil mist is always present in the charge air from the turbo and breather system but by your description the engine should be using a lot of oil.

danclyon
23-02-2009, 05:20 PM
The only problem is that the EGR valve does not have an oil feed, it is fed with pressurised air so if oil is escaping from the EGR valve to that extent, where is that amount of oil coming from? A small amount of oil mist is always present in the charge air from the turbo and breather system but by your description the engine should be using a lot of oil.

According to the dealer - it's using less than they would expect....i've used 1.2l in the last 33k miles.....(as in i've had to put that much in over and above that which they have changed...) I would guess that the oil mist must be what was coming out? If it's any help it was coming from what looks like the "plunger" on that photo?

spartacus 68
23-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I've heard the EGR can be cleaned using carb cleaner - but I've no idea how successful this is - I've haven't personally tried it. Incidentally if you do take it off and clean it - you'll need a new gasket to refit.;)

Crasher
23-02-2009, 10:08 PM
You would need a LOT of carb cleaner believe me! The gasket is an “O” ring and can be re-used without a problem if you can’t get hold of one.

fifer1981
27-02-2009, 12:49 AM
is it normal for a not loud but noticeable when you have the bonet open hissing sound coming from the egr valve area at idle ? i toohave a fair bit of a black oil like liquid under the egr valve area. i heard a hissing at the same time my mpg has dropped. could this be boost leak even tho its noticeable at idle when the turbo is not providing pressure ?

Crasher
27-02-2009, 11:50 AM
No that is not normal, probably a failed hose retaining barb. Is the metal hose fitting snug and straight to the EGR or back and offset?

fifer1981
27-02-2009, 02:45 PM
had the engine cover of so got my hands right round and ear right next to the egr cant hear the hiss coming directly from it, thinking it may be just sounds of all the belts mixed with back ground noise sounding like a faint hiss.

the metal flanged hose is siting on straight. is this where the black oil type liquid comes from ? as it looks like thats where my oily substance is coming from

Crasher
27-02-2009, 04:29 PM
It could bee a vacuum leak hiss from the control circuit, are you having any under boost 17964 code problems?