PDA

View Full Version : Whistling Turbo

alecmac
11-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a 1.9 TDI Mk5 SE 1994

I have just got this car and I am really impressed with the car just what I need but I have noticed what seems to be a whistle from the turbo (Between 2200 - 36000 Revs) its not very loud but its there.

I have never had a turbo car before is this normal or should I get it in the dealers while I still have 6 months of the warrenty period left?

Thanks

Eshrules
11-03-2007, 04:27 PM

I have just got this car and I am really impressed with the car just what I need but I have noticed what seems to be a whistle from the turbo (Between 2200 - 36000 Revs) its not very loud but its there.

I have never had a turbo car before is this normal or should I get it in the dealers while I still have 6 months of the warrenty period left?

Thanks

LOL, dont take it back to the dealers for heavens sake you would be so embaressed.... its fine matey, thats the sound of the turbo drawing the extra air into the engine.... nothing at all wrong there :D

alecmac
11-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks

What a prat

:D

Eshrules
11-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks

What a prat

LMAO there are more obvious mistakes to make, believe you and me :D live and learn fella, live and learn ;)

bora(ing) nick
11-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Dont you think that whistle sounds good......

Sometimes when mines just ticking over, you can here the Turbo kick in (ie whistle) for about 3 seconds and then phase out again....

I thought i had leaky boost hoses, but no loss on performance so just assumed it was normal.

Nick

tornadored7
14-03-2007, 04:03 AM

Thanks

Sorry a little confused; MK5 1994, 6 months of the Warranty left ?

That wasn't important, just confusing. What's more important is that your Turbo is whistling. Remember that sound, get used to it and try and understand when and how the Turbo sounds.

Over a period of time, this sound may diminish or even go without you really noticing it. It happened to me on my Golf MK3 TDI, which I've been driving for 10 years, with an associated loss of power.

It was only after solving the power loss problem, that I noticed the Turbo whistling hard again after a long lost time.

Hence to me the whistling is a good sign that the Turbo is operating well, and any queitening/silence a clue that something is amiss.

Eshrules
14-03-2007, 09:34 AM
:beerchug:
Sorry a little confused; MK5 1994, 6 months of the Warranty left ?

That wasn't important, just confusing. What's more important is that your Turbo is whistling. Remember that sound, get used to it and try and understand when and how the Turbo sounds.

Over a period of time, this sound may diminish or even go without you really noticing it. It happened to me on my Golf MK3 TDI, which I've been driving for 10 years, with an associated loss of power.

It was only after solving the power loss problem, that I noticed the Turbo whistling hard again after a long lost time.:beerchug:

Hence to me the whistling is a good sign that the Turbo is operating well, and any queitening/silence a clue that something is amiss.

:approve: yesh, oh hang on a min :confused: eh. im not stupid on these things, especially the turbo, but you confused me there matey. mk3 & mk4's are totally different cars and most of the common faults on the mk3 you wont find on the mk4.

the most common cause of power loss on the mk4 is the MAF sensor, if this goes, you will know about it from the power loss, not from the sound of the turbo. its highly unlikely that you'd notice a difference in 'whistle' before you'd notice any other, related fault/symptom.

as for the sound 'going' without you realising, i doubt that also, the whistle sound of the turbo is quite audible and noticeable, if it went, you would definitley notice it :approve:

in regards to the warranty, i think there's a typo with the year and mk details, but it is entirely possible to get a 6 month warranty from a used dealer, in fact some even offer as much as 12 months nowadays. :Blush:

hope this clears things up

amz
14-03-2007, 04:03 PM
The good old whistle...!!! I used to (emphasis on USED TO) love this sound when I bought my VW Golf Mk4 GT TDi in Jan 2006. It does whistle slightly, but not as loud or frequent either. I have noticed the power loss, which i'm associating with the MAF going. Fingers crossed that the whistle returns when I replace the MAF ;-)

alecmac
14-03-2007, 06:28 PM

:approve: yesh, oh hang on a min :confused: eh. im not stupid on these things, especially the turbo, but you confused me there matey. mk3 & mk4's are totally different cars and most of the common faults on the mk3 you wont find on the mk4.

the most common cause of power loss on the mk4 is the MAF sensor, if this goes, you will know about it from the power loss, not from the sound of the turbo. its highly unlikely that you'd notice a difference in 'whistle' before you'd notice any other, related fault/symptom.

as for the sound 'going' without you realising, i doubt that also, the whistle sound of the turbo is quite audible and noticeable, if it went, you would definitley notice it :approve:

in regards to the warranty, i think there's a typo with the year and mk details, but it is entirely possible to get a 6 month warranty from a used dealer, in fact some even offer as much as 12 months nowadays. :Blush:

Esh I confess I am stupid AND a bad typist.

I have a 2004 Mk5 1.9TDI and a perfectly acceptable whistle which I am learning to love and expect just as you old Turbo Vets do.

VW warranty runs out in November this year.

tornadored7
15-03-2007, 12:12 AM

Hi Esh....,

1) Thanks for putting me straight on the dealer issue. I've been driving my Golf TDI for around 10 years therefore fortunately haven't had the need to visit a Non VW dealer during that time.

My point is if you own a car for this length of time, things do tend to gradually change/deteriorate from when your first drove the car. In my case, the Turbo did progressively quiten, with associated power loss. It’s one of those things that you have to experience, in order to understand I suppose.

I am not an expert on TDIs (there are many far more knowledge members in http://www.tdiclub.com. I have alot of respect for them, and look forward to learning alot from them.

2) You mentioned that Golf MK3s and MK4s are totally different cars. This is true from a design, parts and performance perspective. However, regarding the engines/boost circuits there is alot in common.

More so for the Golf MK3s and the early VE based Golf MK4s. Granted, the latter PD TDIs are significantly different (completely different injection system, some larger turbos and some stronger engine blocks).

From a logical/conceptual point of view, I think that there are sufficient engine/boost path MK3/MK4 similarities to provide an understanding and a knowledgebase, to share experience and aid diagnosis when necessary. The variations can be dealt with seperately.

(UML / OO Modelleing excersise ?)

I'd much rather have a proper understanding of the TDIs internals, in order to properly drive and maintain my car, and to equip me with some level of knowledge so as not to be dependent on a dealer, or another mechanic who isn't proficient with TDI engines.

As a MK3 Golf owner, I learn alot from other MK4, Passat, Vento, Seat ... TDI owners.

Well that is my perspective ...

3) Power loss issues are superbly documented on the http://www.tdiclub.com (http://www.tdiclub.com/) website. Irrespective of the Golf model MK3/MK4/MK5, To provide good power, both the MAF and the boost path need to be operating properly.

It is well known that the MK4 suffers more from MAF issues than the MK3. This is widely attributed to the MK4 MAFs being B*SCH MAFs, rather than the better Pierburg MAFs. Nevertheless, the MK3 MAFs do fail/degrade and will produce the same symptoms as MK4 MAFs.

Likewise there are common MK3/MK4 issues regarding boost power loss.
N75, boost hoses, Excercising the turbo, Intercooler, EGR ...
With variations arising due to wastegates/VNT turbos.

tornadored7
15-03-2007, 12:26 AM
The good old whistle...!!! I used to (emphasis on USED TO) love this sound when I bought my VW Golf Mk4 GT TDi in Jan 2006. It does whistle slightly, but not as loud or frequent either. I have noticed the power loss, which i'm associating with the MAF going. Fingers crossed that the whistle returns when I replace the MAF ;-)

Hi amz,

Please update us/this thread with the results of your MAF replacement. A new MAF is likely to restore your power but not necessarily the turbo whistle.

If a known good/verified MAF is used to replace your current MAF, and you are still experiencing power issues, it is possible that you may have an issue in your boost circuit.

However, hoping things go well ...

tornadored7
15-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Esh I confess I am stupid AND a bad typist.

I have a 2004 Mk5 1.9TDI and a perfectly acceptable whistle which I am learning to love and expect just as you old Turbo Vets do.

VW warranty runs out in November this year.

I think that the MK5 TDI is a great car. If you decide to keep your car and maintain it well, you should be able to get at least 10 years of good use, just remember the whistle. ;)