PDA

View Full Version : Question Auto to manual

Dr Jones
22-02-2009, 12:51 AM
How difficult is it to convert a MK1 golf from auto to manual transmission?
Is it just replacing the gearbox?
A friend of a friend has one for sale quite cheap but i hate Autos!
Cheers
Doc

wacky77
23-02-2009, 09:41 PM
You'll need the padal box (for the clutch pedal) and gear linkage too, would be well worth having a look at a manual verson first, check the bulkhead for where the clutch cable goes (maybe hydraulic which usually shares the brake fluid reservoir so you'd need that too in this case).
Basically you need to check tho bodywork for manual specific fixtures and fittings and make sure the auto version has the mounting points already available for the manual specific hardware.
It is highly unlikely VW would go to the expense of making an auto specific shell BUT you never know!

88jetta350
07-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm currently in the middle of said swap on my MKI, and have already completed this swap on my MKII Jetta.

1st of all, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a MKI with a hydraulic clutch.

Here's a list of parts you will need:

1. Transmission: to make this swap worth it, find a 5-spd transmission. An 020 out of a MKII will work also.
2. Engine Mounts: You need the Front, Rear, and Transmission mount. Make sure they are for whatever transmission you are using. 4-spd and 5-spd mounts are different.
3. Pedal box: There are 2 kinds of pedal boxes, one with a brake light switch, one without. Some MKI's have the brake light switch mounted on the master cylinder.
4. Shifter Rod and box
5. Shift linkage and relay rods: Again, make sure that you get the parts that pertain to either 4-spd or 5-spd. Almost all parts are different. IIRC, 4-spd relay rods have white ends, 5-spd have black ends.
6. Clutch, Flywheel and pressure plate
7. Steering Rack (YES, you need this): The MT steering rack has the mount for the shift linkage to bolt to. The AT rack does not have this.
8. Clutch Cable: Much easier to adjust a new clutch cable than an old, rusty one.
9. Throttle Cable: The automatic uses a really strange 2-cable setup, you will not be able to use these cables after you do the swap. What type of cable you need will depend on if it's Carb, CIS Mechanical FI, DigiII EFI (MKI Cabrio), or Diesel. If it's DigiII or CIS, you will probably have to change the throttle body as well, since the arm on the TB might be different from the Auto TB, and they are not interchangable. (I remember this from the MKII swap, MKI may be different.)

Also, make sure you determine if your new tranny has the same size axle flanges. There are 90mm and 100mm flanges, and the inner CV Joint must be the same size. This is not so much of an issue on the MKI as it is on the MKII.

Things you should consider renewing before you install the parts.

1. ALL Shifter Bushings
2. Shifter Relay Ball
3. Relay Rods
4. Clutch assembly
5. Axle Flange Seals
6. Input Shaft Seal
7. Engine Rear Main Seal (since you have the trans out anyway.
8. Starter Bushing

:beerchug:

Here is a DIY on vwvortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2030797

wacky77
08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Apologies, never worked on a mk1 Golf although I think the 2 throttle cable set up on auto's is something to do with the kickdown gearchange feature? Again going off other auto's not mk1.... good luck though sounds like a lot of work