PDA

View Full Version : 01222 fault code on Passat

Mark Redman
21-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi my air bag light came on and i have 01222 fault code come up which to my knoledge is side air bag crash sensor n/s g180 i checked connector under seat, what else can i try ?:confused:

Andy66
21-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi, I've had the same problem, same fault code this week. I had water in the foot well at Christmas time, unblocked the drian hole under the battery not had a problem till now. Lifted carpet up today to look at crash sensor and found it and lots of other bits damp.
Left the carpet up to try and dry everything out, I'll try and clear the fault later in the week, Let me know how you get on with yours.

Mark Redman
22-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Andy
right i sorted my car by simply replacing the crash sensor on pass side. I bought 2nd hand one from ebay £10 plugged it in cleared the fault code and has worked fine ever since. I think the problem is water related once its got in then best off just changing it.;)

VEE-DUB-STEP
15-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Andy
right i sorted my car by simply replacing the crash sensor on pass side. I bought 2nd hand one from ebay £10 plugged it in cleared the fault code and has worked fine ever since. I think the problem is water related once its got in then best off just changing it.;)

Hi Mark. I too have the same problem. Ive just purchased a brand new sensor. My question is: When ive replaced it, will the airbag light still be on?
Im asking because i have the 3rd party (ebay) interface which wont clear faults.

Regards: Tosh

Mark Redman
16-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi Tosh sorry not responded sooner been on hols , unfortunetly the air bag light will still be on unless you clear the fault with an obd fault reader/ clearer i had to do this on mine. I managed to buy a very cheap device on ebay which can read and clear fault codes like this. Good luck cheers Mark.;)

Fletchers
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi All,

Seem to have same problem, have noticed sponge stuff behind glovebox was a bit damp the other day.

Can you let me know where roughly the crash sensor on the floorpan is?

Thanks in advance

Kev

Mark Redman
02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi i feel your pain! The sensor in question is located under the passenger seat, its best to remove the seat as its under the carpet close to the inner sil, held in place by 2 8/10 mm bolts. obviously you will need to reset the airbag light after you replace the faulty unit. It would make sense to make sure you check where the leak is in your car or it might happen again, usuall place is through the pollen filter seal behind battery.Good luck.

Fletchers
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Had a look, the "underlay" is awash. I've only had the car for a couple of weeks and found out it had a split rear washer pipe which was repaired but obviously the carpet will need some drying out. Will also check the drain under the battery is clear too.

The code reader said n/s passenger airbag crash sensor open or short circuit. Will see what happens when the sensor connections are dry but I suspect it's knackered.

Mark Redman
02-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi it won't dry out and be a useable sensor, just get one from ebay or salvage yard i got mine for a tenner, job done;)

Fletchers
06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi,

Have replaced the sensor now and dried out the carpet!

The 01222 code is still present and wont clear but has changed from "open/short circuit sensor) to "wrong or not programmed"

Does the sensor have to be coded?

Cheers

Mark Redman
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi UMMM well now you might av a problem was it a new sensor or didi it come off donor car? I can only tell you mine came from donor car and it did the job straight away, you might av water damage somewhere else causing the signal to be corupted sorry can't offer much solution other than check all your connections for corrosion etc.

Fletchers
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi again Mark,

The sensor is from a donor car. fitting it has changed the dynamics of the fault so as you say it must have further problems.
I pulled up the carpet in the n/s footwell and found that and the loom was fairly damp as well.

Will try to dry that out tomorrow and then try and find a customer of mine that has VW experience.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers

Fletchers
04-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Well finally got round to getting problem sorted. The original sensor was water damaged but the replacement sensor that was purchased second hand proved to be faulty as well.

Got a new sensor from TPS (which wasn't much dearer than the 2nd hand one), had it fitted and hey presto, airbags all up and running agaion.

Many thanks to VW Techniker of Chelmsford Essex for sorting it.

dexter123
25-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all proceeding info...I had the dreaded flood and had to replace loads of cable plus remake all new connections to the convenience unit which was totally corroded replaced with new unit and (plugs and tails all yellow! from VW)I refitted the conveinience unit under the glove box as i have been unable to stop water leak (cleaned plenums in battery compartment also it got rechecked by VW on thier recall for blocked plenums) siliconed all round windscreen nothing seems to stop it (covered pollin filter but next job is to silicone underneith filter incase gasket letting water in)
Recently alarms going off and airbag lights on permanantly, replaced even more of flooded wiring but still same problem.
called out a local car electrics guy, Huthwaite, sutton in ashfield, and he fixed electrical faults (water damage with cables corrodedfront and back in plug/sockets(those massive load of conectors passenger side left of footwell) anyhow problems sorted (i did a bit of electrical work which he advised on "I'm cashstrapped") only fault left was both crash sensors 1222 or something like that fault code" open/short circuit sensor"which was put down to faulty sensor on drivers side after rewiring both sides and replacing sensor 6Q0 909 606 (2nd hand on e-bay I was left with a fault" "wrong or not programmed" Do I need somehow to get this programmed or would the sensor be faulty (the car electrics guy removes fault and it comes back on but he hasnt the vag thing i hear people discussing any ideas Apart from setting fire or blowing up the car re-newed cable from sensors to the air bag control unit,, please anyone can you help!!

Fletchers
26-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Yes, I had the wrong/not programmed msg when I fitted a 2nd hand sensor - it turned out to be faulty too. I replaced with a genuine sensor, had it progrmmed/fault cancelled and all was well.

My problem with water as a split rear washer tube inside the car.

Hope that helps.

dexter123
26-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Fletchers
many thanks for that, had a look at TPS but seems it's mainly for businesses, still I think there is somewhere in notts that can supply hopefully at less cost than VW main dealers
again thanks
dexter123

dexter123
04-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Well e-mailed a couple of local places "cansdrenterprises" and "fgautomotivegrou"p for supply and fit of a new sensor (bearing in mind no carpet down so far less work involved) got a reply from" fgautomotivegroup" of £154 quid which sounds a bit expensive to me or am I expecting too much!!, all those that have had the dreaded flooding in the passenger side and still have not solved it take heart, I had over a year of not being able to stop water coming in but could not find out from where! eventuall took out the pollen filter, then removed the pollen filter housing and guess what found the fault under the plastic housing is some sponge and also a tubular rubber seal this was totally rotten! so plenty of silicone seal rebolted job done, had a good rainstorm the other night so had a look in the morning, lovely and dry (at last).
Anyone know where in nottinghamshire i can get the crash sensor replaced at a resonable cost
cheers in hope