PDA

View Full Version : Brake light not working after changing bulb twice ?

ShaunD
20-02-2009, 07:13 PM
As the above title suggests really, I am having a brake light problem on my 2003 A4 Avant 2.5 TDi, the drivers side (here in Sweden anyway) rear brake light is not working, the passenger side and high level light work fine though.
Tonight I went out to the garage and changed the bulb twice (bought a pack of two) but to no avail, the side light part of the bulb lights up perfectly on both sides, in fact all the bulbs work fine on both sides apart from the brake light :confused:

Any suggestions or help on this would be greatly appreciated :1zhelp:

Shaun.

danclyon
20-02-2009, 07:29 PM
As the above title suggests really, I am having a brake light problem on my 2003 A4 Avant 2.5 TDi, the drivers side (here in Sweden anyway) rear brake light is not working, the passenger side and high level light work fine though.
Tonight I went out to the garage and changed the bulb twice (bought a pack of two) but to no avail, the side light part of the bulb lights up perfectly on both sides, in fact all the bulbs work fine on both sides apart from the brake light :confused:

Any suggestions or help on this would be greatly appreciated :1zhelp:

Shaun.

Has the connector for the brake filament shoe bent away from the bulb or is it corroded at all?

Cheers,
Dan.

ShaunD
21-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Has the connector for the brake filament shoe bent away from the bulb or is it corroded at all?

Cheers,
Dan.

Hi Dan,

That's one thing that I haven't checked now you mention it.

I will check that as well when I get a chance, I can't do it right now though as it's currently -10c here and belting it down with snow as well :mad: !!

I will report back after I look at that as well.

Cheers

Shaun.

ShaunD
05-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Cheers,
Dan.

I finally managed to remove the light again today and check the contacts as you suggested and still no luck :confused:

It's the same as before, the passenger side and high level light work fine but the drivers side doesn't, I have even swapped bulbs from the working lamp to try that but still no joy.

I have now connected a tester to the circuit in the housing and there is power to the running light but nothing to the brake light :aargh4:

I have also noticed that the light in the boot isn't working as well so I was thinking fuse maybe ? if so are the brake lights on seperate fuses ?

Has anyone with a haynes manuel got the time to look up the fuses for me ? (I have no manuel for the car here in Sweden and the owners book just says take it to Audi for light problems !!) ?

Shaun.

kenney
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Do you have a high line or low line model?

ShaunD
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Do you have a high line or low line model?

Hi mate,

As I am new to Audi's I am not quite sure what the differences are between them, here is a pic of mine though taken today if that's any help ?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3010/08022009130.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08022009130.jpg)
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/08022009130.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img15/08022009130.jpg/1/)

As you can see, here in Sweden it's still cold and snowy !!

Shaun.

kenney
05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Sorry i'am unable to identify the vehicle and.I need to know, as there are 2 wiring diagrams,high line and low line.

ShaunD
05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Okay, could you tell me how to distinguish between the two and I will check and get back to you asap :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Shaun.

bardass
05-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Maybe it was just me being really thick...but this happened to me, turned out (eventually) to have bought the wrong bulbs. The others in the cluster were a slightly different design...:Blush2:....with two contacts not one...or was it the other way round?...even more confusing cos sometimes it worked!

GeorgeE
06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Okay, could you tell me how to distinguish between the two and I will check and get back to you asap :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Shaun.

It is not straightforward...

From memory, remove the main light switch (push in and turn anti clockwise, then pull and the switch will come out of the dashboard). Unplug the switch. Turn the ignition on. If your lights come on you have "high line" if they don't you have "low line".