PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 Golf Tdi 140/170 DSG Paddle shift

iworld
20-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi

I currently own a Mk4 03 Tdi 150bhp Golf. I am lloking at getting into a Mk5, but i am interested in the DSG paddle shift gearbox - i tried it on an R36 it felt nice - Can anyone recommend this type of gearbox - is the Mk5 a better performer than the one i have i may go for 140bhp or the 170bhp - is there much difference?

Anyone had any problems with the DSG paddle shift - i heard that some people who tried lauch control - VW invalidated there warranties when there gearboxes expired - other than that - do high milers suffer?

regards

leeroybrown
20-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I'll add my post here rather than start a very similar thread.

I'm currently looking to buy a used Mk5 GTi (low to mid mileage '06 or '07) and would like a DSG. I've recently been warned off the DSG by a mechanic who says that he's seen a lot of expensive failures with these boxes and that in the event of a complete failure a replacement including labour would cost over €7000 ex VAT (Irish main dealer prices).

Could those in the know comment on the reliability of the box and repair/replacement costs. I'd prefer to get one if they're reliable but I might tend back towards a manual if I think there's a potentially huge bill.

Thanks.

Jimp45
21-02-2009, 02:42 AM
They're good. Just don't abuse the launch control and you will be fine.

leeroybrown
23-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I think that I'll probably stick [sic] with a manual. I can't find enough re-assurance that a recent Mk5 won't leave the likelihood of a very expensive out of warranty failure.