PDA

View Full Version : My new baby....

01V5
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Last tuesday my dad surprised me with a car... and it was a Bora!

I was soo excited when i layed eyes on this Emerald Green Bora V5 with Beige Leather, it is truly a beautiful car. I am only 16 and not many people my age have a car like this... i love it soo much!

And this car is in unbelieveable condition. The paintwork looks brand new, all electronics in perfect condition and the leather..... i swear it just rolled off the production line! (apart from the 142,000km on the clock)

Anyways this is my first official post and i promise i will try put some pics up here ASAP.

Thanks, Alex

davegwynn
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Sounds like an awesome first car! Congratulations!

Mine was a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Nova saloon. Not quite in the same league..

bora(ing) nick
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I too had a Nova 1.2, but mine was a hatchback.

Looked pretty good though, smooth boot, GTE interior, GTE spoiler, S/S exhaust throughout, 3rd brake light, GTE body kit, and a 1 off paint job, Pearlesent white, but 3 tone, it looked green or blue when it was sunny.

I'm 21, and bought my Bora in September 06. Its not a V5 with leather interior, but it is a 55 plate, black beauty, that i'm over the moon with.

Not sure how your going to fund the insurance.... but if your dad has shelled out for a Bora V5, maybe he could help you with the insurance too!

Nick

MalcQV
10-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Congratulations,
my 1st car was a Tina MKIII 1600 L, my mum and dad did give me an interest free loan though.

01V5
11-03-2007, 12:37 PM
It's not really all for me... he needed a car too but once i'm 17 it will be primarily for my use. To be honest i really don't like leather seats, i like the comfort of velour or cloth. Feels more cosy according to me. As for the V5 engine... i saw some idiot tonight in a Vectra fishtale and roll his car onto the tram lines. That scared the crap out of me and i promised myself never to speed no matter what car..LOL!

Eshrules
11-03-2007, 04:29 PM
It's not really all for me... he needed a car too but once i'm 17 it will be primarily for my use. To be honest i really don't like leather seats, i like the comfort of velour or cloth. Feels more cosy according to me. As for the V5 engine... i saw some idiot tonight in a Vectra fishtale and roll his car onto the tram lines. That scared the crap out of me and i promised myself never to speed no matter what car..LOL!

just one tiny little question LOL, presuming you have the 2.3 V5 engine... how do you intend to get insured? :(

MalcQV
11-03-2007, 10:42 PM
just one tiny little question LOL, presuming you have the 2.3 V5 engine... how do you intend to get insured? :(

Think you can make a bit of a saving as a named driver. I do know that for young'uns nowadays insurance is astronomical :(

Eshrules
11-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Think you can make a bit of a saving as a named driver. I do know that for young'uns nowadays insurance is astronomical :(

well, just as an example....

my first car was a 51 plate 1.2 16v sx fiat brava -

quote for me = £1900

quote for me on dad's name = £1200

now aged 22, golf gt tdi 115 = £1500. a 2.3 v5 bora = get lost said the insurance

also, im not %100 sure on this one, but im sure anything approaching 2.0, eg a 1.8/1.9/2.3v5 you have to be over 21 to drive :(

bora(ing) nick
11-03-2007, 11:06 PM

Might as well of got the 1.6....lol

I did a "car share" thing once with my dad...He couldn't afford a new car, so i bought a 1.6 Fiat Tempra when i was 16, and my dad used it until i was old enough to drive....

Thing is....the day before i passed my test, there was a major malfunction in the ECU, and it basically melted the wiring loom.

looking back, it was probably a good thing, i could of ended up driving a FIAT......

Nick

RickT
11-03-2007, 11:18 PM
on the V5 it wont be cheap.... I got a quote 2 years ago on a V5 golf when i was 23 with 4 years no claims and it was still just over a grand..

All i can say is good luck!!

ps... my first car was a Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i CDI, and was 4 years old when i got it... (it was my Dads old company car, he had it for 3 years, then which my mum ran for a year and it was too big for her... so at the age of 18 I got that and my mum got something a little smaller!!

So i was 18 driving round it a 2.0i Cavlier CDI 8V, (not one of them ECO tech rubbish!!) when every else my age was running little Novas etc!! I slapped a set of 17inch 5 spoke alloys on it, K&N, with janspeed twin pipe box, power boost valve, I tell you what... the power felt quick!! it would do 0-60 in just over 8 seconds......

not bad for a first car!!

RiCKT

Eshrules
11-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Might as well of got the 1.6....lol

I did a "car share" thing once with my dad...He couldn't afford a new car, so i bought a 1.6 Fiat Tempra when i was 16, and my dad used it until i was old enough to drive....

Thing is....the day before i passed my test, there was a major malfunction in the ECU, and it basically melted the wiring loom.

looking back, it was probably a good thing, i could of ended up driving a FIAT......

Nick

:zx11: nothing wrong with a ruddy fiat...

anyways, we seem to digress LOL.... basically, i dont think a 17 year old new driver, has got a hope in hell of getting insured on a 2.3 v5 bora....

bora(ing) nick
11-03-2007, 11:36 PM

anyways, we seem to digress LOL.... basically, i dont think a 17 year old new driver, has got a hope in hell of getting insured on a 2.3 v5 bora....

Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

But i do agree about the insurannce issue....

Nick

01V5
12-03-2007, 02:41 AM
_

01V5
12-03-2007, 02:47 AM

I'm going to be the secondary driver for the Bora, so i'm guessing it'll be a little cheaper? I don't really know much about the whole insurance/rego thing. How much do you guys pay registration? We're paying about £460 per annum. And i just got an online quote and it's about £760 if i was the main driver and £230 if my dad's the main driver! Holy crap it sure does make a difference!

If it wasn't for the Bora it would've been a Fiat Punto 1.9JTD and insurance for that would be around the £200 mark... but after seeing like 3 on the road in the last 6 months he went for something a little more common.

Ps. I thought it was
Fix
It
Again
Tony

LimEs
12-03-2007, 03:25 AM
I just did a multi-search, around 12 of 50 said yes they would actually name a price. The rest range from £7,200 to £12,800. At least that is pear year and not per month:D .

Will be very interested to hear how this one ends up.

01V5
12-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I just did a multi-search, around 12 of 50 said yes they would actually name a price. The rest range from £7,200 to £12,800. At least that is pear year and not per month:D .

Will be very interested to hear how this one ends up.

Is that for insurance? or the price of a new car?

LimEs
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Insurance, Most would not even quote. (http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/)
It's ABI insurance group 16/20 under the old system or 32/50 under the new system.

Eshrules
12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Is that for insurance? or the price of a new car?

LOL not sure why you're writing in red.... thats bad matey, red's only used normally for highlight, its quite hard to read :(

and its for insurance, i think everyone would agree with the conclusion that, as a 17 year old, newly qualified driver, even on your parents policy, with a galatic total of no claims to discount with.... you're unlikely to get insured at a reasonable(ish) rate... a 2.3 V5 for a 17 year old.... hmm :(

LimEs
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
And at least a £1000 excess.

01V5
12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
LOL not sure why you're writing in red.... thats bad matey, red's only used normally for highlight, its quite hard to read :(

and its for insurance, i think everyone would agree with the conclusion that, as a 17 year old, newly qualified driver, even on your parents policy, with a galatic total of no claims to discount with.... you're unlikely to get insured at a reasonable(ish) rate... a 2.3 V5 for a 17 year old.... hmm :(

OK thanks for the red tip:biglaugh:

Of course no doubt that i would have to dig deep for insurance, i'm 17 and got a V5... but £7,200-£12,800 for annual insurance? that's $17,800-$31,600AUD! (i'm in Australia if you haven't yet noticed). If i insured the car i would have to pay $1,883AUD per annum (about £760GBP). So either i'm not understanding something, or people in UK have to have a very successful job to insure their car. Hell i could almost buy a new Jetta or even put a generous deposit on a house for that amount!!

Why is everything so expensive in the UK? Insurance Excess in Aust. is no where near as high as what it is in UK.

You try it out:
http://www.aami.com.au/insurance_quotes_australia/aami_insurance_quotes.asp

(Select 'car' from the screen and a new window will open, use 4000 as post code and 'Brisbane' on the next screen. Then fill out forms accodingly.)

bora(ing) nick
12-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Of course no doubt that i would have to dig deep for insurance, i'm 17 and got a V5... but £7,200-£12,800 for annual insurance? that's $17,800-$31,600AUD! (i'm in Australia if you haven't yet noticed). If i insured the car i would have to pay $1,883AUD per annum (about £760GBP). So either i'm not understanding something, or people in UK have to have a very successful job to insure their car. Hell i could almost buy a new Jetta or even put a generous deposit on a house for that amount!!

You try it out:

(Select 'car' from the screen and a new window will open, use 4000 as post code and 'Brisbane' on the next screen. Then fill out forms accodingly.)

that explains it then!!!!

It's a ".co.uk" site so i assumed you were in the UK....

If you can afford to insure a V5 at 17.... I'm moving to Australia, lol

Nick

bora(ing) nick
12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Ps. I thought it was

Fix
It
Again
Tony

See Carl...

It's internationally known that Fiats are always breaking down. lol

Nick

Eshrules
12-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Why is everything so expensive in the UK? Insurance Excess in Aust. is no where near as high as what it is in UK.

You try it out:

and so he saw the light.... no chuffin wonder LOL

See Carl...

Nick

as many faults as it had, to be fair, it never once broke down, never once failed to start and flew through its only MOT with me.... the 80bhp under the bonnet was quite funny as well, still managed to show the chavved up corsas a thing or two :D

LimEs
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Penny well and truly Dropped!
If you were in the UK, that is what it would cost. Chavs, 'twoc'ing, roads with corners, narrow roads, chavettes, boy racers who cant drive, uninsured criminals and drug addicts and cost of repairs, all add up to big cost of insurance, and it's goes up every year.

Well done then fella, on to winner there.

MalcQV
12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
See Carl...

Nick
Best car I have ever driven is a Fiat. Far more fun than the Passat ;)

01v5, looks like Aus has it good for insurance, we are well and truly hung out to dry in the UK. I pay £400+ to insure my 2.0 Passat with 9 years+ NCB, the wrong side of 40 too :D

NicholasP
13-03-2007, 02:53 AM
Although it's a lovely car! and a very nice car to have..(the ladies will love it ;) ) you wouldn't want to actually have a bora as your first car...

When I started driving, i had a little fiesta and venturing onto the roads for the first time with 59bhp was scary enough! It was a tin can so I could afford to scratch it up here and there..

150bhp in the Bora? 17 years old? Learning to park? your mates trying to challenge you?

Bad combinantion i'd say! Get yourself a cheap run-about for a year while you really learn how to drive! You learn very little in your driving lessons..

01V5
13-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Hmm yeah i should've made it clearer that i'm in Aust.. $1,500 is still alot for insurance per year, but it's better than $17,000!

You see that's what i originally wanted... i would even now be happy with a 200- series Barina (Corsa) or an older Focus, but my dad got this and now i'm stuck with it. Not that that's a bad thing or anything i'll just have to learn to control my foot:Blush: Nah but i'll enjoy it while i have it, the Insurance my dad got has valued the car at $18,300 (£7,500) so it i decide (and pursuade my dad) to sell it i can still get a smaller probably newer car.

SpikyBob
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Man you're lucky.... my first car was an Austin (yes Austin, part of British Leyland) wait for it.... Allegro!
It was a fine example of British engineering from 1972 and came with a squared off steering wheel - yes really! Not round but "quartic" as they called it. It also had an engine that shared its oil with the 5 speed (wow)gearbox - a bad move....
It was my first (motoring) love though and still own the well leafed and oily fingered Haynes repair manual..... sigh!