PDA

View Full Version : Dash Warning Light?

nedflounders
19-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi all,
I have a very simple question. The warning lights on my Leon 53 plate has a flashing symbol like a spring coil. One continuous line with 2 loops.
I can't find it in the hand book, can anyone tell me what it is and what does it mean?
Thanks,

Graeme...

STEWY L
19-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
I have a very simple question. The warning lights on my Leon 53 plate has a flashing symbol like a spring coil. One continuous line with 2 loops.
I can't find it in the hand book, can anyone tell me what it is and what does it mean?
Thanks,

Graeme...
on the tdi it's the glowplug light. when it flashes it usually means a problem
with the brake lights and/or pedal switch.
regards,
stewy.

nedflounders
19-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Stewy,
I'll check those if I can.

Thanks,
Graeme.

rolfather
20-02-2009, 07:59 PM
hi stewy and graeme,my friends 55 plate leon fr tdi has just done exactly whats being described in your posts.ive let him know,but he wants to know what he should be looking for to try and sort the problem.he daren't drive the car with the brake lights being dodgy,and has to wait till wednesday for a mechanic to check it out.thanks lads.

nedflounders
20-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Rolfather,
I checked the brake lights and found they weren't working so took it to work to try and fix.
However I noticed that the dash warning light had stopped flashing.
After Stewy gave me a couple of ideas I would guess mine was a sticky switch.
I didn't need to check it though, and don't know how too.
Maybe Stewy could help?

Cheers,
Graeme...

STEWY L
21-02-2009, 12:04 AM
if the glow plug light is flashing,first check the brake lights,lower and high level leds.
if the lower lights are out,check the bulbs.
if the bulbs are ok,change the switch on the brake pedal,it's about £8-£10.
easy job really,but it has been known to smash a switch whilst fitting it.
you just need to go easy,
regards,
stewy.

rolfather
21-02-2009, 06:27 PM
thanks lads,i'll pass on the info.cheers

merc2001
25-02-2009, 01:01 AM
thanks lads,i'll pass on the info.cheers
I take it you checked the fuse too ;)
:D

nedflounders
26-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi,
I thought the fault had gone but it has come back.
I have checked the switch it is ok.
Fuse is ok. Got 12v to pedal switch and have shorted out to eliminate it completely.
I still can't get a supply to the lamps?
I have a Tow Bar fitted, does the wiring go to the brake lights then Tow Bar or Tow Bar then lights?

Thanks,
Graeme...:(

biggstu
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I jus tbought an 09 plate FR550 and with only 400 miles on the clock i have had this exact problem, since the car is still under warrenty i am taking it back into the garage this afternoon. but it is good to have an idea of what could be the cause before i go into the garage with it - lessens the chance of the mechanics giving me a load of bull about it!

cheers for the earlier replies.

VAGMAN54
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
mechanics tell the truth.........the receptionists/service desks tell the customer a load of bull.......well ours do.!

biggstu
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
well it was apparently a loose connection in a wire at the inlet manifold, the light has come on again since it was in, but i managed to get it to 'reset' by switching off the engine and then starting it again about 10 seconds later and it hasn't come on since. a bit strange but we'll see how it goes!

VAGMAN54
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
yeah that will be interesting,let us know how you get on

biggstu
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
well that has been three days since the light last made an appearance - so touch wood, it seems to be OK. as the car is under 2 weeks old - if it comes back on, it will be back into the garage quick smart to get looked at. it is however annoying on a new car when it needs to be in the garage within 10 days of getting the keys!

there may also be a bit of me being a newbie to diesel driving and possibly starting the engine a bit quick, although i didnt think it made much difference in modern diesel engines.

i'll keep this thread updated if there are any further developments.

Stu

biggstu
02-06-2009, 12:51 PM
it has been about 4 or 5 weeks since i took my car into the garage and still all clear on the dash warning light front. so it looks like the problem was found and fixed.

and the car is well run in now so its all good and the fun times have well and truely begun :D