PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 TDi loss of power

richiebarthez
10-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi my A3 has become really slow recently, it used to be really quick for a diesel but now it sturggles to overtake a large van

Can anyone suggest what might need replacing/ servicing? Others have suggested fuel filters and turbo problems but Im not sure where to start first...

Thanks in advance!

Eugheugh
27-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Look at the 4 most recent postings in 'power loss, turbo' (Passat). After trying the two most popular fixes-i.e. the AMM and the F75 nearest the front of the car (there's 2 on my Passat) I checked for air leaks and found the tandem pump (located at the end of the cylinder head nearest the bulkhead) had a wobbly (air leaky) spigot where it enters the pump body - this is the bit that the vacuum pipe attaches onto. I could have been going round in circles looking for this vacuum leak as the VAG COM only goes so-far in its diagnosis. I once more want to thank this forum and all who suggested possible faults especially Big Col whos expert advise was closest to the mark. Good luck with this one.:Blush:

I_am_stealth
13-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Test whether it comes back to life briefly when you switch the engine off and back on. If it does, you might be running in limp mode.
I suggest to contact someone with a diagnose interface like VAG com to see if you have any errors stored in the ECU. It could be that you are not getting enough air, enough diesel, faulty MAF ( usually you can't do more than 60-70 mph if that is the culprit), maybe blocked EGR.
Does it smoke on acceleration? Do you see traces of black smoke on the back of your car?

paul b
14-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Could be a number of things. Faulty turbo or a duff MAF. However check all the hoses going to and from the turbo, engine and MAF are not split and leaking. Lift the bonnet up with the engine running and if you put your ear close enough to a split hose, you can normally just about hear it.
Paul