PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.9 TDI 130PS Avant Quattro Sport Rear DIff Problem

xouser8334
19-02-2009, 06:34 PM
OK.

so i've already posted a thread in relation to this:-
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61220

But.
My A4 has 131450 miles on the clock (mostly motorway miles)
Serviced by Audi Dealer 6450 miles ago (3months prior to an accident)
Now,
Although the bodyshop and insurers have rebuilt the body of the car, there is still a noise onthe rear drive line of the car.
the Non Approved Audi repairers have replaced rear wheel bearings to see if the noise reduces, but it has not got rid of it competely.

I have the issue where -
the repairers have said the diff is worn out - it's got 130,000 miles on it!
I am contending this, because there was no noise on the car prior to the accident.
The repairers have taken the car to my local Audi dealership for a..........
Test drive.
The Engineer has said - Yes there is a noise, but we need more time to investigate the noise.

Does anyone understand Insurance Law?
Can i keep rejecting the car?
The insurance inspector has said "we will leave the claim open for you to get an inspection done at your cost, and if the inspection proves the accident was the cause we will pay for the damage"

Why should i prove this?
I have witnesses (managent team at work) who have been in my car on the day prior to the accident who can vouch for me that there was no noise.

one added extra is.. I was hit by a 38ton Scania, and the driver has given written admission to the accident?

Please help - your replies are really appreciated as i will send a link to the replies to my insurance company.

is 130,000 a limit where the Quattro Diff would wear out?

spartacus 68
22-02-2009, 05:56 PM
is 130,000 a limit where the Quattro Diff would wear out?

Absolutely no way. The rear differential can develop an oil leak which could eventually lead to premature failure. However if you've been rear-ended by a 38 tonne lorry, I'd be looking for a replacement or rebuild of the rear diff at the very least.

When the car was last MOT tested - was there an advisory note (VT32) regards a leak at the differential? This could be crucial to your case. If it was dry with no weeping - you have to assume it was working as it should, and any fault there-after was as a result of the accident.

Obviously the insurance company are putting the ball in your court. It never ceases to amaze me the hoops your average insurance company will make you jump though.

Fight it all the way.:mad:

xouser8334
22-02-2009, 07:25 PM
HI,
Just a few more details.

MOT exipres in April 09

The service was in September 08 (6450 miles age)
No Leaks etc were evident.

I regularly inspect the car (on a monthly basis)
I used to be a VAG mechanic, so I personally have an idea what to do, but i left the motor industry to work in IT and do loads of motorway miles.

The lorry hit me on the NS R Corner pushing my OSR wheel into the kerb, then causing me to spin off the road smcking the NS wheels against the other kerb.

Obviously the spinning was quite a harrowing experience!