PDA

View Full Version : Windows ECU Location?

Kev.trebuan
10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone know where I can find the windows/sunroof ecu on a 1996 A6? Haynes manual shows wiring diagrams but is completely useless if you want to know where stuff physically is.:banghead:

Niall76
10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm not exactly sure but I know that a lot of the ECU stuff is in the floor at the passenger footwell area. Hence the reason it's so important to clear the drain holes in underneath the battery area in the bulkhead or it floods into the footwell and causes very expensive damage.

Hope that helps

Kev.trebuan
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Tell me about the swimming pool problem!! Last year, I had an inch of water in the rear passenger footwell. More than a blocked battery tray drain hole, the battery tray had rotted away leaving large holes in the firewall. Dashboard out and lots of welding have cured the problem, but my windows and sunroof don't work any more.:mad:

Niall76
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
wow! that's harsh, although I'm surprised that it rotted - these cars are galvanised!

Do you know why it rotted away so badly?

Kev.trebuan
11-03-2007, 12:06 AM
According to the local garage (ex-Halfords/AA Service Centre mechanics), it was due to a bad battery leak. Unbeknown to me the battery was growing large pale blue mushrooms on the terminals, until one day the car wouldn't start. When the battery was replaced, a big hole was found.:mad:I guess even a galvanised Audi can't stop battery acid.