PDA

View Full Version : Question wiper linkage and rear washer jet spray

JarvisTheCocker
18-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi all

I recently bought a 2001 Ibiza Chill and following the cold snap two things have happened.

Firstly the wiper linkage to the passenger side wiper has dropped off it's ball joint. It appears that the rubber ring has perished. I can push it back on but it just drops off after 1 or 2 wipes. Seat have quoted £75 for a new motor and linkage. Can I get a single arm? Or can I repair the joint easily myself?

Secondly the rear washer jet seems to have popped off. The motor works but nothing comes out. Where should I look for the break in the pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help.:D

Lemonslap
18-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Hello mate with the wiper linkage it will need the full part and its also worth checking the rest of the linkage for wear, with regards the the back washer jet is your boot wet? Its a common fault the rubber pipe pops off the brass inlet on the washer jet inside the boot lid trim, I warn you now though its a pig to remove and you will need replacement clips from seat (approx 25p each get a few)

JarvisTheCocker
23-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Managed to fix the wiper linkage with a monkey wrench and a judicious crimp.

Had the boot lid trim off, no problems with the connection there. Also no problem at the motor end. With no apparent leaks in the headliner where the pipe runs I think, why is this not working?

Lemonslap
23-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Have you checked the outlet pipe from the washer bottle under the bonnet?

JarvisTheCocker
24-02-2009, 10:47 AM
That's what I meant by the motor end. No problems visible from the bottle up to where the pipe dissapears into the chassis bulkhead.

Lemonslap
24-02-2009, 08:42 PM
weird they are the common areas so no water leaking into the cabin anywhere? And the screenwash level is dropping?

JarvisTheCocker
27-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Well the motor is certainly working and the pipe feels like liquid is moving through it. No leaks anywhere that I can find. I'm thinking if there was a blockage it would have popped off at one end too. Bit of a mystery.

Lemonslap
27-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Well the motor is certainly working and the pipe feels like liquid is moving through it. No leaks anywhere that I can find. I'm thinking if there was a blockage it would have popped off at one end too. Bit of a mystery.

This is a mystery mate! I have done a lot of work in the past on ibiza mk3's and my wife owns one but this is beating me!:zx11: There has to be a leak or blockage somewhere, of course there is a oneway valve that keeps the washer pipe primed with screenwash have you held the washer pump on for more then 30 secs?

JarvisTheCocker
27-02-2009, 06:19 PM
No I haven't tried that. Will that make or break it?

Lemonslap
01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
No I haven't tried that. Will that make or break it?

As long as its not blocked (The motor will sound like the screenwash is empty and straining ) Then no it will be fine