PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted

Delboy777
17-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi folks, looking for some buying advice. I am going to buy a 04 or 05 A4 1.9tdi, when was the last 1.9 and the first 2.0 TDI? Any problems i should look out for (i have heard bad things about the 2.0 tdi. And by the way i will be looking to get a TIP or Multi (whats the difference ?) Thanks.......Del

Delboy777
18-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Ahh well, maybe not:(

kodkod.84
18-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Del I think the 2.0TDI was only available in the B7 shape so early 2005.

Had the B7 1.9TDI which is 115ps and very economical

Being a manual driver can't help you on the auto boxes I'm afraid

Marco34
19-02-2009, 10:38 AM
There aren't any major problems to look out for on the B6 model 2001 - 2005. The 1.9TDi is a good performer and delivers very good MPG. I'd ensure it's had a good service history. Try and test when engine is fully cold and listen for lengthy knocks and bangs or excessive smoke upon acceleration.

The gearbox from 1st - 2nd can be a little stiff when cold and the temp senders/gauges are prone to going aywoll. Also there a few with an engine shake at idle when hot. Mine has it occasionally. There seems to be no definitive fix. Other than that they are sound cars. MAFs can fail but will on any car. The VNT turbo can overboost and cause limp mode. Ensure quality fuel with an occasional treatment and drive it with some gusto from time to time.

The 1.9TDi responds well to a re-map. I;ve had one which cost £200 and has transformed the torque and BHP. A worth while upgrade.. I'd look for a 130 tdi too (red I). Map that to 160 ish and it flies.

I've got a 2001 and have no intention of replacing it yet. It's like new with 43k miles.

danclyon
19-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi folks, looking for some buying advice. I am going to buy a 04 or 05 A4 1.9tdi, when was the last 1.9 and the first 2.0 TDI? Any problems i should look out for (i have heard bad things about the 2.0 tdi. And by the way i will be looking to get a TIP or Multi (whats the difference ?) Thanks.......Del

Tip is a fixed ratio gearbox - multi is a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Multi's have had a bad rep for failure and doing "odd stuff" and got the nickname "Multichronic". I have one, i'm on my 2nd box in 50k miles - but I think the first one was just faulty from day one as this one has been much better. It still does some unexpected things that I am suspect about but apparently there is nothing wrong....we'll see. I hear the tip and the DSG have similar rates of problems so it seems to be horses for courses as it were.

Multi is lovely to drive and being able to drop it into "manual" mode and have 6 gears is good fun - also helps with Marco's suggested "driving with gusto".

Personally I support the good fuel theory having got substantial mpg by not using supermarket diesel - max 550 miles on supermarket - min high 600's on Shell VPower with the same lead right foot :) I'm getting a consistent 48.5mpg on the 130TDi Multi over an "average" tank now - whereas it was <44 when I got the car and was running on supermarket diesel.

Give it a treat when you get it - Forte diesel treatment and if you don't know it's history, perhaps get a bottle of Millers Diesel Sport 4 and put that through the first tanks of fuel to give it a clean up.

Nice cars - just keep an eye out for a swimming pool under the bonnet in the battery bulkhead.......

:beerchug:

Dan.

Marco34
19-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Tip is a fixed ratio gearbox - multi is a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Multi's have had a bad rep for failure and doing "odd stuff" and got the nickname "Multichronic". I have one, i'm on my 2nd box in 50k miles - but I think the first one was just faulty from day one as this one has been much better. It still does some unexpected things that I am suspect about but apparently there is nothing wrong....we'll see. I hear the tip and the DSG have similar rates of problems so it seems to be horses for courses as it were.

Multi is lovely to drive and being able to drop it into "manual" mode and have 6 gears is good fun - also helps with Marco's suggested "driving with gusto".

Personally I support the good fuel theory having got substantial mpg by not using supermarket diesel - max 550 miles on supermarket - min high 600's on Shell VPower with the same lead right foot :) I'm getting a consistent 48.5mpg on the 130TDi Multi over an "average" tank now - whereas it was <44 when I got the car and was running on supermarket diesel.

Give it a treat when you get it - Forte diesel treatment and if you don't know it's history, perhaps get a bottle of Millers Diesel Sport 4 and put that through the first tanks of fuel to give it a clean up.

Nice cars - just keep an eye out for a swimming pool under the bonnet in the battery bulkhead.......

Dan.

Sound advice... I'd forgotten about the plenum chamber.. it got me that one too.

Forte and Millers DPS4 I use both and agree that are excellent products particularly the Forte.

Delboy777
19-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, i had heard bad things about the 2.0 tdi so wanted to steer away from that model. I used to own a 98 tdi Quattro when it was 4 years old, it was an x lease car and it was perfect but i had to sell when i bought my house:( Now thinking of coming back to the Marque. So all advice will be appreciated. I guess i will have to go for a TIP instead of a Multi then, my MB is TIP and its pretty good. It will defo be a diesel for economys sake. I have seen a 04 1.9 tdi tip with full Leather 76k and full history for around £6.995 possibly get it cheaper what would you guys think of that for a price ? Thanks.....Del

danclyon
19-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, i had heard bad things about the 2.0 tdi so wanted to steer away from that model. I used to own a 98 tdi Quattro when it was 4 years old, it was an x lease car and it was perfect but i had to sell when i bought my house:( Now thinking of coming back to the Marque. So all advice will be appreciated. I guess i will have to go for a TIP instead of a Multi then, my MB is TIP and its pretty good. It will defo be a diesel for economys sake. I have seen a 04 1.9 tdi tip with full Leather 76k and full history for around £6.995 possibly get it cheaper what would you guys think of that for a price ? Thanks.....Del

Others will probably correct me - but I didn't think they did anything in 04 that had a tip - I thought it was normal automatic, CVT or manual.....?

Cheers,
Dan.

Delboy777
19-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi dan, its on autotrader, so im not sure the add says its TIP, TBH i dont know if anyone else does please let me know thanks.........Del :1zhelp: