PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Hello & my poor 2.5l TDI

mr_g in france
16-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Hello,
Can anybody help shed some light upon the problem with my 2000 A4 Avant 2.5L TDI.
The car was running well, when the engine cut off.
after removal of a couple of the plastic covers & examination I found that one of the tensioner pulley's bearing had exploded.
The fan belt had been decoupled & was just hanging loose.

The engine now doesn't turn over ?
Am I missing a trick here or has something more serious happened?

The cam belt (recently replaced 20k ago) looks in good nick & is under tension, is there a risk that the fan belt had rode under the cam belt & misaligned the timing/ has anybody ever heard of this before ?

Thanks in advance for any help !
MG

towcestervag
17-02-2009, 12:39 AM
yes ive had the tensioner pulley do the same
luckily for the owner the belt just rode under the others covers slightly and did no damage
i suggest you get the belts free and try to line up engineand see if its jumped the belt but it does sound as if it has jumped to me

adamss24
17-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Try and jump start the engine, it looks that your battery has depleted. Did you notice the battery light lighting on the dash after the belt broke ?

mr_g in france
17-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Battery light came on when the engine cut out & died....
I'll check the battery though:o & the timing...

Could anybody please give me some information/pictures as to regarding the correct timing on the V6 tdi model as I only have the 4 cylinder tdi info.
(I've searched this site but not found anything)

Many thaks, you've been more help than the local VAG dealership in France, who declined to help, don't ever breakdown here !

MG

towcestervag
17-02-2009, 12:47 PM
you need special tools to time the cams on this car
the exhauster punps req removal and lock plates put in to set cams
the rest is quite straight forward ie tdc on crank and pin in pump

mr_g in france
21-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Many thanks to Towcestervag & Adamss24 for your help already,

I found the source of the problem today, the right hand side idler bearing had exploded & the distribution belt had snapped wrapping itself around the crank damper several times & jamming the damper, causing the engine to stop.
The only other casualty was the cast tensioner mounting bracket, as the tensioner mounting boss had been broken off.

I am planning to replace all other idlers etc, what else should I be changing whilst the car is in bits....

Thanks in advance
MG

towcestervag
22-02-2009, 12:56 AM
fit a water pump if not replaced recently
time up eng and if ok try to start but i think if timing has slipped there may be valve damage