PDA

View Full Version : Question BOSE Bass bloomin booming

borabeast
16-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello again folks!

Boughtmy a4 avant sport on friday and absolutely love it, multitronic but all working beautifully.

It has the BOSE stereo option which sounds great, but the bass is really prominent. How do I control the sub seperately to the rest of the speakers?

The bass/midrange have een turned down but still getting booming bass, even at lo volume levels.

In the past I have spent hundreds on Vibe sub/amp installs and its almost on par with this all the time.

If anybody feels the same or has found a way to tone it down a little - please get in touch!

I have a 5 month old baby in the car every day and don't think its good for him so I drive with the music barely audible.

Any help greatly appreciated as usual!

Cheers Mark

danclyon
16-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Hello again folks!

Boughtmy a4 avant sport on friday and absolutely love it, multitronic but all working beautifully.

It has the BOSE stereo option which sounds great, but the bass is really prominent. How do I control the sub seperately to the rest of the speakers?

The bass/midrange have een turned down but still getting booming bass, even at lo volume levels.

In the past I have spent hundreds on Vibe sub/amp installs and its almost on par with this all the time.

If anybody feels the same or has found a way to tone it down a little - please get in touch!

I have a 5 month old baby in the car every day and don't think its good for him so I drive with the music barely audible.

Any help greatly appreciated as usual!

Cheers Mark

Standard settings on the head unit not adjusting it sufficiently? Mine doesn't have Bose but turning the bass down and the fader slightly to the rear speakers has adjusted the bass levels to a comfortable level. The Bose sub should perform just the same, just overall be louder (and probalby have a marginally improved dynamic range etc.)

Cheers,
Dan.

borabeast
16-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Dan,

I have tried changing the fader/balance when Iwas trying to locate the channel the sub runs from but it didn't alter.

It is as though the sub runs from its own channel.

Any other idea's?

Was hoping for a hidden menu or something!

ScottyUK
16-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I've Bose in my S4 and with our kiddy in the back I know the sub down to -6 or sometimes 0 and then I fade the sound forward.

It's weird that your's isn't working the same as mine as I can take the bass out totally if I want by doing the above....however mine is a saloon so maybe there's something different. Normally the avant has less bass than a saloon so maybe someones retro fitted a different solution. Have you pulled the side panel off to look at the sub yet?

randall977
17-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Turned my bass down to -5 (with the option of -6!!). I actually removed my Bose Symphony II and installed an Concert III. The base setting are now mismatched so it booms much more than when I had the Bose head unit. I assume it is internal settings - I'd love to know how to alter them...anyone?

ScottyUK
17-02-2009, 12:37 AM
As I understand it the head unit's aren't Bose or non-Bose. It's simply the amplifiers and speakers that they plug into. :confused:

randall977
17-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes I thought so too. My original Symphony did display 'Bose' on startup and my new Concert doesn't but that may be a mismatch of components??

danclyon
17-02-2009, 04:19 PM
As I understand it the head unit's aren't Bose or non-Bose. It's simply the amplifiers and speakers that they plug into. :confused:

It's probably not even anything do with the speakers tbh - most likley just the amplification stage......the sub in the non-bose and in the bose *appear* to be the same based on the cars I've looked at - the small active lump and about 6" speaker set in the rear drivers panel in the boot space on the avant - mounted with the amp and fan outlet - I guess it's probably just more "horsepower" in the amp stage.....

Certainly the Head Unit and sub unit are both ex-Harmon Kardon if I'm reading the codes on them correctly.....(at least that's what I think I read, but it was late and I'm tired etc. and the grey matter isn't what it used to be....)

Cheers,
Dan.

danclyon
17-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Dan,

I have tried changing the fader/balance when Iwas trying to locate the channel the sub runs from but it didn't alter.

It is as though the sub runs from its own channel.

Any other idea's?

Was hoping for a hidden menu or something!

Silly question - it's not the Gala AVL kicking in is it? Mine seems to be quite erratic if Gala is set to anything above +3 and even in a non-bose Avant it gets very bottom heavy really quickly as you build up speed.....

Cheers
Dan.

borabeast
20-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Gala AVL? Is that when the stereo changes volume at higher speeds?

If so Dan I think that could be it. Thinking about it now it is when I'm travelling that it seems worse!

How do I go about setting this up to less than +3?

Almost sorted!!!!!

Cheers Dan

Mark

danclyon
20-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Gala AVL? Is that when the stereo changes volume at higher speeds?

If so Dan I think that could be it. Thinking about it now it is when I'm travelling that it seems worse!

How do I go about setting this up to less than +3?

Almost sorted!!!!!

Cheers Dan

Mark

Erm good question - it's in one of the menus - I don't have mine to hand this second, but if you press and hold the buttons (specifically the one for tone/fade ISTR) then you get another menu appear where Gala is one of the options....

I'll check it later, but you'll crack it in no time i'm sure :)

D.

badboi4lyff
11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
i got told the bose systems dont have gala settings.. but have a inbuilt microphone inside the car and it adjusts the volume depending on interior noise?