PDA

View Full Version : What no more Longlife 2 oil ??

kimsue
09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
This is potentially a problem for all of us running on Longlife 2 oil VW spec 503 / 506. I have just been on the line to Castrol Technical. They advise that the special properties in Longlife 2 protect the non hardened camshaft. The new VW engines run on Longlife 3, 507 spec. This is not backward compatible as the new VW engines have hardened camshaft and the longlife 3 does not have those ingredients that prevents the wear. Castrol have stopped making Longlife 2 and you cannot use Longlife 3 as damage will occur to the engine. Castrol technical do not know what VW intend to do regarding this. The person at Castrol tech was very knowledgable about engines and I have no doubt what he said is correct. Any one with any thoughts ?? :confused:

kimsue
09-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I have spoken with my main VW dealer regarding the above.
They say they use Longlife 3 oil in all longlife oil regime vehicles. I advised them of what Castrol, the manufacturer of the oil advised. I also advised them that my engine specifically requires VW 503 / 506 spec oil. The service dept checked the Longlife 3 oil bottle and confirmed that it was VW 504 / 507 spec. I asked them how could they then service my vehicle. They had no answer only to say that they only supplied Longlife 3 that does not meet the spec of my car. I asked are they therefore putting this oil into vehicles that do not meet this spec. They said yes as they had no other instruction from VW or Castrol. With regards to damaging the engine they said if this happened it would be Castrols responsiblity to change the camshaft as Castrol had not advised them otherwise. :confused: I advised that I am now advising them that they are using the wrong oil and gave them Castrol Tech tel number advising they should maybe ring them. I also contacted VW UK, logged a call regarding my query. They said they would get back to me in 48hrs as they did not know either. All a bit worrying and thankfully I have not put Longlife 3 in my Longlife 2 compatible engine. It seems neither VW or Castrol are talking to each other over such a critical matter and it would appear there are now lots of main dealer serviced vehicles out there running on the wrong oil. I therefore wont be buying any Longlife 2 spec vehicle in the future as you just wont know what oil was put in it.

onzarob
09-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Keep us informed of your findings, I will make this thread stick so it stays at the top.

Thanks

Rob:D

nicfw
06-04-2007, 10:49 PM
just a thought. Millers used to do, probably still do, a VW/Audi specific diesel oil. I am not sure if it would be Longlife 2 compatible but you could do worse than give them a bell. They ran one of the first A4 TDi's with their oil and their diesel additive, I believe doubling the servie interval and at half their recommended dosage for the diesel additive. At 225,000 in I think 2 years, it was stripped down with no significant wear ie, nothing needed to be replaced. OK, its who you believe but that was published by Diesel Car magazine years ago.

Dizzydave
08-04-2007, 07:31 AM
According to Comma, their Long Life 0W-30 oil meets VW 503/506. The Comma web site can give you the location of dealers in your area. I have taken the precaution of treating with ZX1 as well.

diacong
11-04-2007, 11:07 PM
KimSue, did you get a final answer from VW?

Graham

Matt B
03-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Sounds a bit worring and it got me thinking....

I have planned to ring VW up in the morning as my service light has come on. I only had it serviced in March and usually get approx. 18,000 between services (it is a 3 year old 2.0TDI Touran with 94K on the clock) however this would make it on 9,500. Either the technician has reset it as fixed service instead of variable or something else is a miss (i.e. the oil!!!) The invoice only says SLX oil, however I got a refil bottle with the service, so I'm off to the car to check the spec.

Flash2
04-06-2007, 08:18 PM
According to Comma, their Long Life 0W-30 oil meets VW 503/506.

VW also produce their own Quantum brand LongLife II oil which is 503/506 spec.

Jim.

Matt B
04-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I spoke with Castrol today and they informed me that it depends if your engine has the DPF filter, you can tell this by checking your handbook print out label: if the engine code is QG1 it does not have the DFP filter, if it is QG2 it does. If you use the older oils in the DFP engines it blocks the filter up. For QG1 engines the castrol guy recommended Edge 5w/30 (longlife) or use the Quantum (VW) brand.

Best thing is to check with the dealer and make sure they use the right grade.

enigma1992
03-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I have spoken with my main VW dealer regarding the above.
They say they use Longlife 3 oil in all longlife oil regime vehicles. I advised them of what Castrol, the manufacturer of the oil advised. I also advised them that my engine specifically requires VW 503 / 506 spec oil. The service dept checked the Longlife 3 oil bottle and confirmed that it was VW 504 / 507 spec. I asked them how could they then service my vehicle. They had no answer only to say that they only supplied Longlife 3 that does not meet the spec of my car. I asked are they therefore putting this oil into vehicles that do not meet this spec. They said yes as they had no other instruction from VW or Castrol. With regards to damaging the engine they said if this happened it would be Castrols responsiblity to change the camshaft as Castrol had not advised them otherwise. :confused: I advised that I am now advising them that they are using the wrong oil and gave them Castrol Tech tel number advising they should maybe ring them. I also contacted VW UK, logged a call regarding my query. They said they would get back to me in 48hrs as they did not know either. All a bit worrying and thankfully I have not put Longlife 3 in my Longlife 2 compatible engine. It seems neither VW or Castrol are talking to each other over such a critical matter and it would appear there are now lots of main dealer serviced vehicles out there running on the wrong oil. I therefore wont be buying any Longlife 2 spec vehicle in the future as you just wont know what oil was put in it.

I have just come across this thread and having been through the process already thought I wouuld share with you my experience, starting first with my email to volkswagencustomercare@volkswagen.co.uk:

Dear Sirs

I have a question regarding the specification of oil used in my 2003 Passat TDI registration mark (my reg!).

The car is serviced according to the Longlife service regime with Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30 oil which carries the following specification: SAE 0W-30, VW 503 00/506 00/506 01, however when I have asked my local VW dealer, Arthur Prince in Loughborough, for longlife oil I was sold Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow 5w-30 which carries the following specification: SAE 5W-30; ACEA A3/B3/B4; VW 504 00 / 507 00.

My owners handbook says that my engine specifically requires VW 506 01 (for longlife) or VW 505 01 (for distance and time).

The dealership was quite helpful in explaining that the original oil is no longer in production and that they put the SLX professional powerflow in all longlife serviced cars. I have bought the oil but seek assurances from you as to it's suitability for my car. I realise that VW PD engines require a specific grade of oil only one that is to the exact specification. Could you please confirm therefore that I am able to use VW 504 00/ VW 507 00 oil in my car in future.

Many thanks for your help.

and the reply was (fairly quick)

Thank you for your email outlining the issue of the right oil to use in your vehicle, I have spoken to our technical department and they have confirmed you can use VW504 00/ VW507 00 as supplied by one of our Volkswagen retailers. If you require any further assistance please contact me.

Yours sincerely
Customer Service Advisor
Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited
Registered Office: Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5AN Registered in England No: 514809

Am I reassured having read this thread?

Ben
03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
I use this - ELF EVOLOUTION CRV 0w - 30

PHOTOPRODUCTSDESCRIPTIONSPECIFICATIONDocumentshttp ://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/Images/lang_1/488.jpg ELF EVOLUTION CRV 0W-30 Synthetic technology premium oil for Gasoline and Diesel engines.Specially formulated to reduce Volkswagen engine fuel consumption.Its properties improve the efficiency of engines with injection pumps.
ACEA A5/B5

VW 503.00 / 506.00 / 506.01Product Data Sheet (http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_1/488.pdf)

enigma1992
04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
I've also asked Castrol - the manufacturers of Longlife SLX and this is the reply today:

The EDGE 5W-30 meets the latest LongLife III specifications ( 504 00 / 507 00 ) and is backwards compatible with LongLife II so VW dealers will now be using the latest LongLife III specifications in place of the LongLife II and this is quite acceptable.

LongLife III supersedes the LongLife II in all but some R5 engines and is miscible with LongLife II so you can use for top up and refill

Kind regards

Lubricants Automotive - Europe Region
Lubricants Technical Advisor

So i'm happier now than I was yesterday. A thought did cross my mind: most PD TDI's must be around 3 years old by now, do VW care anymore if the engines start to deteriorate if they are all out of warranty? The above email disproves this. :Blush2:

onzarob
04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I use this - ELF EVOLOUTION CRV 0w - 30

PHOTOPRODUCTSDESCRIPTIONSPECIFICATIONDocumentshttp ://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/Images/lang_1/488.jpg ELF EVOLUTION CRV 0W-30 Synthetic technology premium oil for Gasoline and Diesel engines.Specially formulated to reduce Volkswagen engine fuel consumption.Its properties improve the efficiency of engines with injection pumps.
ACEA A5/B5

VW 503.00 / 506.00 / 506.01Product Data Sheet (http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_1/488.pdf)

I would stick with castrol, they ddi develope th oil with VW;)

Don't beleve the marketing hipe:D

tim-spam
10-09-2007, 08:55 AM
non hardened camshaft
No such thing. Castrol technical are talking nonsense.

tourantog
11-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Halfords have a long life oil that they said was ok for the 2004 Touran 19.TDI, I am worried now that they have not picked up that there is a diference in any specs for the longlife oils.
I will have to pop back in to see if the oil is my book says 506 01 is 507 00 ok as well?????

steveg9
31-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry - just come to this thread after a long time off forum (no I haven't been inside....):D
If anyone still needs some SLX II I have an unopened litre (for a small consideration to include postage) - please PM me

JAMEST5
28-08-2008, 06:59 PM
i recently had a service on my van. the oil i should be running on is 506.01 longlife. my service receipt says castrol slx longlife III has been used. does anyone know the spec of this oil, i cant seem to find it on castrols website

gladtobegrey
30-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Having used up the last of my stock of Castrol SLX LongLife II, I emailed Opie Oils, who confirm that, whilst they stock a VW 506 01 oil by Fuchs, oils to VW 507 00 is also fine. I also Googled and found this 2007 document on the VW UK website:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/content/owners/Longlife_servicing.pdf

which confirms VW 507 00.

Tallguy
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I went to my dealers to get some longlife oil to top up my Golf.. I noticed they gave a different make of oil. When I asked they said the original oil was no longer supplied and they were using Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30W.. After seeing your comments I checked the back of the oil bottle.. it says..

Recommended for applications requiring* VW502 00 / 503 00 /503 01 /505 00 / 506 00 / 506 01 (*all VW engines with exception of Unit Injector TDI without Longlife Service and without DPF between 1999-2003 and R5/V10-TDI before model year 2006).

I don't know if it makes sense to you, I've copied it straight from the bottle, missing out foriegn translations.

My 2004 1.9TDI Golf has almost reached 100,000 miles.. and done almost 10,000 miles since it's last service... seems fine.. fingers crossed :-)

geejayy
31-01-2010, 10:14 AM
hi guys plz excuse all my dumb questions,

from reading through the link below i'd guess that the 507.00 spec oils replace previous grades and are suitable for almost all diesel engines includeing pd's & those with dpf's
with the exeption of
namely 5 cylinder & v10's ?

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/content/owners/Longlife_servicing.pdf

the castrol ' right oil 4 my car' page-

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

suggests;- edge turbo diesel 5w-40.
for my bus giving engine as sharan 1.9 tdi pd,-auto (66-85kw)

log book states engine number auy 313...........

am i safe in assumeing 507.00 spec oil is the way to go?

btw, i can understand how the wrong grade damages pd engines,
how exactly does the wrong grade damage dpf's ?

Crasher
31-01-2010, 10:48 AM
If you are on extended service intervals, use oil conforming to 507.00. A DPF can be damaged by sulphur in oil.

geejayy
31-01-2010, 11:10 AM
ta crasher,
i guess its just costs that dictate some other grade for fixed service shedule?

Crasher
31-01-2010, 04:23 PM
On a normal fixed interval schedule, you do not need the Longlife oil, something like Quantum Platinum is fine.

Buzzoff
12-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm running Quantum Platinum in my BKD Golf gt tdi, I'm not doing the longlife(engine killer). I'm cahnging my oil & filter every 5K, this is much better than leaving oil in the sump for upto 18-20K.

In my opinion and experiance clean oil is much better than black old longlife oil FACT.

Cheers,

Buzz

oilman
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
If you are on extended service intervals, use oil conforming to 507.00. A DPF can be damaged by sulphur in oil.

Even if it's not a long life schedule, you need a 507.00 spec oil if the car has a DPF. I would still advise changing it at 10k, but the 507.00 bit is very important with DPFs.

Buzzoff
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
You will find that VW & Audi use Quantum Platinum fully synthetic oil for fixed service schedule on PD engine vehicles.
I would not advise anybody to follow the longlife service schedule if you are looking to keep the car long term, as no matter how good Castrol say their longlife oil is it will not stop the oil sludging up the oil ways causing a costly £2K + repair bill (I have been there and done it, trust me Audi did not want to help).

I know what I will be carrying on with now and in the future.