PDA

View Full Version : Safe mode?

grover
16-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Hello again,

My W reg tdi PD engined 115bhp sport is occasionally going into what i would call safe mode, or limp home mode.

It happens when i have given her some welly overtaking, or pull hard up a hill.

I didn't hear anything unusual, see any spoke or feel anything nasty, so on the first occasion it happend i switched her off and immediately 'bumped' her while going along. This probably reset something as she was then fine.

I appreciate that the mode is trying to protect the engine, and that something could be wrong as it coincides with moments of high load, so i would prefer to get to the bottom of it - any advise? get the errors read?

Will a copy of vagcom find out whats wrong - i think a friend has access to this?

Cheers

martin1810
16-02-2009, 04:06 PM
vag-com won't tell you what is wrong but it will give you a clue. The commonest cause seems to be loss of vacuum due to pipe leaks.

Hex69
16-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Or a failed MAF.

grover
16-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments.

A friend also just replied to a text and suggest the MAF sensor too.

I'll get it read soon and drive like i have a bowl of water on my lap in the meantime.

Cheers guys

Tom

leespot
16-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Or pipes on the wrong parts :o Serioulsy though, as the guys above have said, VAGCOM check should point you in the right direction.

grover
16-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I have just bought a cable with the software so will hopefully know in a few days.

I dont think the cable will be on wrong - i did (well everything but the belt itself) the cambelt a year ago and it hasn't been touched besides an oil/filter change, and its not everytime you boot her she plays up.

Cheers

Tom

creedxup
16-02-2009, 06:23 PM
If you have an adjustable "tuning box" on your car, turn it down (less power) a bit as this was the cause of my similar problem on my 98 110 tdi