PDA

View Full Version : Question Runs rough when cold

Maz
16-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Car was fine before but recently an orange light with a triangle comes on and when this is on the car shakes when idle and drives really rough. Once warmed up is fine.

Any ideas?

Marco34
16-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I assume you have a B5 model looking at the picture? I don't know what that symbol means? Is it in your manual? You may get a quicker response from someone in the B5 forum.

Cheers

Maz
16-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Mate that is my wifes car, I have the 2002 model which is the B6. The light normally comes on with the ignition then goes out straight away it is orange triangle with a circle round it.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/e36driver/Audi/Image013.jpg

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/e36driver/Audi/?action=view&current=Image013.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3 Cimg%20src=%22http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/e36driver/Audi/Image013.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3E

TullyAGS
17-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Is that not the ESP warning light? It comes on when I turn my ESP off. Cant see how that could cause the car to run rough and shake though? (cant see the pics so just a guess!)

futumch
17-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi
Mine has started doing exactly the same thing today. It runs rough till it warms up, if you stop the engine then start it again it does the same for a minute or so then runs fine.

I checked under the bonnet when I got home (in failing light) and could hear air 'leaking'. I checked around the pipework and think one of the air pipes to the fuel system might have a hole in it. Moving the pipework made the engine run smooth.

After a minute the air 'leak' stopped which leads me to believe the engine takes in more air when cold or during a warm start then shuts the intake off.

Off work on Friday so I'm going to check it then. Will report back.

I'm no mechanic so could be completely wrong.

Maz
17-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi
Mine has started doing exactly the same thing today. It runs rough till it warms up, if you stop the engine then start it again it does the same for a minute or so then runs fine.

I checked under the bonnet when I got home (in failing light) and could hear air 'leaking'. I checked around the pipework and think one of the air pipes to the fuel system might have a hole in it. Moving the pipework made the engine run smooth.

After a minute the air 'leak' stopped which leads me to believe the engine takes in more air when cold or during a warm start then shuts the intake off.

Off work on Friday so I'm going to check it then. Will report back.

I'm no mechanic so could be completely wrong.

That is exactly what I am getting, if I restart the engine after running it a short while it goes back to normal. i will check my pipes also.

Nice to know I am not alone :beerchug:

Marco34
17-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi Maz

Sorry for the confusion there.. I just saw the pic with not details of the car. Is it the ESP light but that should not have any affect on running rough. Does it only run rough when this light is on??

futumch
18-02-2009, 02:26 PM
That is exactly what I am getting, if I restart the engine after running it a short while it goes back to normal. i will check my pipes also.

Nice to know I am not alone :beerchug:
No probs. Just a note, I'm running a 2 litre petrol so things might be a little different. Sounds like the same problem though.

Maz
18-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Maz

Sorry for the confusion there.. I just saw the pic with not details of the car. Is it the ESP light but that should not have any affect on running rough. Does it only run rough when this light is on??

No worries. It is the ESP light, I waited till the car was warm and the light had gone out and while I was driving pushed the ESP button and the light came on, didn't make any difference to the drive.

I can't see the connection either but it is the same light. The ESP stops the wheels from spinning i.e traction control, yes?

Maz
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Bad news guys. Got the car plugged into a computer and what comes up? One of the injectors is not working. A compression test is required then ......... bottom line £700:confused:

futumch
04-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I had my car in the garage for a few days.
They found quite a few hoses split or perforated in the maniflod for the air intake to the fuel management.
£170.

Maz
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
That sounds a lot better than what I am hearing. I have left it with another garage for a second opinion, fingers crossed see what happens

Maz
06-03-2009, 11:21 AM
:banana: £180 and the car is cruising smoooooooooooth now. Loom was FUBAR ed

Goes to show should always get a second opinion, won't be going back to the first garage now, shame really the dude seemed like a decent chap and has done minor works on the car before.