PDA

View Full Version : 2003 A4 1.8T Cab will not start

chris gibson
15-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi, I hope someone can help.

Firstly, a bit of history on this car.

2003, we the 2nd owner bought it two years ago with 26k, a tidy car.

At 37k problems with oil sludge, however I managed to sort this with a 2 x Wurth engine flushes and two oil changes.

Disaster at 47k, engine failed again with the dreaded sludge problem. A 2k bill came from the Audi dealership, new pump, cam belt and tensioner fitted. We challenged Audi UK on the back of documentation relating to this problem from Audi US. The Audi dealer was cool and very helpful, in the end it cost us £800. However, Audi UK would not accept any liability?

Latest problem

My wife came home on Friday evening 13/2/09 to say her car was vibrating and lacked power. Saturday morning the car started without a problem, I drove it for about a mile (no problem) then the vibration with a misfire became apparent. On tick over and up to say 3000 rpm no problem.

I changed the plugs with new but noticed some of the wiring leading up to each coil had its insulation disintegrating - I repaired this.

Since that point the car will not start, its trying to but no chance. I then checked each coil and noticed No1 coil has no spark, checked and verified definetly a duff coil. Ordered two brand new ones off ebay, waiting delivery.

Has anyone else had these symptoms and was it coils as I am not convinced? Could it be a timing problem?

Thank you I look forward to any suggestions - Chris:zx11:

towcestervag
15-02-2009, 10:07 PM
check tci pack on top of air cleaner but this usally causes miss fire on no2 cyl

chris gibson
15-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow impressed - Thanks for the reply. What is the TCI pack?

towcestervag
15-02-2009, 10:18 PM
transistor controlled ignition
basically it is a transformer for the coils

chris gibson
15-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi, is that by the air filter or the cab filter (if so where roughly is it) cheers

towcestervag
16-02-2009, 12:09 AM
this unit is fitted on the top of the air cleaner its about 50mmx30mm with a connector on each side i think its 4 or 5 pin its held on by 2 8mm headed bolts or 2 philips screws

chris gibson
17-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi, I fitted two new coils today, the car started first time, running perfect.

Took it for a spin, then once the car was warm the misfire (as if it is running on three) became apparent again, exactly the same symptoms as previous. It does 'clear' at about 3 thousand revs.

Any ideas!:confused:

kite
17-02-2009, 07:21 PM
change the other 2 coils....

chris gibson
17-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks - I was hesitant to do this as many seem to say its unusual for all of them to go.

chris gibson
21-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I had the car diagnosed by Volksmaster in Oldham, a good firm and highly recommended. Unbelievable, the two new coils purchased off eBay one prooved faulty. Had 4 brand new OEM coils fitted, the car is now running perfect.:Blush:

Thanks to all or responded to this problem:beerchug:

The diagnostic result also identified a problem with a themostat the engine symbol light in amber came back on today when on the motorway. Temperature guage reading fine? I will start a new post to see if anyone knows or may have had a similar problem.

warner
08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi Chris
I am taking Audi UK to small claims court as I have suffered complete engine failure due to sludge.Problem I have now is that the original engine was removed and sent back to Audi before I could get an independant inspection. I am now looking for an expert witness who can prove the sludge problem does affect people in the UK. The dealership claim there has only ever been one reported case in the UK...I would estimate the problem normally occurs just outside of warranty but need more people to come forward. Can you assist?