PDA

View Full Version : Oil Sensor warning light coming on intermittently

willibob
15-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi guys & gals

Hope someone can shed a wee bit of light on this before I replace the unit unnecessarily!!

Basically the warning comes on (accompanied by the beep) either when you switch on the ignition or whilst you're driving. There's no apparent pattern to it. It can go days/weeks without doing it and then when it does it'll do it for a few days.

The car is a 1.9TDi 130.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Bill

towcestervag
15-02-2009, 10:10 PM
is it yellow warning light? or red

willibob
15-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi

Its yellow and its an image of an oil can with the text 'oil sensor' that comes up at the top of the centre panel of the infotainment thing between the speedo and tacho.

Ta

Bill

towcestervag
16-02-2009, 12:03 AM
ok this is the level sensor
check bonnet switch operation this can cause the light to come on

willibob
16-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Cheers for that. I'll give it a go.

When the bonnet is open and the ignition is on, the centre panel shows it as open on the diagram (the one where it also shows if the doors & boot are open).

If the display doesn't show the bonnet as open (when its closed) at the same time as it complains about the oil sensor can I assume that the bonnet switch is functioning correctly?

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Marco34
16-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Cheers for that. I'll give it a go.

When the bonnet is open and the ignition is on, the centre panel shows it as open on the diagram (the one where it also shows if the doors & boot are open).

If the display doesn't show the bonnet as open (when its closed) at the same time as it complains about the oil sensor can I assume that the bonnet switch is functioning correctly?

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

I would have thought so. It could be a faulty oil level sensor. Towcestervag may have more ideas on this as I hadn't heard about the bonnet switch causing the fault. If you fix, let us know... seems an odd one. Have you connected it to VCDS/Vagcom?

towcestervag
16-02-2009, 05:58 PM
hello again sounds like level sensor gone they are easy to replace