PDA

View Full Version : HIGH Fuel Consumption Passt AUTO HELP!!!!

Oomenj
07-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Hello All,

I always wanted a passat and the other day I finally bought one. I now am the proud owner of a 1.8 Automatic 20v 1998 passat.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the fuel consumption, it is abnormally high, I do around 210 miles on a full tank, even on a auto this is very high.

I have been to my garage for them to check it out, they have hooked it on the diagnostic computer but found nothing. Even when idling or driving the car is smooth and there is no evidence or running rich or rough idling! Spark plugs were clean and no black smoke from the exhaust, which all are the usual tell tale signs of high fuel consumpton, they are not there, yet she continues to consume high fuel!

Has anybody had this problem, can anybody advise or help me, I am desprerate to find the fault as I love my passat but whith such high fuel consumption I will need to leave her go.
Please help!

danski
09-12-2005, 08:25 AM
I`m not really sure, but as no-one else wants to help.....

I`ve heard that a dodgy MAF sensor can ruin fuel consumption... May be worth having a look over on PassatWorld for some help too.

Oomenj
09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi Danski,

Thanks for the reply. I know the MNAF is problematic, but would any MAF failure show up on the diagnostics tests?

stuart
10-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi Danski,

Thanks for the reply. I know the MNAF is problematic, but would any MAF failure show up on the diagnostics tests?

No, not really:confused: Unless the MAF is well and truely shot, it may not show any fault codes.

I belive the only way to check a fault with a MAF, is to either change the unit, or do a DATA-LOG using VAG-COM or similar diagnostic that allows you to drive the car. This will then allow you to see the reqired value, and the actual value of air flow.

Stuart