PDA

View Full Version : Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 0w-30 fully synth

knights_bridge
08-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi all - this is my first post.

I've got a 2003, Golf Tdi PD 130 on fixed service intervals. Just coming up to 40k service. All services to date being done by main dealer. Its now out of warranty so I want to do the servicing myself.

I was walking through the market today and saw a guy selling Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 0w-30 4litres for £15 - bargain I thought so I bought it. Yes ---- you guessed the question -- can I put it in my TDi PD. I've just checked on the Castrol site, and this forum, and it looks like I should be using 5w-40 to 505.01 spec.

Thanks
Rob

mkpp786
08-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Im pretty sure u have to use 5w 40 to 505.01 spec oil.
This has been mentioned before, check this link, which is an earlier thread:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5112

Check post number 5 (i think) by DEVONUTOPIA... i think u may find your answer there!!

Teutonic_Tamer
10-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Check out my replies in the same thread too!

Basically, any PD (unit injector) engine must only use oil to either 505.01 for fixed interval servicing, or 506.01 for LongLife servicing. If you have used anything else, then drain it out, renew the filter, and fill with the proper stuff - ASAP

bora(ing) nick
10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread.... but..

Is the 506.01 also rated as 0w30.

I ask because, when i bought the car i knew the PD engines on longlife needed special oil. And they informed when they serviced it, (the Car people) they used LL oil.

I was just looking back over the paperwork i got with the car and it says 0w30 engine oil, not a mention of 506.01 anywhere???

Thanks

Eshrules
10-03-2007, 12:35 PM

I ask because, when i bought the car i knew the PD engines on longlife needed special oil. And they informed when they serviced it, (the Car people) they used LL oil.

I was just looking back over the paperwork i got with the car and it says 0w30 engine oil, not a mention of 506.01 anywhere???

Thanks

its possible then, that they could have used any oil rated at 0w30, i think im right in saying that although it may be the correct rating, this doenst really mean anything, it must be VW approved, ie, 505.01/506.01 dependant on the service interval regime your car is on..... best bet as always, if unsure and can't confirm what was put in, change it, better save than sorry....

Teutonic_Tamer
11-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Yes, but the viscosity rating (0w30) is completely irrelevent! Your owners manual will give no specific requirements for any particular viscosity rating. The only specific requirement would be that the oil MUST comply with VW standards 505.01 or 506.01.

To be slightly pedantic, all PD engines, irrespective of service regime, need special PD oil! ;)

More importantly though, there are currently 3 completely separate "longlife" oil standards, from three completely separate vehicle manufacturers. You are obviously aware of the VW LongLife standards (503.00, 503.01, 506.01, 504.00 & 507.00), but there are also BMW longlife standards, and furthermore there are GM (Vauxhall/Opel/Saab) longlife standards. These three conflicting car manufacturer standards are NOT interchangeable, and the use of a BMW or GM longlife oil in a VAG motor WILL invalidate the warranty. This is THE main reason why Mobil 1 is snake oil, as they claim to meet all three separate longlife standards! :aargh4:

Write to the Car People, demanding under Data Protection Regs, they provide you with written confirmation of the FULL specification, including the oil manufacturer, of oil they used. If they refuse, or if they admit to the wrong oil, write back to them, stating that they have voided the manufacturers warranty, they have not complied with the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer, they WILL have caused permanent engine damage . . . etc.

Copy your letter to Trading Standards.

Obviously, if they do confirm that 506.01 oil was used, and tell you that it was, say Castrol, you could send a sample off to Castrol Technical for a free oil analysis, and they will confirm weather they actually did put the oil in which they claimed!

bora(ing) nick
11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Yes, but the viscosity rating (0w30) is completely irrelevent! Your owners manual will give no specific requirements for any particular viscosity rating. The only specific requirement would be that the oil MUST comply with VW standards 505.01 or 506.01.

To be slightly pedantic, all PD engines, irrespective of service regime, need special PD oil! ;)

More importantly though, there are currently 3 completely separate "longlife" oil standards, from three completely separate vehicle manufacturers. You are obviously aware of the VW LongLife standards (503.00, 503.01, 506.01, 504.00 & 507.00), but there are also BMW longlife standards, and furthermore there are GM (Vauxhall/Opel/Saab) longlife standards. These three conflicting car manufacturer standards are NOT interchangeable, and the use of a BMW or GM longlife oil in a VAG motor WILL invalidate the warranty. This is THE main reason why Mobil 1 is snake oil, as they claim to meet all three separate longlife standards! :aargh4:

Write to the Car People, demanding under Data Protection Regs, they provide you with written confirmation of the FULL specification, including the oil manufacturer, of oil they used. If they refuse, or if they admit to the wrong oil, write back to them, stating that they have voided the manufacturers warranty, they have not complied with the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer, they WILL have caused permanent engine damage . . . etc.

Copy your letter to Trading Standards.

Obviously, if they do confirm that 506.01 oil was used, and tell you that it was, say Castrol, you could send a sample off to Castrol Technical for a free oil analysis, and they will confirm weather they actually did put the oil in which they claimed!

Cheers TT, once again you have been most helpful :biglaugh: :beerchug: .

Nick

Teutonic_Tamer
13-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Cheers TT, once again you have been most helpful :biglaugh: :beerchug: .

Nick

Why, thank-you! :D

I should be getting mighty drunk from all the beers people keep offering me! ;) :biglaugh: