PDA

View Full Version : G12 PINK V's BLUE (Ordinary Antifreeze)

Passatguy
13-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Is there any problem putting the normal blue coolant into a tdi passat 115 bhp rather that the G12 that I have always used. I know that they shouldn't be mixed but if the system was drained could the blue be put in instead. I was told that the blue if fine... it just doesn't last as long before it starts to loose its properties.
Does anyone know if this is ok. :confused:

hongkongstuey
13-02-2009, 03:43 PM
just put whichever is the one to use by original vw spec. i wouldnt put normal spec non g12 in mine cos of it needing g12, getting through a bit recently with leaks etc and isnt cheap but if it keeps the engine going then im always going to put it in.

Passatguy
13-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Surely it won't do any damage ? or will it............:confused:

snapdragon
13-02-2009, 05:03 PM
There have been no scientific tests carries out as far as I know, so best stick to G12. If it's the cost of genuine VW stuff that puts you off, Comma now do one and Morrisons Petrol Stations (not the shop) do 1litre bottles of suitable Havoline for £1.99 each. I think you need an OAT-based rather than phospahte/silica these cooling systems are fragile enough as it is, what with leaky radiators, oil coolers, waterpumps seizing and impellers shattering.

martin1810
13-02-2009, 05:17 PM
It don't matter what you use as long as the system is well flushed as they shouldn't mix. There are two different blue antifreezes and these should not be mixed. The colour is not the problem. It's what they are based on that's important. So read the container carefully and stick to one type, not one colour. This is very important because they have different freezing ranges.

xenon
14-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I wa led to believe that the pink G12 stuff doesn't need changing whereas the blue ethol-glycol stuff should be changed every two years. The freezing point of both depends on the concentration.

Mike McKinstry
14-02-2009, 01:49 PM
OAt is also recommended as it reduces running temps hence why it was introduced to all K series rovers after HGF problems.I have used OAT based a/freeze in all my cars since 98.

martin1810
14-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I wa led to believe that the pink G12 stuff doesn't need changing whereas the blue ethol-glycol stuff should be changed every two years. The freezing point of both depends on the concentration.

In theory they all need changing in time. They contain all sorts of corrosion inhibitors. The fruit juice (pink) lasts longer than the other two.
The blue ones are Ethylene glycol and Propylene glycol. The blue ones need different testers to read concentrations. Yes freezing point depends on concentration but the concentrations are slightly different for the three types to give the same freezing point. You Cannot mix blue and pink types. If you mix the blue types, a float type antifreeze tester will no longer read correctly. God cars are becoming complicated.

Passatguy
14-02-2009, 02:19 PM
uummmm..... so the blue could be ok if the system was drained of the g12 but its important to know what type of antifreeze/summer coolant it is rather that the colour........thanks for that i didn't realise that there were different make ups of the stuff....apart from the g12. :o

I only ask because whatever the make up of the blue stuff is, its now in the car and i have been driving it for a day or so now.

I shall have to go back to the garage and ask them exactly what they put in.
Should I be overly concerned at this point or resist driving it further until i know the answer:confused:

martin1810
14-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't worry about it. The garage almost certainly used ethylene glycol (blue) as this is much easier to get hold of. Even if you accidently mix them you still have good protection at 50:50 water mix. There will be thousands of cars running round with the blue antifreezes mixed because lots of mechanics think they are all the same.

cazyp
14-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Is there a drain on the bottom of the rad for coolant changes - Passat 130TDi?
Any special proceedure for bleeding after filling?
Cheers