PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Heater, is it possible?

hackeron
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I love my 54 plate A4 TDI but after having a petrol which heats up much quicker, it is such a pain to wait 10 to 30 minutes on a freezing rush hour morning for that diesel engine to heat up before I can stop shivering (and not being able to see anything while that windshield is defrosting) :(

Is it possible to add an auxiliary heater? - Is there an OEM or after market option? - Anyone retrofitted one on their B6 A4?

danclyon
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I love my 54 plate A4 TDI but after having a petrol which heats up much quicker, it is such a pain to wait 10 to 30 minutes on a freezing rush hour morning for that diesel engine to heat up before I can stop shivering (and not being able to see anything while that windshield is defrosting) :(

Is it possible to add an auxiliary heater? - Is there an OEM or after market option? - Anyone retrofitted one on their B6 A4?

You must have something wrong - as my heat is coming through within 5 minutes, often less - and it's always thundering through by the same point in my journey - less than 2 miles....

Others may be able to tell you what :-)

D.

hackeron
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
You must have something wrong - as my heat is coming through within 5 minutes, often less - and it's always thundering through by the same point in my journey - less than 2 miles....

Others may be able to tell you what :-)

D.

In the freezing weather, at rush hour traffic it can sometimes take a good 20-30 minutes to drive the 2-3 miles required for the engine to heat up - long enough to get bronchitis ;)

EDIT: Also, this 115 TDI takes a lot longer to warm up compared to my previous petrol 2.0 honda accord. - Sure keeping it at 3k while sitting in traffic gets it warm eventually, but I'd rather have an aux heater.

benjie
12-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Idling my b6 A4 for 5-10min before I leave the house is enough to ensure there's no mist and the car is warm enough to sit in without a coat - though I leave the heat on 25-28 all the way to work.

hackeron
12-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Idling my b6 A4 for 5-10min before I leave the house is enough to ensure there's no mist and the car is warm enough to sit in without a coat - though I leave the heat on 25-28 all the way to work.

It says in the manual idling the diesel engine on an A4 B6 is bad for it unlike the petrol engine.

danclyon
12-02-2009, 11:46 PM
In the freezing weather, at rush hour traffic it can sometimes take a good 20-30 minutes to drive the 2-3 miles required for the engine to heat up - long enough to get bronchitis ;)

EDIT: Also, this 115 TDI takes a lot longer to warm up compared to my previous petrol 2.0 honda accord. - Sure keeping it at 3k while sitting in traffic gets it warm eventually, but I'd rather have an aux heater.

Move house? ;)

benjie
12-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah I know, but did it with my MkIV for 5yrs with no probs, I think sometimes they are a little overprotective! it's only about 1 in 5 days in winter I do it... Can't be helped sometimes due to the weather etc!

Anyway, the point was that idling my car for 5-10min provides some heat - yours appears not to?

hackeron
13-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah I know, but did it with my MkIV for 5yrs with no probs, I think sometimes they are a little overprotective! it's only about 1 in 5 days in winter I do it... Can't be helped sometimes due to the weather etc!

Anyway, the point was that idling my car for 5-10min provides some heat - yours appears not to?

10 minutes generally does it, yes - but when the car is covered with snow (like now) or ice (typical in the winter mornings), it takes a good 10 minutes to get any heat, 20 minutes of idling to warm up to reasonable temp, and a further 10 minutes to make the car reach about 24c. Besides, even 10 minutes is unpleasant. I'd love to jump in the car and get near instant hot air blowing at me from all directions :)

benjie
13-02-2009, 12:30 AM
I know what you mean, I like the faced and feet bit - v nice in the cold!

Anyway, there is an auxiliuary heater option in the handbook, so I would assume it can be retrofitted? Wouldn't like to think of the price though.

Alternatively, there are things like these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48775), then use the recirc button to keep it warm!

hackeron
13-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I know what you mean, I like the faced and feet bit - v nice in the cold!

Anyway, there is an auxiliuary heater option in the handbook, so I would assume it can be retrofitted? Wouldn't like to think of the price though.

Alternatively, there are things like these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48775), then use the recirc button to keep it warm!

I have an RNS-E, I'm integrating a reversing camera (comes on in reverse gear) and a divx player in it next week with OEM controls, everything is nice and integrated, no silly remotes or anything. And then there's a cheap ugly, ugly ceramic heater on the dash with a cable running from the cigarette lighter socket across half the car? -- Bah! :)

benjie
13-02-2009, 12:46 AM
I know, I wouldn't touch it with a pole either, but if you're getting really really annoyed, you could give it 2min in the car, then put it inside?! A temporary stopgap perhaps?

Col
13-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Your cheapest option is probably to fit a Kenlowe Hotstart.

Only any good however if you can park near a power supply.

Look here...

http://www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/whatwill.html

The piccies are a bit 1970's btw.

I've thought about getting one for years but never have as they are still quite pricy

benjie
13-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Quite a funky bit of kit... how much is it?

hackeron
13-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Your cheapest option is probably to fit a Kenlowe Hotstart.

Only any good however if you can park near a power supply.

Look here...

http://www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/whatwill.html

The piccies are a bit 1970's btw.

I've thought about getting one for years but never have as they are still quite pricy

I'm never parked near a power source :(

Turbokiisseli
13-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I have an Eberspacher auxiliary heater in my 130bhp TDI. The OEM Audi heater is made by Webasto. The OEM heaters can be found on Ebay.de but it's easier to retrofit a new one, so I decided to get the Eberspacher D4WSC w/ EasyStart R+ remote control. These can be found on Ebay.de as well.

More info in this thread: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57654

The OEM heater is CAN controlled and it's controlled by the DIS stalk buttons or the OEM small NAV roller controller on the center console.

randall977
13-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes my A3 2.0 TDi takes about 15 minutes of driving at about 60mph to get upto temperture on a cold day. A very small amout of heat comes out after 5 minutes - but not much. My old 01 Passat TDi seemed to get heat out almost immediately - I could never figure out how - I assumed an aux electrical heater??

Turbokiisseli
13-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Most newer 1.9tdis came from the factory with electrical heaters that heat the heater matrix. However, the electrical heating only works if you have the aircon in the AUTO setting.

hackeron
15-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Most newer 1.9tdis came from the factory with electrical heaters that heat the heater matrix. However, the electrical heating only works if you have the aircon in the AUTO setting.

Would a 54 plate come with one? -- if so, it isn't working on mine. My aircon is set to Auto and the fan doesn't turn on until the engine starts to heat up a bit - the fan then turns on and the fan speed gradually increases from minimum to maximum speed as the engine heats up and then decreases when the temperature is reached.

Col
15-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Would a 54 plate come with one? -- if so, it isn't working on mine. My aircon is set to Auto and the fan doesn't turn on until the engine starts to heat up a bit - the fan then turns on and the fan speed gradually increases from minimum to maximum speed as the engine heats up and then decreases when the temperature is reached.

Should do.

What these are, are in fact glowplugs on the cooling system. I've seen these on a 1998 AFN 110 HP TDI