PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 TDI Sport brake problem

rimotu66
12-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi all, have just found this forum and am hoping you guys can help me out.

My 94 Audi 80 sport 1.9 TDI estate failed mot on discs and brake performance so Ive fitted new discs and pads all round, everything went well except I have no brake at all on the n/s rear.
the caliper is ok so I cracked the bleed nipple on nothing is coming out, ive goneas far as the brake proportioning valve and theres no fluid coming out of there either so I'm suspecting that is at fault, or does anyone have any other thoughts,,abs box etc????

Please :1zhelp:

Cheers. Jon.

micheal balbrig
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi all, have just found this forum and am hoping you guys can help me out.

My 94 Audi 80 sport 1.9 TDI estate failed mot on discs and brake performance so Ive fitted new discs and pads all round, everything went well except I have no brake at all on the n/s rear.
the caliper is ok so I cracked the bleed nipple on nothing is coming out, ive goneas far as the brake proportioning valve and theres no fluid coming out of there either so I'm suspecting that is at fault, or does anyone have any other thoughts,,abs box etc????

Please :1zhelp:

Cheers. Jon.

Probably silly question but is the system bled properly? I think the brakes work on diagonal sets I.E. lh rear / rh front
I did read somewhere that abs unit has to be bled using vag equipment if air enters same but I never had to resort to this

rimotu66
12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Probably silly question but is the system bled properly? I think the brakes work on diagonal sets I.E. lh rear / rh front
I did read somewhere that abs unit has to be bled using vag equipment if air enters same but I never had to resort to this

Honest answer is I havnt a clue. All brakes work ok apart from the o/s rear, I got as far as cracking the 'proportion valve to caliper pipe' and wasnotgetting any fluid from there , then the snow started so I gave up as my tools where disapeering under the white stuff..:zx11:

My next move was to strip the valve and see if theres anything wrong there , really hoping its not the abs block as thats going to be mgga money..:1zhelp:

micheal balbrig
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Honest answer is I havnt a clue. All brakes work ok apart from the o/s rear, I got as far as cracking the 'proportion valve to caliper pipe' and wasnotgetting any fluid from there , then the snow started so I gave up as my tools where disapeering under the white stuff..:zx11:

My next move was to strip the valve and see if theres anything wrong there , really hoping its not the abs block as thats going to be mgga money..:1zhelp:

Probably best to have brake system bled fully in normal way first. It is probably only air in system causing your problem

It is recommended to disconnect battery while carrying out work on brake system on abs models

rimotu66
13-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but I cant see it been that as the other 3 brakes work fine and I have a good solid pedal :confused:

As I said, when I cracked the nipple coming out of the proportioning valve and pumped the pedal nothing came out.

Am back on shift now for 5 days so it will be next week before I can look again.
I guess the next step is to crack the nipple going into the valve and see if its getting a supply from the abs unit.
Anyone else have any ideas....:1zhelp:

Cheers.
Jon.

rimotu66
18-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Heres an update on this problem. There is no fluid coming out of the o/s/Rear port on top of the abs unit. All the other brakes are fine and the abs light goes out as it should a few seconds after the ignition is turned on so it dosnt seem to be seeing a fault.

Any ideas folks? Have found a company that will rebuild it for me for £100 + vat but cant see why I cant do it myself if I make a tool to get the bolts out.

Any one else done this?

scotty33
19-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I've heard bleeding the rears with the engine running can help. Something to do with the ABS pump, maybe worth a try before you spend time/money on it?

rimotu66
19-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the advise but they dont need bleeding, all brakes now have fluid the fault is with the abs, I have started a new thread on this one.

Cheers.
Jon.