PDA

View Full Version : Third Zone Climate Control - Effective?

Red 2
12-02-2009, 07:24 AM
The three zone climate control,much vaunted by the marketing at launch, very effective in the front with the conventional dual zone but the third zone i.e. the rear seating area just has a simple wheel with limited travel between hot and cold. To be honest, I struggle to feel a huge difference in the temp of the air coming out.

Anyone else noticed hw effective or otherwise the rear temp adjustment is?

A1287210
12-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I also noticed that there are vents that work beneath the front seats..I didn't believe this until I accidentally dropped a piece of paper in the foot well and was surprised to see it fluttering on the floor.!!!!!:o

mkc
12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Ive never actually felt much in the way of air come out of the third/rear seat zone. Regardless of the setting at the front I get very little come out of the back? Mine is set to the max on the third zone. Are they effective? I dont know Ive only had a two year sat in a child seat for about 3 miles whilst Ive owned the car!

I also feel that very little comes out of the centre two at the front. In other cars Ive had you normally get a hair moving rush of air come out of them, not on this car I dont. The cabin does obviously heat up so perhaps its a more gentle approach from Audi and not the typhoon Ive had from less well built cars!

Red 2
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes, I should have added that the airflow from my car's rear vents is, shall we say, designed so as not to cause discomfort...i.e. almost non-existent!:biglaugh:

My old Golf Mk V had more airflow from its rear vents. So with limited airflow and even more limited temp adjustment, are the A4's rear vents actually serving much purpose other than helping marketing types get over excited?

andyrp
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I never hear the air con really going for it unless the windscreen demist is on. At all other times it is fairly quiet and I find that quite deceptive as it makes me feel it isn't working (a bit like medicine that tatses nice). The rear vents seem somewhat lacking in power as well but I suspect it is more about refinement as the car temperature always feels right and the car temperature does change when the air con settings are changed - my wife always likes lower settings from my slightly warmer settings.

In fact I was messing about with the climate control today to see what difference the various settings made and no matter what the front centre vents never really seemed to have much oomph.