PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Buying guide 2004 S4

kcheeno
11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Away to buy a 2004 manual Audi S4 with 47k miles, just want to know what to look for like common faults, Known problems etc. when is timing belt change due? how long between services? is servicing expensive? cheers

ScottyUK
11-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Some had an issue with engaging reverse early on but all cars should have had this resolved by now. A lot make a funny noise on morning starts and there was a service bulletin about it which involved removing the engine and replacing a part. Many don't suffer from it anyway. The only really common issue is coolant leaks. This is caused by debris/water collection in the front intakes and causing corrosion. Audi often pay out some good will on this.

The engine has chains and not a belt.....although that didn't stop Audi sending me a card to say mine needed doing. I called and then they apologised. Servcing is either annual/10k miles or lonf life service can be up to 17k miles. Servcing can be up to £450-500 but you can save £50-60 by supplying your on oil.

kcheeno
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Cheers mate. I am not to clued up on these just yet but hope to be soon. So its a timing chain? When are these due for a change? Would you say they are reliable cars?

ScottyUK
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Instead of a rubber belt it's a chain (like on a bike). I think these last "forever". They certainly don't need doing regularly like belts.