PDA

View Full Version : Key fob problems

martin@wolfy
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Has anyone else suffered from the key fob deciding it does not want to open the car? I had it today where the light on the fob was working but no action. Took the emergency key out entered the car put the fob in the ignition and started her up. Took the key back out and bingo it works as normal again.

Wolfy!!!!

Aljo
11-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Had exactly same problem myself this very day except I was trying to lock the car.Light coming on as normal on fob but no sound of central locking.I locked the car with the key from the fob and when walking away cursing to myself,I tried it again with key back complete in :(the fob and guess what,it worked and has been fine for rest of the day.

jon_iz
13-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Some times, if you have a strong transmitter working locally in the 433MHz region, it can stop the fobs working by jamming the receivers...
Once you have moved the car somewhere else it will work fine...

Aljo
14-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks for reply but just to mention I did not move the car .It was parked when,whatever reason,it seemed to begin working again and has been behaving perfect since.

Aljo.:Blush:

jon_iz
14-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for reply but just to mention I did not move the car .It was parked when,whatever reason,it seemed to begin working again and has been behaving perfect since.

Aljo.:Blush:
The 433MHz band's Primary User is the MoD. Radio Amateurs also have access to this band as Secondary users...
The Government in it wisest capacity a number of years ago, released a number of "Spot frequencies" for license exempt low power use, within this section of the UHF band.
These spot frequencies are typically used for devices such as key fobs. Unfortunately, such devices, because of their design are not too selective when it comes to rejecting strong signals on nearby frequencies.
So I suspect what you may have experienced is desensitising of the key fob receiver in the car by a strong local transmitter, which could have been mobile and moved away, or a fixed transmitter, that subsequently ceased transmission.
See if it happens in the same location again... At least you have an alternative method of access if it happens again.