PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise (from clutch?) when move off

moz4
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me.

I've got a 2005 Golf TDI. Recently the oil light came on so I checked the oil - it was low so I topped up.

As soon as I went to drive it after doing this, there was a strange noise - a low rubbing noise, accompanied by a burning smell. Same in 1st as in reverse.

The noise only happens as you are letting the clutch out - as soon as it's going there's no noise. Changing to 2nd didn't make a noise until I was going round a roundabout.

I took it to a garage and they've said they think it's the clutch, but recommend taking it to a dealership as they weren't experts.

Anyone any ideas or similar experiences?

towcestervag
11-02-2009, 10:41 PM
sounds like clutch to me
these cars suffered from two mass flywheels as well

moz4
11-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Would this sort of thing show up in engine diagnostics? Would I need to take it to a garage with that to find out what's fully wrong?

adamss24
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Engine diagnostics are only able to pick some electrical faults wont point to mechanical faults ! Take it to a good garage...You might have a rear crank seal gone and squirts oil onto the clutch, hence the burning smell, unless you are riding the clutch !

paul.mgrath
15-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I know mine was on a call back 2 weeks after i bought it (brand new) 2005. Mines the 2.0 diesel and the call back letter said that a seal in the clutch could become faulty and possibly allow oil to ignite in the flywheel??

May be worth a call to vw to see if yours was affected??