PDA

View Full Version : Quattro or no Quattro

Jet-black
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I've been looking at buying a A4 1.8t Quattro and will be interested in remapping it on a later date.

So in peoples experience should I actually continue to look for one, are the worth the extra money, the extra hassle/ expense if they go wrong?.

Considering there seems to be a lack for sale at the moment and I want to buy a new car:D.

GeorgeE
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
OK, well I have a quattro (1.9Tdi Avant). The reason I got it was becasue a good friend of mine had it from new and I knew it had been well looked after.

The 4wd system is pretty bullet proof. As someone said when I asked the same questions, they feed the v6 engine through the same drivetrain, if it will take that amount of power a 1.9 diesel (or in your case a 1.8 petrol) isn;t going to bother it.

Pros: Very good in the snow/ice.
Cons: The extra losses in the drivetrain wastes some of the available power, also hits the fuel consumption by a few MPG.
Ditto the extra weight of the drivetrain.
Tyre wear is high compared with a 2wd vehicle.

Would I have one again? Possibly. In the last week or so it have been very useful. But is it worth it for the little amount of snow we have in the UK? Only you can make that call.

If you have the bigger V6 it is a different argument as the quattro puts the extra power onto the road better, I had a play with a friends motor..... :-)

Jet-black
11-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for your input, i think i will open my searching for a normal 2wds as well.

It doesn't help me that the quattro puts it in to the £410 tax band..

Thanks

phase4
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
hi m8 have a look at this thread.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58513

tax bands too.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=25384

hope this helps

Jet-black
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Cheers for the help Phase4, I think i'm still going to look for both types just to open up my choices.

Im not too sure about the parkers guide unless im doing it wrong but it seems that all quattros are ~£240 a year tax doesn't say anything about the £410 mark.

thanks again

jastimongo
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Forget tax bands............have a quattro they are immense fun the drive train is as you say bullet proof.

garifenton
12-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I have a 2wd but over the last few days with the icey roads I have been kicking myself, wishing I had bought a quattro! Slip sliding away!! :(

Good luck with your search!

benjie
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I went from a 2WD Golf MkIV to a B6 A4 130TDI quattro.... I can honestly say it's a hoot! Forget the weather, the grip off the line in the dry is great, really shocks people! Corners superbly too, noticeably better for me than a 2wd (drove both when looking for this car).