PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Tiptronic or Multitronic - that is the question...

borabeast
11-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Hi folks,

I have a deposit down on a 2004 A4 avant tdi 130 sport auto.

I have read up to page 62 on the b6 forum and all I can say is I hope I haven't gone for the multitronic!

However, how can I tell which box I have? I want to be certain I haven't got a £5k bill looming...

Thanks for any help!

Mark

TullyAGS
11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi folks,

I have a deposit down on a 2004 A4 avant tdi 130 sport auto.

I have read up to page 62 on the b6 forum and all I can say is I hope I haven't gone for the multitronic!

However, how can I tell which box I have? I want to be certain I haven't got a £5k bill looming...

Thanks for any help!

Mark

It will be multitronic. only the quattros use a tiptronic box

jcbjames
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
i always thought the multitronic box was an option. :confused:

lent
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi There,

If you get a good multitronic it is a joy to drive, unfortunatly I don't, look out for juddering and/or hesitation when setting off, revs not dropping away when you come to a halt, revs rising and falling when cruising at a steady speed.

I have had mine re-clutched which has lasted just 12 month, just long enough for the warranty to run out on the work :mad:.

I feel I have no option but to go for a new box as I don't want to off load my problem on some other unsuspecting buyer, and as I said when running properly they are a great box and a great car.

Good luck with yours and let us know how you get on,

Len

borabeast
12-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Cheers for that.

Was kind of hoping it would have been tiptronic!

I took it for a quick drive round the block and all seemed smooth.

My deposit is subject to me being happy after a real good run. Should be going to do that this afternoon.

Is there any particular rev range etc that problems occur most to make it easier to find problems?

It has done 39,000 miles so do I need to look for any particular service details on clutch fluid etc?

Cheers for all advice,buying a new car is normally a pleasure, this is actually turning into a nervy experience!

:beerchug:

TullyAGS
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Problems seem to occour in the lower rev ranges. Mine is currently shuddering very badly at around 1900 rpm. I am also experiencing the shudder when pulling off, bliping revs at constant speed and holding revs when coming to a stop. its on 65,000 miles

The gearbox oil is due to be changed at 40,000 miles so get that thrown in with the price along with a service.

Also check to see if it has had any parts replaced. Like the input shaft, clutch plates or the gearbox ecu.

If it has had replacement parts I would walk away. Seems to be that once the first thing goes wrong it will be never ending.

If its all smooth now then it looks like you have found a good one. Most problems occour when the oil is not changed.

As it has been said many times, it is pretty much luck of the draw in the end. Some get a flawless one whiles others get a nightmare. Only way to know is to take the risk!

borabeast
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks Tully.

Is it me or does it seem like a very high percentage of these gearboxes suffer serious issues?

It seems surprising that Audi haven't done a recall as problems of this scale can damage a reputation.

Does anyone have a figure of how many of these card have issues? 1 in 20, 1 200? seems like 1 in 2.

Also, do these issues pop up after any set miles? around 65000 for example.

Glad I re-found this forum. It was a god send when I had problems with my Bora.

Good luck with your motor Tully, other than gearbox you had any issues?

TullyAGS
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
No worries Borabeast,

I couldn't say how common the problem is but it does seem to affect a fair amount of them.

As for what sort of milage the problems start at it seems to be the higher milage ones that have not had the gearbox oil changed. That being said, I have read stories of the boxes failing as low as 20,000 miles and replacement boxes lasting even less.

As I said its the luck of the draw and how well its been maintained.

Apart from that I have only had other minor niggles. A temp sensor failed and some of the suspension bushes have worn but they are quite common things to go with age. Also check the climate control works properly as faults are quite common. Apart from that they are very solid cars

Hope you get a good one!

borabeast
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi, last question I promise!

Is the gearbox oil changed as part of an audi service or should I look for a separate invoice when going through the cars paperwork?

Wouldn't want to assume that because it has full service history it has been done if this was not the case.

Cheers again

TullyAGS
12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
on each service stamp there are boxes for additional work every 20, 40, 60, 80K etc. If the box for additional every 40k has been ticked it may have been done. If it has it should be on the same paperwork as the service. It most likely hasn't been done though.

As it is an advisory, like timing belts, some people put it off. I would make sure it gets done as part of the deal as you would just have to get it done at the next service anyway!

Cheers
Tully

borabeast
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Cheers Tully,

That will be either part of the deal or first thing done (assuuming the car drives ok and i buy it!)

Cheers 4 all the advice, i'll probably hassle you again shortly!

Mark