PDA

View Full Version : Question Changing an alternator belt tensioner

chris_mbr
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I have a 51 Octovia 1.9 TDI and a noise that appears to be coming from the automation belt tensioner. I have identified the part as a damper type (can be seen on following web page http://www.vwspares.co.uk/octaviabelts.php (ALH model - 21690)). It looks like it's held on by 2-3 bolts. Can anone give any advisse on changing this?

paul b
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a 51 Octovia 1.9 TDI and a noise that appears to be coming from the automation belt tensioner. I have identified the part as a damper type (can be seen on following web page http://www.vwspares.co.uk/octaviabelts.php (ALH model - 21690)). It looks like it's held on by 2-3 bolts. Can anone give any advisse on changing this?
Are you 100% sure its the tensioner?

Depending on what engine you have, it could be the alternator pulley. Is the belt jumping around?

chris_mbr
11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the the response. I have checked the belt and it it not loose. The alternator has just been changed by a garage and still appears to be charging ok. I did take it back and the noise was identified as tensioner. I can now feel vibration in the top end of the damper.

paul b
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry, I should re-phrase.

If you turn the steering wheel to full lock either way, and the poly V belt is flapping then you need a new alternator pulley.

If not, un do the 3 bolts, slacken the belt off and replace the tensioner. Then pop the belt back over it and the jobs a good'un. You'll have to work the belt though and it re-tension it using the said bolts.

chris_mbr
12-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks. However, I have found out that it wasn't the tensioner but probably the power steering pump as the pulley on this came off in a fairly spectacular fashion last night! I have only had a quick look online but can't seet to find a replacement. Do you have any ideas and is it simple to change? Thanks again for you help.

paul b
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks. However, I have found out that it wasn't the tensioner but probably the power steering pump as the pulley on this came off in a fairly spectacular fashion last night! I have only had a quick look online but can't seet to find a replacement. Do you have any ideas and is it simple to change? Thanks again for you help.
Never changed the pump. Would be unfair for me to comment really.