PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide to storing a voice tag

jakerade
10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Help.

I have done it once but i cant work out how to store a voice tag against a phonebook (not directory) entry

All sorts of combinations of press the SDS button and saying "store name" or "store" on the MFS are ending up with people being dialled and me swearing alot! If someone would be kind enough to write me an idiots guide i would be very grateful!

Also I did find last time that i got this to work that if you try and store someone with the same first name as an existing entry eg "John Smith Mobile" and "John Jones Mobile", the nice lady tells me "the name already exists" - stupid system or me?

Thanks

Jake

jon_iz
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Help.

I have done it once but i cant work out how to store a voice tag against a phonebook (not directory) entry

All sorts of combinations of press the SDS button and saying "store name" or "store" on the MFS are ending up with people being dialled and me swearing alot! If someone would be kind enough to write me an idiots guide i would be very grateful!

Also I did find last time that i got this to work that if you try and store someone with the same first name as an existing entry eg "John Smith Mobile" and "John Jones Mobile", the nice lady tells me "the name already exists" - stupid system or me?

Thanks

Jake
From memory:
Press the mode button on the steering wheel until you get the TEL menu.
Using the left scroll roller on the wheel, scroll down to phone book and press the Left scroll wheel again to select the phonebook.
Scroll down the entries until you get to the one you want to store.
Press the voice activation button on the right hand side of the steering wheel and say "Store"
The nice lady will ask you for the name, which you will need to say twice - follow her prompts!
That should be it...
When you want to dial the stored number, press the voice activation button and say "Select Name", wait for the prompt, and say the name you have previously recorded.
When the nice lady repeats the name for you say "Dial" and she will call the stored entry for you...

Hope that helps...

If you want to add different entries for the same name, you need to make them sufficiently different, but in a repeatable way - I do it by almost running the names into one word...

AndyH123
11-02-2009, 02:22 PM
D'oh.. I'd given up on this system 'cos I thought you could just speak digits.

This would save a lot of faffing scrolling using the left hand wheel spinner!

I will give this a go too!

jakerade
11-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Ha - thanks for this - it works.

I have no idea why it didnt work before but i suspect it was the system recognising "store" as "store name" and when i started swearing it probably didnt help

The voice recognition is pretty poor compared to my old Nokia 616 rsap phone i had in my B7. On that you just pressed a button, said the name (which it repeated back to you) and then it just dialed it. It also recognised the entire name rather than just the first name!

AndyH123
13-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it's quite crap, isn't it but thanks to this thread I got mine programmed.

Attempt one was funny:

"Dial name"
"name please?"
"blah"
"pardon?"
"huh?"
"pardon?"
"dialing number"

and it worked! Reminded me of Top Gear reviews of such gadgetry.

Worked fine the second time, then I realised how easy it's always been to dial via the left side steering wheel buttons / scrollers (so long as it's a recently dialed / received number or near the top of the book - scrolling otherwise is painful).

jakerade
13-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I havent tried "dial name" so will try that

I usually use "select name" and sometimes get

"the name please"

"please repeat the name"

as it mistakes "select name" for "store name"

It would be good if audi could update the SDS with some software that works properly as i reckon this is ancient stuff

AndyH123
13-02-2009, 11:19 AM
It would be good if audi could update the SDS with some software that works properly as i reckon this is ancient stuff

Yes, I get that feeling too.

BMWBig6
13-02-2009, 05:12 PM
You don't need to say "Dial" or Select Name" or anything. For an already programmed contact (i.e., you have recorded their name), just say "Call George Bush" if there is only one phone # for that contact, or say "Call George Bush at home" or "at office."

gregpawley
13-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Is the voice tag available wit BT low?

Thanks,

Greg.

On Order
Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.

jon_iz
13-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Is the voice tag available wit BT low?

Thanks,

Greg.

Yes - that's what I have....

Jon.

ScottyUK
13-02-2009, 11:21 PM
If you have MMI high (i.e. SAT NAV) and Phone Prep Low, am I right in saying you only get voice activation for the phone. I know you don't get it on the satnav but just wondering if it really is just the phone.