PDA

View Full Version : Flood water

grover
10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I have done a few searches, but can't find out what i am after, so wonder if you can help please.

Can anyone tell me the rough positon of the air intake on my W reg Passat sport? If you can hint at the depth of flood water i can go through that would be great.

Also, my sister has a Golf blue motion diesel and she managed to get water inside the car (approx half and inch) - Do you think she must have been damn close to sucking up the water?

I'm used to playing about a bit in water in our landrover (with snorkel), and once in a soon-to-be-scraped fiat uno - I managed to kill both headlights in the landy (and fill them up!), and get about 4" of water inside the uno (only needed to dry the dizzy on a couple of occasions), but i haven't a clue where the intake is on either of these daily drivers.

Thanks in advance

Tom

onzarob
10-02-2009, 01:16 PM
The intake is in the grill next the the drivers headlamp, so be carful not to push the water over the bonnet!!. But the intercooler (if its TDI is in the lower passenger corner of the front bumper. Should be airtight/watertight, but I do know someone who broke the intercooler hitting a puddle!!!

grover
10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
The intake is in the grill next the the drivers headlamp, so be carful not to push the water over the bonnet!!. But the intercooler (if its TDI is in the lower passenger corner of the front bumper. Should be airtight/watertight, but I do know someone who broke the intercooler hitting a puddle!!!

Hi, and thank you.

It is a TDI - the PD engined 115bhp estate to be exact, so i will be careful, and if i get change i'll check the hoses are nice and tight.

Does the same apply to the golf, i imagine they are pretty similar aren't they?

Thanks

Tom

cazyp
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't think it's recomended in any car to go through water deeper than the sill. (Inc' a Land Rover :biglaugh::D)

You're only safe going deeper than this in a Toyota Hilux (official Land Rover recovery vechile!:p)

Crasher
10-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Many Passat’s have suffered bent rods due to water entering the intake.

grover
10-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's recomended in any car to go through water deeper than the sill. (Inc' a Land Rover :biglaugh::D)

You're only safe going deeper than this in a Toyota Hilux (official Land Rover recovery vechile!:p)

The old girl loved it - i had my arm out the window (pivoting on the inne r of my elbow) and my hand was in the water. If i went quicker than a crawl the water came right over the bonnet!

My step father (who owns it) asked the next day: ''Why do the healights look like gold fish bowls''?? I said: ''Because they are round''?? the quickly went about replacing the bulbs and sealing them with silicon for next time! ;)

I would never want any flood water in the car as besides the damage it can do, it normally stinks!

In my experience you can get away with going a bit deeper than sills for brief periods, as long as it only just above them and thus the pressure if not too great.

In my opinion most people drive through flood water too quickly - my theory is simple: If the water is lower than your intake by at least an inch or two, by going through very slowly you should prevent water entering it.

I dont believe in creating a trough behind the bow wave as most new cars have the intake near the grill somewhere. As i have learn today if its like mine and next to the head light, right there in the grill you do not want to push the water - whats the point in creating the trough at the back of the engine.

Tom