PDA

View Full Version : Strong exhaust fumes outside and in the cabin

netjunkie
10-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi there all,
i have had my A4 Avant 1.9tdi 2003 (65,000miles )checked 3 times for the same problem.
I have really really horrible exhaust fumes coming into the cabin especially when stationary and reversing. The exhaust stinks of thick diesel exhaust fumes and despite what my garage say about "modern diesels and the diesel itself" not smelling sweet like the old diesels, I think it smells unlike any of the other diesels i see and smell on the road around me. If this wasn't the case i would accept what they are saying to me.
If the engine is running and i load the boot the smell is unbearable as is the smell in the cabin.

I have had the front exhaust/cat replaced and they have looked and looked. i have a full service with all audi parts They did an emissions test which it passed with flying colours. They say now they can see i have a problem but can't really suggest a fix, just put the air on recirculate when stationary or reversing and maybe try a fuel additive to help clean up the emissions.

The other thing is i think it is a little to sooty when driving aggressively. Again they just say this is normal - but this is not normal on the a3 and vectra i drove (work pool cars) on recent work trips.

I think this is an issue that surely can be fixed - could you guys please suggest what i should ask them to investigate further.

Many thanks,
netjunkie

netjunkie
10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
please help if you can.

Andy J
10-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Mine was down to a damaged breather hose but my car's petrol, not sure if the same applies to deisel engines plus the fumes were a hot oil smell.

kenney
10-02-2009, 07:13 PM
In connection with water in the plenum chamber,if the rubber grummets have been removed,the fresh air blower can draw in fumes,especially when the vehicle is stationary.