PDA

View Full Version : Question S-Line headlight problem

Julian.P
09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I have owned my Audi A4 B8 S-Line for 8 months and now starting to experience staining on the inside of both headlight lens, I have returned the car to my local Audi dealership for them to take a look at. After investigation they admitted that they have never seen this problem before and would take it up with Audi. Day later call from the dealership it now transpires that Audi are aware of this problem and its not just a case of replacing the headlamps as this will not cure the problem. Audi are looking into solving this particular issue they have with this type of headlight and will keep me updated.
It would be interesting to know if any A4 S-Line owners are having a similar problem.

B6Andy101
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Julian.

I have the same problem I think, looks like a dirty water stain. I havent taken it in yet but will be doing. I'll post a picture if I get a minute.

Andy

solarseven
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I have owned my Audi A4 B8 S-Line for 8 months and now starting to experience staining on the inside of both headlight lens, I have returned the car to my local Audi dealership for them to take a look at. After investigation they admitted that they have never seen this problem before and would take it up with Audi. Day later call from the dealership it now transpires that Audi are aware of this problem and its not just a case of replacing the headlamps as this will not cure the problem. Audi are looking into solving this particular issue they have with this type of headlight and will keep me updated.
It would be interesting to know if any A4 S-Line owners are having a similar problem.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of what it looks like?

Julian.P
09-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Julian.

I have the same problem I think, looks like a dirty water stain. I havent taken it in yet but will be doing. I'll post a picture if I get a minute.

Andy

Hi Andy, Yes your exactly right it looks like dried dirty water droplets that have run down in side the light lens, noticed it about 2 months ago and has gradually got worse I will try and take some pictures when it stops raining. You need to let your dealer know the more complaints Audi get the quicker they will resolve this problem.
Julian

Red 2
10-02-2009, 07:43 AM
My A4 SE (but with the LED lights) has had this at least since April last year when I also thought it was water staining. Keep forgetting to mention it to my dealer.

One crumb of comfort might be that in 10 months it hasn't got any worse.....manufacturing issue?

A1exp
10-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I've got exactly the same problem, dirty water droplet stains on the inside of my Xenons.

I thought I might be able to get into the light cluster some how and give them a wipe but i've not had chance to investigate yet.

sunil1234
10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
mine has the same issue, i was wondering why it wasnt washing off!

my wife also has a similar issue on a 58 a4 2.0t fsi cabriolet which is the old shape!?

BMWBig6
10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
This thread is useles without pics.

Julian.P
10-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I managed to take some pictures this evening. Is this the same problem everyone else is experiencing?

Julian

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/1393818/640/new-A4/P1000529.jpg (http://www.picturepush.com/public/1393818)

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/1393817/640/new-A4/P1000528.jpg (http://www.picturepush.com/public/1393817)

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/1393813/640/new-A4/P1000526.jpg (http://www.picturepush.com/public/1393813)

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/1393812/640/new-A4/P1000520.jpg (http://www.picturepush.com/public/1393812)

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/1393808/640/new-A4/P1000519.jpg (http://www.picturepush.com/public/1393808)

B6Andy101
10-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Mine is as the photos show. Thanks for that, I can show the dealer it is not an isolated problem. Andy.

BMWBig6
10-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Holy cow, that looks like an octopus was living in there! Thanks for posting the pics.

A1exp
10-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Yep mine's exactly the same as that, if not a little worse in the nearside headlight.

Be interested to know what the dealer says and what action they take so I can take mine into Bolton Audi and get them to sort it.

mkc
10-02-2009, 11:42 PM
That does not look good. ll be checking mine in the morning. It looks like condensation (spelling?) and the heat from the light has evaporated it.

r99ljh
11-02-2009, 12:27 AM
hi there,
beeen looking at everyones comments and checked your pics and i have found that i have the same problem with my lights. Will get in touch with Audi aswell and show them fault/problem.I also thought it was on the outside,now wonder i couldnt clean it off!!!!!

Red 2
11-02-2009, 07:31 AM
My one is not as bad as the pics shown but nevertheless easily spotted on close inspection.

Will contact my dealer to add support to the cause.

AndyH123
11-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Wow - not quite was I was imagining! Octopus indeed!

Just popped down to the carpark to double check mine - no signs of anything like that. Hope Audi can sort it for those who do have this.

Waister
11-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh my god - just checked mine and I've got the same problem. I've had my s-line for about 8 months.

B6Andy101
13-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Visited my local dealer today, who were extremely helpful as usual. They had not seen this before and said they would speak to Audi. Less than an hour later they came back to me - as Julian noted in the first post of the thread, Audi are aware of the probelm, there is a technical file and they looking at an engineering solution, they even have photographs of the problem for the dealers to compare against on their intranet site. The dealer will advise of the solution when it is made available. I suggest that you get the problem registered on file with your dealers as early as possible...

Red 2
14-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Seem as the same type of headlghts are on the R8, A5, A3 etc., wonder if the problem is common on those as well?

Red 2
14-02-2009, 12:49 PM
As I was out washing the beast this morning, took a quick piccie of the nearside unit. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up the spots as well as the eye does but look against the upper 'eyelash' and you can just about see them.

Interesting point I noticed is that on my car (a March 08 delivery 1.8TSE), the drivers side headlight appears not to have them. The other unit has however had them at least since April but they have not spread or become clearer.

One for Audi....

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk25/atholforbes1/WEB-Audi-Feb-09-003.gif

Red 2
06-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Warrington Audi have ordered a replacement unit so hopefully my problem is solved. :)

Julian.P
07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Warrington Audi have ordered a replacement unit so hopefully my problem is solved. :)

That’s interesting, are they replacing with a modified version I was led to believe that a direct replacement would not cure the problem.

Red 2
07-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Not sure that this is a problem that gets worse. My car has one perfect unit with no hint of spots (car now approaching 12 months old) and the other unit has had the spots since new but they have not got worse in that period. Smacks of a QC issue with the supplier so a new 'clean' unit should hopefully sort my car's issue once and for all.

B6Andy101
16-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Its been a few weeks now...anyone heard any more about the fix ??

Red 2
17-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Getting my replacement unit fitted tomorrow.

Julian.P
17-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Rang my dealership last Thursday still refusing to replace headlamps until Audi come up with a fix. I urge anyone with this problem to pressurize there dealer for replacement lights. The more complaints Audi get the quicker they will resolve this problem. :zx11::zx11::zx11:

Jop
29-03-2009, 10:35 PM
After 3 massive hours cleaning my car I too noted that I have an octopus living in my headlights. I will be mentioning it to the dealer tomorrow, if there is currently no fix, i will insist that they remove the headlights and give them a clean themselves.

Car looks mint BTW, although 2 stone chips on the bonnet and a couple scratches near the boot. Its only noticeable to me, but I'm my own worst critic.

Unfortunately ran out of daylight to take some pictures.

Red 2
30-03-2009, 06:47 AM
My replacement unit has no spots and the remaining original unit still has none after a year of ownership (early SE model with xenons). Has to be a manufacturing defect methinks.

tlionhart
30-03-2009, 06:57 PM
A3 also has this prob :( its prob heat from the led and condensation.

jabicho
31-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I´m writing to you from the nothern part of Spain, which is quite humid, and i´ve got a a4 b8 avant bought last october, it also has the spots you´re mentioning...i´ve told my dealer about this and says no replacement is allowed by audi at all, cause this won´t solve the problem. It´s clear that the spots come after condensation dries out, especially on rainy days.Nevertheless, these spots are only visible in if you´re in a dark place withe your lights on

tlionhart
31-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I´m writing to you from the nothern part of Spain, which is quite humid, and i´ve got a a4 b8 avant bought last october, it also has the spots you´re mentioning...i´ve told my dealer about this and says no replacement is allowed by audi at all, cause this won´t solve the problem. It´s clear that the spots come after condensation dries out, especially on rainy days.Nevertheless, these spots are only visible in if you´re in a dark place withe your lights on

yes thats correct. And its not like they obstructed the visibility in anyway. Its just condensation, which i originally thought. Perhaps all cars with xenons get them i guess?
If the visibility was really obscured then you would need them replaced. I can only see them well in the night. In the day not noticeable.

Red 2
01-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Strange thing is I have never noticed any condensation inside my units and the 'spotty' one replaced by my dealer (I obviously have a very nice dealer!;)) had the spots, as far as I can see, from new and they did not change or increase in number. The other unit on my car has never had the spots and remains crystal clear to this day.

Replacement unit spot free.

All very puzzling.

Julian.P
20-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Ok chaps just a quick heads up, after my dealership had emailed pictures of my headlights to Audi UK they have now agreed to replace both headlights, “good news” it’s amazing what continuous complaining can do.:beerchug:

Red 2
20-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Good news!

And, some weeks on, my replacement unit has been through some pretty horrendous v cold early morning starts in the Highlands and no spots have appeared. Think the problem is solved.

RickT
20-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Just to add my 2 pence worth to this thread,

The B6 and B7 headlight units were vented to a certain degree and had this issue with damp, however it soon dried out with the air flow,

Maybe its the winter months in the UK and the salt on the road which is leaving the dirty condensation inside..???

I would be down at the dealer demanding new light units and also drop them an email with this thread.. :aargh4:

Rick

jabicho
21-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Here in Spain I´m still struggling with these porblem of the inner spots on the headlights, my dealer has just sent Audi some pictures of the spots and I´m wainting for an answer, apparently Audi is quite reluctant to change headlights as they say it won´t solve the problem

Bratty
21-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Normally modern headlights are sealed at manufacture, therefore I would like to think that if you have condensation inside your headlight unit (watermarks are dried condensation due to the temperature that the lights give of when on) then there are two possibilities, you have a light unit which is not sealed or the relative humidity when the unit was assembled was to high. Sorry for me it is a no brainer the fault is with Audi!

Dunk

B6Andy101
21-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok chaps just a quick heads up, after my dealership had emailed pictures of my headlights to Audi UK they have now agreed to replace both headlights, “good news” it’s amazing what continuous complaining can do.:beerchug:

Can you let me know which dealer had now agreed to replace your units to help my cause.

:fing02:

Julian.P
26-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi Andy, booked into Ipswich Audi to have the replacement lights this tuesday.

B6Andy101
28-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I have now also had mine replaced by York Audi. :D

Keep the pressure on but remember it's not the dealers that are resisiting the replacement, they need authorisation from Audi UK. It seems the dealers have to put a few calls in to show the you will not be backing down.

Julian.P
28-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Chaps, just to let you know I had both headlamps replaced today:biglaugh: they have also replaced both off side front and rear 19” wheels as the paint had started to flake on the inside of the rim. Andy is absolutely right you guys with stained headlamps need to keep complaining to your dealers for replacement lamps.

Red 2
29-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Think this is a good example of some dealers being more proactive than others.
How to retain customer loyalty...or not.

Scott9824
08-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm now having this problem with my 09 A3. I had noticed some slight spotting inside the light previously, but today I noticed actual droplets of water in the light after cleaning the car, and now, when viewed at night, this is very noticable in both headlights. Does anyone know if Audi have changed the headlight units from the original design to fix this problem?

A1exp
08-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm due my first service on the 13th and I;ve mentioned the lights issue to them so I'll be pushing for replacments...

I wouldn't mind if they replaced my front alloys as well as I've kerbed both of them to a small degree.... :(

Scott9824
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I have phoned Audi and I am going in on 16th for them to take pics for a warranty case.

B6Andy101
08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm now having this problem with my 09 A3. I had noticed some slight spotting inside the light previously, but today I noticed actual droplets of water in the light after cleaning the car, and now, when viewed at night, this is very noticable in both headlights. Does anyone know if Audi have changed the headlight units from the original design to fix this problem?

There is no engineering solution at the moment on the A4 Unit.

Extract from VWG portal available to dealers:

Technical Product Information Ref 2019163/1 (Relates to A4 Problem)

"We are working on a repair solution which will be published here....A replacement of the headlamp is not effective, as all headlamps are the same. The complaint could therefore recur"

They are however replacing units if you complain hard enough via your dealer. Keep the dealer on side though or you've got no chance with Audi UK direct.

Good luck, keep at it.

jabicho
08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
There is no engineering solution at the moment on the A4 Unit.

Extract from VWG portal available to dealers:

Technical Product Information Ref 2019163/1 (Relates to A4 Problem)

"We are working on a repair solution which will be published here....A replacement of the headlamp is not effective, as all headlamps are the same. The complaint could therefore recur"

They are however replacing units if you complain hard enough via your dealer. Keep the dealer on side though or you've got no chance with Audi UK direct.

Good luck, keep at it.

Could you tell us what date is that technical bulletin from??? Here in Spain we´ve got the same problem and some dealers seem to be changing headlights by themselves, although Audi doesn´t pay them the replacement units...unluckily for me my dealer won´t replace my headlights and therefore I´m still waiting for a soluction from Audi...:1zhelp:

B6Andy101
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I dont know when it was first published. The dealer printed it off the system on 6th April 2009. Advice was unchanged when my units were replaced about two weeks ago.

A1exp
13-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I've just had my car in for a service at Bolton Audi and I brought the issue of the stained headlights up.

They pre-ordered two headlamp units but Audi technical wouldn't let them fit them as there's an outstanding service issue.

I guess I could push to have them replaced but if they're only going to stain again there doesn't seem to be a lot of point.

The chap said he'll add my name to the list and when Audi release a fix they'll have the car in.

Scott9824
13-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I went into Crewe Audi and spoke to the warranty manager, he said that the lights aren't sealed units (I thought they were...) so it will happen, and that Audi will only replace if there is a lot of water or it distorts the beam pattern..... now I dunno what to do. I mean, it's not bad at all, but since it'll most likely just happen again, shall I just wait until Audi fix the problem and go back to my local Audi?

tlionhart
13-05-2009, 06:41 PM
i think audi know condensation happens as it says in the owners manual it's normal to get it in the unit. It says especially on cold days. They prob won't ever come up for a fix. I guess your best of leaving it and waiting until it gets really bad or you actually see water in there. My a3 also has this problem.

Scott9824
13-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I did see some (blobs of) water in there, but it eventually went, leaving some of the so-called "octopus" marks on the inside of the lens..... maybe if they do ever come up with a fix I'll give it a good spray with a pressure washer and take some pics of the water. I never, ever had a problem with condensation in 1.5 yrs with my old Vauxhall, despite retro fitting Xenon's to its projector headlights.

Red 2
14-05-2009, 04:40 PM
There must be a problem with the atmospheric control at the headlight factory for, 14 months on (yes, it was an SE) , my remaining original Xenon unit is absolutely spot/blemish free. The unit that was replaced by my Audi dealer had spots a month after delivery but its replacement unit has remained crystal clear.

All very strange....

jon_iz
29-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I went into Crewe Audi and spoke to the warranty manager, he said that the lights aren't sealed units (I thought they were...) so it will happen, and that Audi will only replace if there is a lot of water or it distorts the beam pattern..... now I dunno what to do. I mean, it's not bad at all, but since it'll most likely just happen again, shall I just wait until Audi fix the problem and go back to my local Audi?

I went in today, with stained headlamp lenses on my long list..
End result is that parts are apparently being ordered to replace mine..
Let's see if they follow through or if Audi UK but the blockers on it..

jon_iz
20-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I popped in to my local dealers today, for touch up paint.
While there, i was advised that replacement headlamps have arrived for my car. There is now apparently a modification available, with breather tubes?
It's going in next friday for the work to be done...

Scott9824
21-06-2009, 12:31 AM
I popped in to my local dealers today, for touch up paint.
While there, i was advised that replacement headlamps have arrived for my car. There is now apparently a modification available, with breather tubes?
It's going in next friday for the work to be done...

Hi mate,
Out of interest, how much is the touch up paint? Who did you deal with at Crewe as I'll give them a call when I get back off hol.
Thanks.

jon_iz
21-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi mate,
Out of interest, how much is the touch up paint? Who did you deal with at Crewe as I'll give them a call when I get back off hol.
Thanks.

For the headlights - Liz, for the touchup paint anyone in parts - £5.81 inc.
Have a good holiday!

A1exp
02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Anybody else been to their dealers about the new replacement lights that are on offer?

A1exp
06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Following up on this, can anybody (a8tech) confirm if there is a new part available to fix this?

I took mine to the dealers last week and they told me the Audi info said under no circumstances should they fit new light units.

Anybody have the technical bulletin details/part nunbers etc I can use to try and convince them to replace my lights?

tlionhart
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
mines really bad now. :( Unfortunately its a known problem, they won't fix it. Apparently a lot of cars with xenon headlamps do this now. I guess you could ask them to clean the inside for you?

A1exp
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Hmmm that might not be a bad idea.

I thought the lights were semi-sealed units and you couldn't get to the glass?

Various people on here have had them replaced, I was wondering if there's some magic info re new parts or whether they're just making more noise than I am!

Julian.P
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Hmmm that might not be a bad idea.

I thought the lights were semi-sealed units and you couldn't get to the glass?

Various people on here have had them replaced, I was wondering if there's some magic info re new parts or whether they're just making more noise than I am!

I see some of you guys are still having problems getting your dealers to change your lamps, had the same problem to start with, dealer refusing to replace.:zx11: However a phone call to Audi UK backed up with photographic evidence they were changed within a fortnight. Have had no issues since replacement.:beerchug:
Keep up the complaining!!

jon_iz
06-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I see some of you guys are still having problems getting your dealers to change your lamps, had the same problem to start with, dealer refusing to replace.:zx11: However a phone call to Audi UK backed up with photographic evidence they were changed within a fortnight. Have had no issues since replacement.:beerchug:
Keep up the complaining!!

Maybe it's down to the dealer as to how loud they shout?
The local dealers were given the go-ahead to replace, even though other posts were saying that their dealers would not do it .
When I took it in, I was advised there were modified parts which included a vent tube.
My lights were swapped 3 months ago. My headlights still remain octopus footprint free ...

tlionhart
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
rang both audi uk and camberley audi. A.UK said the seal has more then likely gone. Camberley audi were quite promising, but I said I could send photos to speed things up.

I know it's not a huge issue, but we pay through the noses for these cars, it's not the customers prob that the manufacture can't design properly ventilated units.

A1exp
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Well I was all set to play hell on the phone yesterday but the girls opening words were "all the ordered parts have arrived including new light units which we'll fit tomorrow"

Currently sat in the Audi dealers and the lights are being fitted as I write this.

The head tech said he had another A4 with exactly the same problem so i'd guess most dealers have seen this now but some are obviously more willing than others to replace!

tlionhart
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
how long did they say it will take? I could of had it fitted this week, but she said it could take 2+ hrs to do...so i have to wait till the start of next month for a loan car!

Which dealer did you take it to?

A1exp
07-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I rolled up at the dealers at 8.15 and I was out by 10 with a wash and a vac.

However they were *supposed* to be fitting a new turn-signal cover to my wing-mirror as well (wrong part).

The guy this morning said it would take between 1-2 hours for both bits of work.

It's been into Blackburn Audi this morning and I definately rate them over the other dealer that I use (Smith Knight Fay in Bolton)

tlionhart
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
if it takes up to 2hrs, then do you think its just worth sitting and waiting?

Bratty
07-10-2009, 11:43 AM
It takes a MAX of fifteen minutes to change both headlights over (and thats for adaptive xenons which has extra bits) if the garage is charging you for two hours then they are taking the preverbal! You do not have to take the bumper off!! and headlight alignment is one of the most simple I have come across! Did mine on the garage wall, (Never been flashed due to blinding on-coming traffic).

Dunk

tlionhart
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Fortunatly it's being done under warrenty :D

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz176/tlionhart/th_IMG_1406.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz176/tlionhart/th_IMG_1404.jpg

Also those links prove the light IS affected by this condensation! I got this same prob on my A3.

A1exp
07-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I'd say it's worth sitting and waiting.

It tends to focus their minds as they know you're waiting and there's coffee and wifi, and all the other Audi's you can't afford...

I reckon it will probably only be an hour if you're in early and the dealer isn't slow off the blocks.

Standing in the viewing window glaring may help speed things along!

Warranty claim form I was given confirms there's an Audi TPI relating to various A4's manufactured without breather tubes in the lights and there are replacment units with breather tubes available.

The only problem (as I've discovered this evening) is that the lights often need to be manually adjusted (mine are set too low) but as dunk says, it's an easy fix.

tlionhart
07-10-2009, 11:00 PM
i tried to change that today, but she wouldn't let me. She said i was best off with a loan car...fair enough.

looking at all the other audi's i can't afford...yes and thinking just one day...one day. And getting jealous of those handing suitcases full of cash over for an S5 and saying, ill treat myself today....

I know on the a4 you can set the lights also through the MMI. On the a3 this isn't possible...so i hope its right, otherwise its a run back to audi to get them adjusted. Would it be patronising for me to tell them how to do their job? Like a reminder...as in please remember to set them and not just fit them!! (mind you i have prob answered my own question, just saying please don't wash/hoover the car almost got me killed!!)

Bratty
08-10-2009, 11:44 AM
The headlights have to be adjusted the old fashioned way with an A4, if they are too low, release the screw holding the top of the lamp adjust the smaller pependicular screw in (Clockwise) to raise the beam and the pushing the top of the lens lightly (so it keeps contact with the adjusting screw) do up the unit retaining screw. If you start to get flashed whilst driving at night then you´ve been a bit over-enthusiastic.
The European setting on the MMI "ONLY" lowers the complete unit (both sides) causing the kick-up part of the light pattern to be low enough to not blind oncoming traffic in LHD countries (it is OK for holidays but is not good enough for driving on the continent all the time).

Dunk