PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.8 Turbo problems

woodview
09-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Having an issue with my turbo on the 1.8 (190 model). Basically when driving sometimes the turbo works the car is nice and powerful but then it has gaps in the power surge so it is a bit jittery power, no power, power.

Other times when I get in the car its like I barely have 100bhp cause it is that slow and acclerating from 2th to 3th to 4th gears is very very slow and it appears the turbo is not working.

Had a service today oil changed, spark plugs changed going back tomorrow to change the dump valve. Wastegate, Air Sensor have all been checked, dont know if the hoses have been checked but ill instruct tomorrow. Anyone else with Audi turbo had these issues, a bit miffed and worried as it has only 26k on the clock.

Thanks

randall977
09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Check out my recent thread; http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=59621 . I had a simular problem which, to cut a long story short, ended up being the boost pressure sensor at the top of the intercooler below the passenger side light. £70 from Audi and 5 minutes to replace - part number 038 906 051 D (on my 163bhp model). I had mine plugged in and the fault codes came up as turbo over boosting (or simular)... It's now rectifed and perfect. It's a common fault - the garage knew the part number off by heart!

woodview
09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Cheers ill mention that to them tomorrow hopefully it is something small I think there are 5/6 parts which are common faults on these models, sometimes you have to go through them all :-(

randall977
09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes, I went through nearly all of them - I even accessed the turbo to check the wastegate operation and the bearing condition. I replaced the DV but really those things don't tie in with the symptoms. The fault is not constant but variable - which points to a faulty sensor - I'm 99% sure your car has the same problem. As I said in my thread Audi were next to useless at diagnosing the problem.

http://www.worldimpex.com/assets/partimages/040799.jpg

woodview
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
All fixed it was one of the ignition coils it went on the way back to the garage this morning.

Didnt bother changing the divter valve in the end, my power is back so happy

randall977
10-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Well just goes to show that 99% certain can oftern be wrong :o! That's great - easy fix. How much are the coils? I've had two of mine done - it would have been my next port of call if the sensor hadn't sorted the problem.

woodview
11-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I think they are about 20 quid, the garage didnt charge me he was working on an S3 which needed all the coils changed so we just put on one of his on my car :-).

If i get the power surge problem again the coils will be the first thing to check.

Glad it was that, only had the car a few weeks was begininng to wonder, moves brilliantly now had a Porsche and BMW (think Carrera 4 and 535i) try and take off from on the way home this evening, they were very surprised lol as the car is debadged so they havent got a clue what I have under the bonnet.

Get it polished up the weekend now

woodview
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Here we go again. On way to football training tonight car was running good then slowed, no real pick up for 5 miles. Went training came back 2 hours later all power back in the machine. Very annoying now going to have to go back into the garage albeit a different garage to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Anyone recommend a garage im in in NW London so London, Herts and Essex reachable for me.

Thanks

ratbag_03
15-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Had the same issue with my 190 1.8T, had a coil go then 1 day later another coil went. Garage I went to say's it's best to replace all 4 coils together as the new ones will put extra strain on the old coils. This is a common issue with all 1.8T models I am told. I carry a spare coil now just in case it happens again.

randall977
15-02-2009, 05:56 PM
The previous owner of my car had two coils replaced just before I bought it. Though I've fixed the boost problem I do seem to have a power surge issue when the car is nearly warm but not quite - other than that it's fine 95% of the time. Could it be the coils?

woodview
15-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Im going up to AMD Technik in Essex on Tuesday so hopefully they will get to the root cause. I have been out twice today in the car and all my power was there. I will probably get them to put all new coils in and they also have a product "PowerCore ignition coil amplifiers VAG 1.8t" which increase spark plug power, may go for this also.

If none of the above works, hopefully by checking all turbo components they will find the problem or maybe it needs a good clean for oil and dirt.

Car has only 26k on it but the previous owner didnt change oil in 20k miles which I dont think helped the car.