PDA

View Full Version : Car locks itself after 1 minute

tyberwan
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi

On two occasions, I have left the car keys in the car and it has locked itself up. The one time was right after I unlocked the car to pick up something in the boot, I left the keys inside and shut the boot down. After an hour, I wanted to open the boot to get my keys but the car was locked.

The other time, I unlocked the car and left the keys in the ignition and closed back the door. After an hour or so, the car was locked with the keys inside. Luckily on both occasions, I was at home having access to my spare one...

I have read in the manual that if you do not open the car after 1 minute, the car will lock itself automatically. But not when you have opened the door within 1 minute.

Is there another "rule" I am not aware of?

thanks

Macdoon
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Tyberwan

I have just this week chopped in my 1.9TDi 130. Had the same issue.

If you unlock the car, and have put the keys in the ignition but not started the engine then close the doors/boot, my car would also lock itself after 45secs - 1 minute, however if i started the engine it would not lock, Audi dealer Service manager said this was normal :confused::( Hope this helps.
Mac

randall977
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Does it only do iyt when you use the drivers door or any door? If it is just the drivers door I would replace the drivers door lock assembly (not the lock barrel) - the microswitch in it is probably not telling the car that it has been opened. You may be able to get one off eBay cheap - takes about 1 hour to change.

Nexus
14-02-2009, 09:23 PM
In this case the convenience system is not detecting a "door open" signal and so then reverts to its preprogrammed parameter of auto locking the car back up again, if the car is given an "s contact" (ignition key in barrel but not ignition on) signal this also cancels out the auto lock feature and it is common for both S contact and door signal to both go down at the same time!
check the door rotary switches in measured values for correct switching status and also the s contact condition via measured values using a reputable scanning tool such as VAG-COM or a genuine VAS tool such as the dealers use if you can?
Its a simple diagnosis but the fix could be a little harder to rectify as it may require a complete door lock unit.
nexus