PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 Ps 122

bilen123
09-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Ordered a new 1.4 TSI 122 because I hear the 140PS and 170PS developed problems (supercharger and Turbo did not work so well togther)
Delivery end of march 2009
Any comments -

iallen1@btinter
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
mine is coming beginning of march 1.4 tsi 122 bhp se, cant believe the power in that engine, incredible

bilen123
11-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Let me know how things go....I was a little concerned about reliability and consumption.
The 14.TSI (along with 7speed DSG) has not been around too long. I think 3 years in various other models so only time will tell if there are any long term reliability issues

The 1.4 twin charge versions I hear did have a problem so were withdrawn (offical line - the TSI 1.4 was so much in demand there was a shortage of parts - more like replacement parts!) so they only ship the 1.4 turbo.
I bought the car for the Mrs because it is petrol, auto and mist important gives 36mpg urban (as it is a school run car). So if it turns out to be alot less than 36mpg I will be mega-disappointed.

iallen1@btinter
11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Will do, it should be here for march 1st, funny really this is my fourth brand new VW on the trot and i had nithing but trouble with the other three, if its not reliable then it will go back under warranty. The new mondeo is supposed to be the bees knees but they have many problems, and i had a run in a new fiesta the new vw is loads better, every make and model has problems so i will keep everything crossed

bilen123
11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Wish you never told me that.about problems with you other VWs.

Bought the Mrs a Mark 4 back in 2000...ran it for 7yrs (only issue was that it leaked water and use to mist up)...after 7yrs risked an independant VW retailer (approved) for service, wish I never! as it came back with a problem...car misfired at 50mph or after a long run when it slowed down. Took in to VW 3 times (£300 bill each time and they could not resolve it)
Couild be a coincidence but reckon the garage bloke did something on it's service

In the end P/ex it for a new FR2 - fabulous car, no issues with reliability and I must say it's a prestige motor alright. Problem...20mpg, oil service £400 and the wife could not park it anywhere without somebody knocking it (filled the parking space up)
Back to tried and trusted Golf -0 Mark 6 new territory hope it;s ok.
I knowwhat you say about warrantly but it's all the inconveniience of taking the motor to the garage, getting a courtsey car etc etc. So I am hoping I have no issues....mind you I fully expect major issues (like my previous golf) will no doubt occur outside the 3yr warrantly period!!!
Have up opted for the manual of DSG
How much did you pay? did you get a discount as you were buying new?....I got a rotton p/ex on my Freelander (but then again the bottom has fallen out of that market)

iallen1@btinter
11-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I live in Derbyshire and rang about 20 garages up, exact car is MK6 golf 1.4 TSI SE 122BHP 3DR in Silver, i paid £14200 on the road thats with no part ex £7500 deposit and £6700 to finance, the only extra i had was the upgraded leather steering wheel, gearknob gator and handbrake which is £110 extra. I will buy some mats straight away and maybe flaps later. In the brochure it shows the SE with the upgraded steering wheel but the small print says its extra, you get the on in the s model very crafty VW. the car is from the new VW/audi centre in Norton Sheffield, google it and have a look apparently its the biggest audi service centre in europe.

bilen123
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
So using as list price of £15375 you made a saving of 7.5%..no bad
Looks like I got the same....

List for mine is £17332 - got 14K p/ex (about the same as everybody else) and so with a discount of £1386 (8%) I had to pay £3800 on top.

J400uk
02-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Seems to be some mis-information in this thread.

The twincharged (aka turbocharger and supercharger) 1.4 TSI units are still in production, albeit in 160ps form. Taken from the brochure:

1.4 litre/160 PS (01) (118 kW) petrol engine: EU5 compliant four cylinder in-line engine with homogeneous mode
(Lambda 1), stratifi ed high-pressure start, turbocharger with waste gate, additional mechanical supercharger,
intercooler and dual-circuit cooling system. Fuel system regulated according to requirements using high
pressure fuel pump with integrated pressure limiting valve. Intake manifold fl ap change-over omitted,
regulated duo-centric oil pump, metal cartridge oil fi lter and three way catalytic converter

bilen123
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
ok, the 140 and 170 (Turbo and Super charger) developed problems and so were replaced by a 160...I wonder if the underlying problems are still there?
Can't take the risk which is why I opted for the 122 standard turbo

iallen1@btinter
02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
my 1.4 122bhp golf should be here in two weeks

bilen123
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
When you siad 1st march - that was the end of the build week then. From what I can tell it takes a further 2 weeks to get it over and make it 'on the road'

iallen1@btinter
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
mine was build week 8 so i am hoping to have it in the next two weeks

CharlesCourtney
17-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Ordered a new 1.4 TSI 122 because I hear the 140PS and 170PS developed problems (supercharger and Turbo did not work so well togther)
Delivery end of march 2009
Any comments -

I have the 1.4 TSI 122 in my 3 month old Golf Plus and love it - such an improvement over the 1.6 FSI - it responsive and fun to drive.

I have it with the DSG and would recommend either and both to anyone.

slo007
18-03-2009, 11:37 PM
My 1.4 160 7DSG will be ready in 2 weeks, too. Hopefully it will be bullet proof (knock on wood)!

Rhigour
22-03-2009, 08:48 PM
This has to be the best all round engine on the market anywhere. It has colossal low down grunt and smoothly whisks you up to whatever degree of illegality you desire. Mine it linked to the DSG gearbox and the acceleration is such that I have never felt the "S" mode necessary. In daily commute into town I get 45mpg and the computer says my average is 47mpg over the two months I have had it. On a weekend country run over A & B roads I can get . 52+. Yes it is petrol, bearing in mind the extra cost of a diesel and the 8-10p extra derv costs this has to be the economic choice.

iallen1@btinter
22-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Are you running it on unleaded or super unleaded, my dealer said i could use either in mine

Rhigour
22-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Running on regular 95 unleaded low sulphur . The handbook says it is optimised for that. It will run OK on Super but no improvement on mpg.
The important bit is low sulphur, Shell or Esso for me, it does not like supermarket juice.

iallen1@btinter
22-03-2009, 10:08 PM
I have been filling at tesco for a few years know and havent really had any problems, is it true that supermarket juice is not as good as shell, esso etc

iallen1@btinter
22-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I need to set trip readings up, as it shows the total miles but keeps changing to kmh it seems strange this, i will have to go into the menu and sort it, my old man was struggling with his and had to let dealer sort it, there seems too many menus for me and many you dont really use

Rhigour
22-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I have been filling at tesco for a few years know and havent really had any problems, is it true that supermarket juice is not as good as shell, esso etc

Its the unknown factor, remember the incident a year or two ago when some Tesco fuel was double dosed with additives and started ruining cars injectors. I understand Tesco now deal with Esso but the point is that this engine in particular will not abide petrol with a high sulphur content and I feel it best to buy where the quality is consistant