PDA

View Full Version : 2002 "service now" reset

vwbolton
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi all, I have just joined the site today. I have a 2002 Passat TDI 130 and the "service now" displays when starting the car up. The car is booked in for a service as I have noticed some black smoke and am advised that it will be rectified by a service. Until the service is done is there any way that the service now can be reset as it's getting a bit annoying. I have tried to hold in the right hand button on dash for 20 secs and then release but this doesn't seem to alleviate the problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.:beerchug:

ademuzzy
09-02-2009, 02:45 PM
The only way i know of resetting the service light on the dash is using VAG com software.

I'm not sure if thats the only way to do it, but it's the only way i know how to.
:beerchug:

vwbolton
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Ok, thanks very much for that, I guess I'll just have to wait until it's been serviced. It just seems like a co-incidence that as soon as the service required display came on I started seeing black smoke and a "flat" feeling when accelarating. Asked the mechanic who is doing the service and he tells me it it is just the injectors that are dirty and new fuel filter air filter should sort the problem along with his "special" fuel treatment.........
Someone else tells me that there may be too much air getting in and possibility of a split pipe somewhere..... does this seem feasable?
sorry not overly mechanical and just want to know that I'm not being ripped off....

snapdragon
09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
You can also reset the indicator using the odometer knob, I'm sure you will find the instructions on here or with google. This resets to 12,000 mile 1 year intervals rather than the Long Life variable.

Also, the service indicator would not cause smoke, and a service as per the service schedule is unlikely to cure it.

It is true that a leakage of intake air AFTER the turbo will cause this, as the air has already been measured but some of it never reaches the engine. Have the intake piping checked for leaks and splits.

Ok, thanks very much for that, I guess I'll just have to wait until it's been serviced. It just seems like a co-incidence that as soon as the service required display came on I started seeing black smoke and a "flat" feeling when accelarating. Asked the mechanic who is doing the service and he tells me it it is just the injectors that are dirty and new fuel filter air filter should sort the problem along with his "special" fuel treatment.........
Someone else tells me that there may be too much air getting in and possibility of a split pipe somewhere..... does this seem feasable?
sorry not overly mechanical and just want to know that I'm not being ripped off....

vwbolton
09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Once again, thanks for that. Am I right or have I been told correctly that the smoke blowing will not cause any long term problems and I'm ok using the car until next week until it goes in for the work?

martin1810
09-02-2009, 07:35 PM
You need to be more precise. Any diesel will seem to smoke more in cold weather until the engine is very warm. What colour is the smoke. White is unburnt fuel. A hint of blue suggests oil burning and black is a sign of fuel air mixture wrong. Black on hard acceleration is normal.

kenney
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Reset the display as follows:
Switch off ignition.
Press and hold button next to speedometer.
Switch on ignition.
On display “service” or “SERVICE NOW” appears.
Display unit in centre of dash panel insert orDisplay unit in speedometer
Release button .
Turn adjusting knob next to rev. counter to right.
The service displayed is being reset and the display in distance display or centre display changes to the normal state.
Switch off ignition

vwbolton
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
You need to be more precise. Any diesel will seem to smoke more in cold weather until the engine is very warm. What colour is the smoke. White is unburnt fuel. A hint of blue suggests oil burning and black is a sign of fuel air mixture wrong. Black on hard acceleration is normal.

Martin1810, the smoke is black but not just on hard acceleration. I think it is the air mixture according to what I'm told. I've noticed a black "sooty" patch on my driveway under the exhaust as well. I have added some Milllers fuel additive to try and make sure the injectors are cleaned but not noticed a huge difference yet. Also noticed that on motorway the engine seems "flat" at some stages. As stated the car is going in for service next week so hopefully will be diagnosed and sorted. Hopefully with new air filter, fuel filter and all hoses checked thoroughly the problem will be rectified. :Blush:

martin1810
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes. you seem to have everything covered. Ask garage to check vacuum system with mitivac. Takes them half an hour and will find any air leaks. Saves spending weeks wondering what is wrong.