PDA

View Full Version : Reverse light backup lights not working

jamie pockets
08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Guys odd one here, before I get down in the snow to check the reverse light switch on the gearbox, thought I'd check the bulbs, not a 30 sec job on the b5, both fine, checked with ignition on and in reverse on the two terminals from the cluster 13.2 volts fine, connect up to the cluster and this drops down to zip, anybody else experience this, I suspect the voltage is being leaked from another cirucit and just giving a false reading.

oh had both clusters removed at the time.

questions are the reverse lights direct from the switch, do they go through a relay and or are they on a dedicated fuse ???,

I suspect the switch

STEWY L
08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
bad earth perhaps?

martin1810
08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Voltage isn't being leaked from somewhere else. The voltage is ok but has no earth return as stewy says. Easy to test. Just run another wire from a good earth to the other side of the bulb. If it lights you know it's an earth fault. Make sure you don't accidently earth the live side.

jamie pockets
10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
not sure about the bad, earth, as the earth is taken directly of the cluster, if it were an earth issue it would show up as interaction on all the other bulbs, i.e indicators dimming break lights flashing, also it's on both sides, I'll get under her one evening this week when it's dried up !!!!

jamie pockets
10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
hmmm, on both sides though ?? are they common earthed then , or seperate on both sides, will test this little thought,

also seem to have a problem with the breaklights, everytime I dash out of the drivers seat and run around the back, they seem to be off..............

Will get back to you later

J

browser1
28-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi, what was the conclusion to your fault as I have the same problem??