PDA

View Full Version : wtb Mk 4 golf

nel636
07-03-2007, 01:03 AM
hi,

im new to the forum and was thinkin of buying a golf mk4. But just wanted abit advice.my current car is a little 1.2 punto (crap i know) and the ecu on it has gone and needs replacing. so i was on the hunt for a more reliable car. ive seen a 99 s reg mk 4 1.4 s golf for £3k but can get it for 2k w/ part ex on the punto when its fixed. thing is it has 91k on the clock. Is this much for a golf? and do you think i am getting a good deal for my money?

any help would be great.

heres a link to the dealers site its on page 4 and is the silver s reg.

http://www.sunnisidemotorco.co.uk/67/smc_stock.htm

Eshrules
07-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum :d try introducing yourself on :

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

just helps others to know a little more about your good self :d

as for the actual car..... take a look at the following thread, it contains most of the common faults, although the turbo will not apply in your situation:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6050

as for the car you have seen, a 99 s 1.4 s with 91k on the clock for 3k is a little high i'd say... its the very lowest model, with the very lowest engine, with quite a high mileage. i'm certain for 3k you could get a slightly better car

for example, a quick search on autotrader, just found:

Mk4 Gt Tdi Redeye
5dr, S reg. 92000 Miles, Black, T&T, a/w, ABS, a/c, PAS, RCL, e/w, e/m, 4x a/b, f&r armrests, 55 mpg, ex con in & out, ftswb, hard to find. £3,000. ovno. .

key to getting a good golf, be patient, do your research and pick holes in the car you're going to buy, even if something as simple as the seat has a stain on it, it reduces the value and gives you leverage with the dealer. always make sure you get a good, comprehensive warranty with no daft claim limits and you'll be fine :D

RickT
07-03-2007, 09:37 AM
THATS is too much cash for that model of car with that engine...

Have a look through the auto trader online and you will soon see theres better deals to be had..

RiCKT

nel636
07-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah i wish i could get one of the better engines but lets face it im 21 and the insurance company doesnt look to likely on this!
I was looking at the model because of the engine size and because i wanted a golf.
What would you's recommend then?
And if i did decide to go for that range how much would you say the 1.4 is worth? Ive seen 2 litre gti's etc but my insurance will hit the roof!

cheers

redmax90
07-03-2007, 10:33 PM
hi im 20 and have a 90hp tdi ..group 6 ..insurance should be no probs !

nel636
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM
So how much do you pay and for what?

redmax90
07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
well since im in northern ireland ..its pretty much irrelevant ..i paid 1000 fully comp..nothin to go by ...id say if u canget it for 300 or so ull be doin good

nel636
07-03-2007, 10:51 PM
can i ask what do you mean if i can get it for 300? get what?

redmax90
09-03-2007, 07:49 PM
insurance !

bora(ing) nick
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
£300 was my deposit !!! well £352 to be precise(sp?)

My insurance is £1700 Third party only.....

I'm 21, got 4 years driving experience as a named driver, and i drive a 55 plate 1.9 TDI (PD 100) Bora.

It's way too expensive for young male drivers in Manchester. I'd of stay'd on my dads insurance for life but i was still paying around £1000 a year then.

Hopefully, when i get my renewal through it should be around the £1100 mark.

Nick

Eshrules
10-03-2007, 12:30 PM
£300 was my deposit !!! well £352 to be precise(sp?)

My insurance is £1700 Third party only.....

I'm 21, got 4 years driving experience as a named driver, and i drive a 55 plate 1.9 TDI (PD 100) Bora.

It's way too expensive for young male drivers in Manchester. I'd of stay'd on my dads insurance for life but i was still paying around £1000 a year then.

Hopefully, when i get my renewal through it should be around the £1100 mark.

Nick

i agree, but then this high cost is justified by the amount of young male drivers writing cars off etc etc, its annoying, im 23 this year, ill have a years no claims and 2 years license... im still going to be looking at around 1200/1300 for my 115 golf gt tdi. currently paying 1500 LOL

Eshrules
10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah i wish i could get one of the better engines but lets face it im 21 and the insurance company doesnt look to likely on this!
I was looking at the model because of the engine size and because i wanted a golf.
What would you's recommend then?
And if i did decide to go for that range how much would you say the 1.4 is worth? Ive seen 2 litre gti's etc but my insurance will hit the roof!

cheers

IMHO, if you're insurance is that expensive matey, id probably wait a while before getting a golf..... no matter what engine you get (there are obviously going to be vast variations between a 1.4 and a gti), you are still going to pay through the nose, quite simply because it is a golf, get a 3 door and even worse.... golf's are classed as hot hatches, their desirable and pinchable, thats the 3 worst things a car can be, if for instance, you went for a fiat seicento, its crap, undesirable and not likely to be pinched at all, the engine size isnt the only variable that comes into play when an insurance company gives you a quote.... might be worthwhile bearing that in mind :beerchug: