PDA

View Full Version : Jerky Mk3 Golf 1.4

Wooly
06-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I recently purchased a mk3 Golf 1.4 and when I picked it up it misfired slightly. Having now been in and out of the garage 3 times its ar worse! Its tickover is eratic (will suddenly drop almost stop then pick up or not) it feels like its misfiring when you get it to drive and every now and then it coughs and dies on me then doesn't want to restart but eventually does.
Basically its running like a pig and so far its had a new distributor (code says its the hall sensor so another new distributor was sourced and fitted and it still says hall sensor!) also had a new coil, ht leads, spark plugs, o2 sensor checked, new temp sensor , air cleaner and had the throttle body swapped plus the ecu been re-programmed.
So its a wee bit annoying that the thinhgs still useless can't drive it as you are never too far away from it dieing on you in the middle of a rounderbout or main highway.
So can you tell me whats the problem please ????
MAF Sensor (Mass Air-flow Sensor) do I have one and could this be the fault ??
Regards
Tony

bennypc
29-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi
I have a similar problem, it is not stalling but is intermittently jerky!
have you solved your problem yet?
also the code that comes on display when I start the car is "IN 001", I am not sure what it is ?
Ben

herby0001
30-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi
also the code that comes on display when I start the car is "IN 001", I am not sure what it is ?
Ben

IN 01 is a service interval indicator, so nothing to worry about. This is normally reset by the dealer, but it can easily be done by pressing one of the clock buttons and turning the ignition. If you can't find the info on another post, let me know and I'll give you the info from the repair manual. Actually, having an older Golf, I find the Haynes manual invaluable. Got one off ebay for £5.

Wooly
06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Ben,
Well we thought we had garage diagnosed a faulty battery (was only giving 9volts under load). So new battery was fitted and all seemed ok for a couple of weeks starting and running fine. But the misfiring while dreiving has re-appeared although it still starts fine currently. So whether some component is draggibg the battery down I din't know haven't had time to get it checked yet.
Have seen some posts elswhere talking about the ECU relay being a known problem with these cars so might just change that and see what happens.
let me know if you've sorted your problems.
Regards
Tony

bennypc
13-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks , got one Haynes Manual.
ben
It is still a bit erratic on starting with rev counter bitunsteady and while driving it seems to be a jerky at times- never stopped! so managing for the moment. I have changed the clutch last week with a moprod clutch. Any idea where the knock sensor is for this model??
B