PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Front Foglights to 2002 Passat

apj
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi
I am fitting front fogs to my passat. Are there wires with connectors lurking somewhere nearby from the loom, that just need plugging in, or do I have to lay in some new ones?

Thanks

snapdragon
06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Highly unlikely, usually requires everything including switch and wire loom from that to the new lights.

grhdylan
07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I did this last year & had to run a new a new wire to the front of car, but it was an easy job :D

apj
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi

Was this a seperate cable or a new loom?
If it was a seperate wire, what did you use for connectors and did you power it from the headlights?

I have a new oem switch installed.

Regards

grhdylan
07-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi

Was this a seperate cable or a new loom?
If it was a seperate wire, what did you use for connectors and did you power it from the headlights?

I have a new oem switch installed.

Regards

I used a oem switch also. What i did was to go to the scrap yard, get any VW light switch loom conector block, cut the wires so there's a few inches of wire still attached to the conector block. When your home you can cut the plastic block to get the wires & spring metal ends out. Get one that is the same size as on the passat & push it in. Get yourself a 30a relay, find the light switch wire(trigger wire) .Then rear fog lamp (12v feed) fuse wire & tap in & connect to relay. Another wire to relay to ground (bolt near fusebox) .Last wire goes to lamps, I went from behind fuses up into ECU box.then theres a rubber grommet on front, through that & into pelumum chamber, then theres another rubber grommet into engine bay.Route wire down to the lamps. Them you will need to earth the lamps, i went to the earth point for the horn. I hope this helps, took me 2-3 hours, well worth it !

deano-1000
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi apj,
I did this when I first got my Passat, had to make up a cable to supply the lights as there isn't any spare in the original loom. The connectors were sourced from a breakers yard, off a skoda if I remember correctly, (but look at all the vw group cars)
The feed came straight out of the light switch, the one with front and rear fog light switching that is, there's a spare connector for the front fogs, I soldered to this and the negative to a good ground. The switch has enough capacity not to warrant fitting a relay or a seperate fuse.
Mines been working like this for 4 years now with no problems at all.

martin1810
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
A word of warning. Modern plastic switches are not designed to power high current devices directly. They should operate a suitable relay which has its own fused supply. If a high resistance develops anywhere in the wireing the switch will overheat and melt.

SKINNYSEAND
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Are you fitting aftermarket fog lamps?

deano-1000
07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
A word of warning. Modern plastic switches are not designed to power high current devices directly. They should operate a suitable relay which has its own fused supply. If a high resistance develops anywhere in the wireing the switch will overheat and melt.

When I switch the front fogs on, there is a click under the dash, a relay that is already there, I just didn't see the point of fitting another one. Also when the fuse for the sidelights is removed, the fogs don't work.

apj
07-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Are you fitting aftermarket fog lamps?
Hi
I am using Depo replacement fogs which I got on eBay (£70 a pair + postage) but don't buy the grilles on eBay, they are only £5.70p + vat each from VW. Some of the eBay sellers want £20 a pair + £9 postage.

apj
07-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi apj,
I did this when I first got my Passat, had to make up a cable to supply the lights as there isn't any spare in the original loom. The connectors were sourced from a breakers yard, off a skoda if I remember correctly, (but look at all the vw group cars)
The feed came straight out of the light switch, the one with front and rear fog light switching that is, there's a spare connector for the front fogs, I soldered to this and the negative to a good ground. The switch has enough capacity not to warrant fitting a relay or a seperate fuse.
Mines been working like this for 4 years now with no problems at all.
Thanks very much

SKINNYSEAND
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I spent all evening yesterday fitting a pair of fog lamps and I was satisfied with the result. They work brilliantly.